• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mitt Romney: The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Last edited:
elevator Mitt has quite the ego...

Great! So does Trump. But I don't think they are evenly matched. Trump still thinks & acts like an autocratic Manhattan real estate mogul but Romney is a seasoned politician from a very conservative - and wealthy - state. And Trumpism is hardly conservativism.

Great! So does Trump. But I don't think they are evenly matched. Trump still thinks & acts like a Manhattan real estate mogul but Romney is a seasoned politician from a very conservative - and wealthy - state.

LOL, "Trump still thinks & acts like a Manhattan real estate mogul"

He does not and never did. He thinks and acts like a shyster. Seriously.

Romney's time has come and gone, I find it very unlikely he can pull off yet another run for President and all of a sudden be successful this time.

That being said, Romney's piece somewhat accurate.

I do not agree with all of Trump's policies so I would not share Romney's position there, but on Trump's character and what the Presidency should be Romney is right.

I am not so sure I share Romney's optimism either, but it would stand to reason that Romney would offer a positive message on the assumption he does more than write opinion pieces.

Not much difference, is there?

Romney's time has come and gone, I find it very unlikely he can pull off yet another run for President and all of a sudden be successful this time.

I do not agree with all of Trump's policies so I would not share Romney's position there, but on Trump's character and what the Presidency should be Romney is right.

I am not so sure I share Romney's optimism either, but it would stand to reason that Romney would offer a positive message on the assumption he does more than write opinion pieces.

He could be an effective 'spoiler' in the Repub primary in 2019-2020. At least it will beat watching reruns of 'Shark Tank.'

He could be an effective 'spoiler' in the Repub primary in 2019-2020. At least it will beat watching reruns of 'Shark Tank.'

what is it he can spoil?

what is it he can spoil?

I'll try to be polite: can you post anything other than questions directed at my posts? I don't feel obligated to reply to such posts.

I'll try to be polite: .

Don't bother just make sense.

can you post anything other than questions directed at my posts?

If I can figure out what it is you are saying I can better guide you, yes.

I don't feel obligated to reply to such posts

LOL, you don't answer questions... got it.

My take is, you talk in generalities and do not understand the issues you speak to hence you can't answer what is a very simple question.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...898adc28fa2_story.html?utm_term=.b65a61fc6dbf

Yesterday's op ed by Mitt Romney may signal that he may be Moby Dick to Trump's Ahab in the 2020 Republican primary. Romney already has a solid base & track record & a lot more money than Trump. (My apologies to the very late Herman Melville).

challenges to a sitting president hasn't been successful for the challenger or the party in which the sitting president is challenged. 1952 Kefauver challenged sitting president Truman in the New Hampshire primary. Kefauver won, Truman withdrew. But Stevenson won the Democratic nomination instead of Kefauver and promptly lost to Eisenhower. 1968 McCarthy challenged LBJ, LBJ barely won the New Hampshire primary over McCarthy causing LBJ to withdraw. The Democratic nomination went to Humphrey, not McCarthy whom lost to Richard Nixon. 1980, Ted Kennedy challenged Jimmy Carter. Carter prevailed, but Jimmy was swamped by Reagan, Carter lost big time. 1992, G.H.W Bush was challenged by Pat Buchanan, Bush dispatched Buchanan, but lost the presidential to Bill Clinton.

The four who initially challenged a sitting president didn't win the nomination and the party where a sitting president was challenged, lost in November. If Romney were to challenged Trump, if Trump decides to run again which I don't think he will. If Romney challenges Trump, Romney loses, then Trump loses in November. Exactly what you want.

I agree as well. The president should at least in character, attempt to represent the best of us.

