• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mitt Romney: The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.

joko104

Banned
Suspended
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Mitt Romney: The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.

(Romney's OP ED)

"The Trump presidency made a deep descent in December. The departures of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, the appointment of senior persons of lesser experience, the abandonment of allies who fight beside us, and the president痴 thoughtles claim ong been a “sucker” in world affairs all defined his presidency down.

It is well known that Donald Trump was not my cholice for the Republican presidential nomination. After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not. When he won the election, I hoped he would rise to the occasion. His early appointments of Rex Tillerson, Jeff Sessions, Nikki Haley, Gary Cohn, H.R. McMaster, Kelly and Mattis were encouraging. But, on balance, his conduct over the past two years, particularly his actions this month, is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office."

cont...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opin...cter-falls-short/ar-BBRHc58?OCID=ansmsnnews11

----------------------------

After he lost his presidential bid, Mitt Romney threw a total temper tantrum rage at the Republican Party and became the loudest Democrat and pro-Hilarly supporter of all.

So stupidly, Republicans nominated him as a carpet bagger to the US Senate, where he again is becoming the Democratic Party's voice against the Republican President. If Romney believes becoming the most rabid Democrat in the US Senate is his path to the presidency he is an idiot. But, then, Romney did run idiotic Presidential campaigns.

Praxas

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

(Romney's OP ED)

"The Trump presidency made a deep descent in December. The departures of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, the appointment of senior persons of lesser experience, the abandonment of allies who fight beside us, and the president痴 thoughtles claim ong been a “sucker” in world affairs all defined his presidency down.

It is well known that Donald Trump was not my cholice for the Republican presidential nomination. After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not. When he won the election, I hoped he would rise to the occasion. His early appointments of Rex Tillerson, Jeff Sessions, Nikki Haley, Gary Cohn, H.R. McMaster, Kelly and Mattis were encouraging. But, on balance, his conduct over the past two years, particularly his actions this month, is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office."

cont...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opin...cter-falls-short/ar-BBRHc58?OCID=ansmsnnews11

After he lost his presidential bid, Mitt Romney threw a total temper tantrum rage at the Republican Party and became the loudest Democrat and pro-Hilarly supporter of all.

So stupidly, Republicans nominated him as a carpet bagger to the US Senate, where he again is becoming the Democratic Party's voice against the Republican President. If Romney believes becoming the most rabid Democrat in the US Senate is his path to the presidency he is an idiot. But, then, Romney did run idiotic Presidential campaigns.

Since you seem to disagree with what Romney said, perhaps you can show the error in his statement:

"A president should demonstrate the essential qualities of honesty and integrity, and elevate the national discourse with comity and mutual respect. ... And it is in this province where the incumbent's shortfall has been most glaring," Romney wrote.

OrphanSlug

A sinister place...
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Romney's comments sure have hit a nerve with Trump supporters.

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I fail to see a remarkable difference between Romney's op-ed and the hundreds of tweets and comments by other Republicans about being "super troubled" by something Trump did. Maybe I'm just missing something.

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Ben Shapiro's opinion:

So, what’s Romney doing with his op-ed? Nothing useful. In fact, he’s doing something seriously counterproductive. If Senator Romney wants to sound off against Trump’s excesses and character flaws, he should by all means do so in response to Trump’s tweets or statements or actions. But by forcing a “Love Trump or Leave Trump” choice on Republicans, he’s actually doing the work of both the most ardent Trumpists and the most viciously antagonistic members of the Democratic party and the media. https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/01/mitt-romneys-donald-trump-attack-op-ed-counterproductive/

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Even Romney's niece agreed with Trump. Mitt was in the wrong with his editorial.

His niece made the decision to send campaign support to a pedophile. She also dropped "Romney" from her name because Trump found it offensive.

Let me repeat that for anyone who thinks I just uttered nonsense: Trump told her to change her name because her name offended him, and she did.

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
His niece made the decision to send campaign support to a pedophile. She also dropped "Romney" from her name because Trump found it offensive.

Let me repeat that for anyone who thinks I just uttered nonsense: Trump told her to change her name because her name offended him, and she did.

Fake news. Give me a break.

OrphanSlug

A sinister place...
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Even Romney's niece agreed with Trump. Mitt was in the wrong with his editorial.

