• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MLB new hit king!

Even 300 wins will become less common.

I'm not sure I see a 6-man rotation coming, but rather 5 innings as a "quality start". There is such a thing as too much rest for a pitcher's arm.

Medical advances are improving drastically.

Soon pitchers will be able to recover from TJ surgery in 3-6 months. I could see a few 30 qame winners.

Medical advances are improving drastically.

Soon pitchers will be able to recover from TJ surgery in 3-6 months. I could see a few 30 qame winners.
I believe one should never say 'never'. We may see a 30 game winner again someday, but if so it will be very rare and an entire season will have to fall just right.

Last edited:
He probably would've won. The difference is that is an irrelevant hypothetical and this one is relevant when talking about which player is better and generating hits.

Not really. Japan league is what it is.

I was a pretty good hitter when the fast balls were 75 or 80 MPH. The first time I saw an 90 MPH ball, I was entirely outclassed.

If the hits were not made in MLB, they weren't.

The guy might be a wonderful human being and so forth, but the hits were not hit in the league you're talking about.

This is not even a consideration.

Not really. Japan league is what it is.

I was a pretty good hitter when the fast balls were 75 or 80 MPH. The first time I saw an 90 MPH ball, I was entirely outclassed.

If the hits were not made in MLB, they weren't.

The guy might be a wonderful human being and so forth, but the hits were not hit in the league you're talking about.

This is not even a consideration.

I'm not arguing they should count as MLB hits. I'm arguing he would've gotten more hits than Rose if he played his full career in the US. This is evidenced by the fact he got more hits in EVERY one of his first ten MLB seasons than he got in ANY Japanese one.

Often their hits per season go up because minor leagues play 140ish games a season. BA doesn't, but hits still do

I grew up in Minnesota. One of the big thrills of my life was watching Kirby Pucket's walk off homer in the 11th inning in the World Series Against the Braves. Everyone knew that ball was gone when the ball left the bat. the noise was unbelievable. My chest was vibrating with the roar.

Pucket's career was ended prematurely when a MLB pitcher wanted to back him off the plate and shattered his eye socket high heat inside. No more hits for Kirby.

MLB is different than other leagues. Just sayin'...

I grew up in Minnesota. One of the big thrills of my life was watching Kirby Pucket's walk off homer in the 11th inning in the World Series Against the Braves. Everyone knew that ball was gone when the ball left the bat. the noise was unbelievable. My chest was vibrating with the roar.

Pucket's career was ended prematurely when a MLB pitcher wanted to back him off the plate and shattered his eye socket high heat inside. No more hits for Kirby.

Right which is why Ichiro shouldn't have the official record or anything. Something could've happened like an injury. (Although unlikely considering in his 16 year MLB career he's only missed two weeks and that was for an ulcer.

Right, which is one of the reasons I'm not suggesting we actually count them, the other being they're literally not major league hits. But it is worthwhile to look at when deciding who was better at creating hits and who would likely have the crown if they both came up in America.

Ah-ha! Well that's entirely different.

Kind of like arguing if the SEC is better than the Big 10. There is no actual answer, but the conversation is fun.

Well, fun if you're arguing on the SEC side...

I'm not arguing they should count as MLB hits. I'm arguing he would've gotten more hits than Rose if he played his full career in the US. This is evidenced by the fact he got more hits in EVERY one of his first ten MLB seasons than he got in ANY Japanese one.

Ichiro is the true hit king. He's a better overall player than Rose and twice the person.

Ichiro is the true hit king. He's a better overall player than Rose and twice the person.

Correct on both counts. However, he doesn't have more MLB hits than Rose does.

its always been that way. when I was a boy my father used to take me to the Reds games all the time. My father noted that the reds had a promising young hitter. His first game in the majors was game one of a double header. he was hit everytime he came to the plate. The other team's pitcher was trying to hurt him with pitches at his head and knees. He never made it in the pros. In the next game-back to back no hitter pitcher Johnny Vandameer was sent out. He hit several of the other players. As my father noted (he was at both games) JV was either throwing at the heads of the other players or at their jocks. He also had a control issue so sometimes he hit them in other places. The Ump didn't throw him out of the game even though it was obvious he was looking to put a hurting on the other team.

The MLB hit king is Gus Weyhling.

He's such a great guy he still uses an interpreter. Total dickwad. No wonder you like him.

He's such a great guy he still uses an interpreter. Total dickwad. No wonder you like him.

Ichiro is by all accounts a great person. That interpreter insult that some people throw at him is way overblown.

Ichiro is by all accounts a great person. That interpreter insult that some people throw at him is way overblown.
I agree using an interpreter is a dickwad move, but he's still classier than Rose.

I agree using an interpreter is a dickwad move, but he's still classier than Rose.

I don't see how its a dickwad move at all. He speaks English to his teammates. He just doesn't want to be misinterpreted in interviews, which seems to make sense to me with the media ****storm that can happen if he were to accidentally say something wrong.

No it's not. It's disrespectful. He's been in this country for over 15 years. His English is better than that. Act like it.

I don't see how its a dickwad move at all. He speaks English to his teammates. He just doesn't want to be misinterpreted in interviews, which seems to make sense to me with the media ****storm that can happen if he were to accidentally say something wrong.
If that's his concern then he should do a George Hendrick and not talk to the media at all. Sorry, but that doesn't wash. It's a passive-aggressive move to discourage the media. It's a small insult to the country and system that he chose that is providing more fame and fortune than he would have otherwise gotten in Japan.

He's being a total *****.

No it's not. It's disrespectful. He's been in this country for over 15 years. His English is better than that. Act like it.

I think that's easy for someone to say who isn't being scrutinized by millions of people. He speaks passable English. He speaks perfect Japanese. If he wants to do his interviews in the language which he fully and immediately understands, I have no problem with that.

He's being a total *****.

No he's not. Colon's been here 20 years and he still uses an interpreter and nobody gets on his ass for it. Plenty of Hispanic players do.

If that's his concern then he should do a George Hendrick and not talk to the media at all. Sorry, but that doesn't wash. It's a passive-aggressive move to discourage the media. It's a small insult to the country and system that he chose that is providing more fame and fortune than he would have otherwise gotten in Japan.

I think not doing media at all would be a dick move of an entirely different level. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to understand the questions and be understood clearly. And not have to pause and look dumb between every sentence while translating things in your head.

And it's not like plenty of players don't do this. Bartolo Colon has been here 20 years and still uses an interpreter exclusively.

Back
Top Bottom