The four who initially challenged a sitting president didn't win the nomination and the party where a sitting president was challenged, lost in November. If Romney were to challenged Trump, if Trump decides to run again which I don't think he will. If Romney challenges Trump, Romney loses, then Trump loses in November. Exactly what you want.
If Trump thinks he can win, I believe he’ll run again. If Romney challenges Trump I wouldn’t be in the least surprised to see many Republican officials and voters shift to his camp and possibly take the nomination away from Trump. Understanding history’s lessons, things are much different today and Trump is the most different person ever to become president. After 4 years of Trump it’s entirely possible that the Republican Party could choose to get behind Romney, seeing it as the party’s only chance to hold onto the White House.

But who knows? Two years is an eternity from now.

Romney fairly well nailed Trumps lack of integrity and honor.

You seem to think that those are two different things.

Romney has never patched things up with Trump even though Romney has said just the opposite. Romney for president in 2020.

If Trump thinks he can win, I believe he’ll run again. If Romney challenges Trump I wouldn’t be in the least surprised to see many Republican officials and voters shift to his camp and possibly take the nomination away from Trump. Understanding history’s lessons, things are much different today and Trump is the most different person ever to become president. After 4 years of Trump it’s entirely possible that the Republican Party could choose to get behind Romney, seeing it as the party’s only chance to hold onto the White House.

Romney is a failed presidential candidate. Why would the GOP run him again? I agree, some in the GOP would like Romney to run again but the real question is would Romney win? I highly doubt.

Indeed, two years is an eternity. Perhaps history does tell us something, most of the Republican leaders, establishment if you will for lack of a better word. They were against Trump from the beginning. But Trump had a hard core constituency, faction within the GOP of approximately 35%. Far from a majority, but in an 18 candidate field, more than enough to sweep up delegates with 30-35% winning the primaries. Even when the candidates narrowed, those leaders, the establishment, lifelong republicans, weren't able to decide on a single candidate to challenge Trump. In a huge field, it pays to have the largest faction of loyal supporters.

Yes, Trump is unique in his behavior, very unpresidential, uncouth from my point of view. He has lost the independent voters as of now that propelled him into the white house. I can see those same party leaders backing Romney if Trump does run again, but I think it would be to the same no avail with the largest faction within the GOP. That faction has grown, call them avid Trumpers from 35% to around 60% of the party. I think most party leaders do not fall into the avid Trumper category or even a lot of their elected officials. To go against Trump risks the wrath of those avid Trumper's who make up a slight majority of the party today.

Regardless whether it is Trump, Romney or someone else, I highly doubt due to the independent voter dislike of Trump that they can be won back in time for the 2020 general election. That is unless the democrats nominate another Hillary Clinton type candidate. then all bets are off.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...898adc28fa2_story.html?utm_term=.b65a61fc6dbf

Yesterday's op ed by Mitt Romney may signal that he may be Moby Dick to Trump's Ahab in the 2020 Republican primary. Romney already has a solid base & track record & a lot more money than Trump. (My apologies to the very late Herman Melville).

Speaking of character, Romney was all too happy to accept Trump's support for his Senate run. Then after he was elected he turned on Trump. He was also more than happy to consider a position on Trump's cabinet and met Trump at dinner to talk over the job.

If that's an example of Romney's superior character then I'll leave it. What a phony.

I don't know if he'd be able to launch a successful primary against a sitting president. Even if there are Republicans who understand the travesty of Trump, it would be quite an uproar to have a primary against Trump for 2020. And if the challenger happened to lose, it would only embolden Trump to be more caustic and abrasive.

But fundamentally, he is right. Trump has, on every level, failed to rise to the prestige, honor, or respect of the venerable office of President.

Romney has never patched things up with Trump even though Romney has said just the opposite. Romney for president in 2020.

maybe he can take an elevator to teh top job?

I can't stand teh ego maniac religious when it suits him nut.

maybe he can take an elevator to teh top job?

I can't stand teh ego maniac religious when it suits him nut.

I'm making sure I'm clear. I'm not for Romney and Romney, as GOP candidate for president, in 2020 won't win.

Back
Top Bottom