Ben Shapiro's opinion:

So, what’s Romney doing with his op-ed? Nothing useful. In fact, he’s doing something seriously counterproductive. If Senator Romney wants to sound off against Trump’s excesses and character flaws, he should by all means do so in response to Trump’s tweets or statements or actions. But by forcing a “Love Trump or Leave Trump” choice on Republicans, he’s actually doing the work of both the most ardent Trumpists and the most viciously antagonistic members of the Democratic party and the media. https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/01/mitt-romneys-donald-trump-attack-op-ed-counterproductive/

You mean the RNC Chair and the National Review are not interested in an issue dividing Republicans... I'm shocked, anyone else?

Praxas

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Show what the error is with his statement:

"A president should demonstrate the essential qualities of honesty and integrity, and elevate the national discourse with comity and mutual respect. ... And it is in this province where the incumbent's shortfall has been most glaring," Romney wrote.

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Fake news. Give me a break.

The Republican National Committee is following in the footsteps of President Donald Trump and supporting Alabama senatorial candidate Roy Moore, according to an RNC official.

The official confirmed to ABC News that the party will be sending resources to Alabama in the final week of the race after pulling funding in November over allegations of sexual misconduct by Moore.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep...es-support-roy-moore-senate/story?id=51580284

Before Ronna Romney McDaniel took over as Republican National Committee chairwoman earlier this year, President Trump had a request: Would she be willing to stop using her middle name publicly?

Trump followed up by saying in a lighthearted way that McDaniel, the niece of former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, could do what she wanted, according to two people familiar with the comments. But the change was soon plain for all to see. Though she had used her maiden name for years in Michigan, where her grandfather George W. Romney had been governor, McDaniel dropped "Romney" from most official party communications and has rarely used it since.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...066faf731ef_story.html?utm_term=.391f60db5503

Before Trump "asked" her to stop using her full name she went by Ronna Romney McDaniel. After he "asked" her to stop using her full name...poof..."Romney" disappeared from her name.

Born Free

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

You called Romney correctly "an idiot".

slick

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I fail to see a remarkable difference between Romney's op-ed and the hundreds of tweets and comments by other Republicans about being "super troubled" by something Trump did. Maybe I'm just missing something.

You're correct maybe 60% of the entire Republican Party in congress are not in lockstep with the American first agenda but they forget that
90% of the Republicans are with Trump & more than 60% of those are with Trump come hell or high water. That's why I no
longer donate to The Republican Party as some of my donations have gone to elect the likes of Romney, Flake, Kasich and a bunch
of like minded less visual members!

Born Free

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Still Romney has support of White evangelicals....Most who loathe trump.....They won't Democrat but may not vote trump either...Watch and See

That's really something, the White evangelicals support should put Romney in the oval office.

WillyPete

The sound of one chao mooing.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Mitt Romney might be an alien infiltrating Earth. I certainly felt that way about him in 2012.

But I'll take him over Trump every day, because I know exactly what Trump is.

Saladin4

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
That's really something, the White evangelicals support should put Romney in the oval office.

No, it won't...But if they vote independent..or don't vote at all ...It hurts trump......Romney knows this

Tanngrisnir

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

(Romney's OP ED)

cont...

Huh. WHAT a surprise. Literally nothing you stated is true and/or based in reality.

upsideguy

Pragmatic Idealist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Please explain what he got wrong....

In fact, here are 2016 endorsements from some of America's most conservative papers, each told us Trump was unfit for office. What did they get wrong?

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2016/09/07/recommend-hillary-clinton-us-president
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/op...dorses-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/90728344/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...-editorial-board-editorials-debates/91295020/
Endorsement: Hillary Clinton is the only choice to move America ahead

Please tell us how Trump's character is up to the standards of an American President. Many of us that are dumbfounded by your assertion need to understand where you are coming from... The stage is yours.

Microphone on Stage.jpg

Born Free

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
No, it won't...But if they vote independent..or don't vote at all ...It hurts trump......Romney knows this

Not to worry they will be voting for Trump. What you think they want a liberal in the oval office. Never happen

Saladin4

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Not to worry they will be voting for Trump. What you think they want a liberal in the oval office. Never happen

Most can't stand trump, If Romney stands up to trump he could cause problems, trump needs every white voter he can get ...Romney knows this

Born Free

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Most can't stand trump, If Romney stands up to trump he could cause problems, trump needs every white voter he can get ...Romney knows this

Romney is a has been, Corker and Flake left office because they could not get reelected.

Top Bottom