• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mitt Romney: The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.

The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.

Being "Presidential" meant being a unifier - THE unifier of our country; at least it was in the past. Not anymore.

Trump is clinging to the 30%, or so, Americans that will support him no matter what he does, what he says or what position he takes; even when it's NOT in the country's best interest. While he clings to his 30% he ACTIVELY WORKS … to alienate the rest of America, which has solidified the support of the 30% at the expense of everything America has previously stood for. Foreign policy and Alliances have been ACTIVELY denigrated while at the same time kowtowing to our enemies. His domestic polices have precipitated the worst stock market performance in a decade.

But the real failure of the trump misadministration is rather than heal and bring the nation together he has ACTIVELY divided out nation, he lacks any sense of Statesmanship. All that's important to trump is trump, our nation be damned. He's a disgrace to himself, America and all qualities of goodness in the world.

Being "Presidential" meant being a unifier - THE unifier of our country; at least it was in the past. Not anymore.

Trump is clinging to the 30%, or so, Americans that will support him no matter what he does, what he says or what position he takes; even when it's NOT in the country's best interest. While he clings to his 30% he ACTIVELY WORKS … to alienate the rest of America, which has solidified the support of the 30% at the expense of everything America has previously stood for. Foreign policy and Alliances have been ACTIVELY denigrated while at the same time kowtowing to our enemies. His domestic polices have precipitated the worst stock market performance in a decade.

But the real failure of the trump misadministration is rather than heal and bring the nation together he has ACTIVELY divided out nation, he lacks any sense of Statesmanship. All that's important to trump is trump, our nation be damned.

You globalists don't understand the intent of Trump's nationalism. Trump wants what's best for the US and not what's best for the world in spite of the US.

Romney is a failed presidential candidate. Why would the GOP run him again? I agree, some in the GOP would like Romney to run again but the real question is would Romney win? I highly doubt.
The GOP never wanted Trump. They didn’t get behind him until until they had no choice. Now, two years (almost) into his term, many still have no love for him. It doesn’t take much of a leap to think the GOP would dump him in a heartbeat if they thought it was their best chance. Romney’s failure in running for president wasn’t because he was a bad candidate, it was because the other guy was a better candidate. No way to know if he’d have a shot in ‘20 as the Dems are far away from picking their nominee. Again, just speculating.

Indeed, two years is an eternity. Perhaps history does tell us something, most of the Republican leaders, establishment if you will for lack of a better word. They were against Trump from the beginning. But Trump had a hard core constituency, faction within the GOP of approximately 35%. Far from a majority, but in an 18 candidate field, more than enough to sweep up delegates with 30-35% winning the primaries. Even when the candidates narrowed, those leaders, the establishment, lifelong republicans, weren't able to decide on a single candidate to challenge Trump. In a huge field, it pays to have the largest faction of loyal supporters.

Yes, Trump is unique in his behavior, very unpresidential, uncouth from my point of view. He has lost the independent voters as of now that propelled him into the white house. I can see those same party leaders backing Romney if Trump does run again, but I think it would be to the same no avail with the largest faction within the GOP. That faction has grown, call them avid Trumpers from 35% to around 60% of the party. I think most party leaders do not fall into the avid Trumper category or even a lot of their elected officials. To go against Trump risks the wrath of those avid Trumper's who make up a slight majority of the party today.

Regardless whether it is Trump, Romney or someone else, I highly doubt due to the independent voter dislike of Trump that they can be won back in time for the 2020 general election. That is unless the democrats nominate another Hillary Clinton type candidate. then all bets are off.
Knowing what portion of Trump’s base would stick with him given a choice between he and Romney two years out is tough to predict, but I do agree that an ever growing majority of voters will be ready to show Republicans the door in ‘20 unless something big happens to change their view of Trump.

You globalists don't understand the intent of Trump's nationalism. Trump wants what's best for the US and not what's best for the world in spite of the US.

I am an AmeriCAN; first, last and foremost from my first to my last breath. Trump's "nationalism" is a fiction.<--period. Trump's ONLY concern is what's best for trump. He ONLY feeds raw meet to his base to keep them in tow. He has NO thought for America or AmeriCANs.

POTUS before family. This is the same person who was told to remove "Romney" from her public name.

https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1080475217850519552

Ronna McDaniel@GOPChairwoman

POTUS is attacked and obstructed by the MSM media and Democrats 24/7. For an incoming Republican freshman senator to attack @realdonaldtrump as their first act feeds into what the Democrats and media want and is disappointing and unproductive.

6:45 AM - 2 Jan 2019

The GOP never wanted Trump. They didn’t get behind him until until they had no choice. Now, two years (almost) into his term, many still have no love for him. It doesn’t take much of a leap to think the GOP would dump him in a heartbeat if they thought it was their best chance. Romney’s failure in running for president wasn’t because he was a bad candidate, it was because the other guy was a better candidate. No way to know if he’d have a shot in ‘20 as the Dems are far away from picking their nominee. Again, just speculating.

Knowing what portion of Trump’s base would stick with him given a choice between he and Romney two years out is tough to predict, but I do agree that an ever growing majority of voters will be ready to show Republicans the door in ‘20 unless something big happens to change their view of Trump.

Exactly. I agree on that. I don't think their view of Trump will change. It's the man himself, more than policy or stances on issues that the folks dislike. This is something Trump supporters and even some Republicans don't understand. 2018 wasn't so much a rejection of Trump's policies, at least for independents. On a list of 16 different issues, independents are for some, against some, pretty much split. take a good look at the results of this question.
Question 64. Trump Likability
Regardless of whether you agree with him, do you like or dislike Donald Trump as a person?

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/32i3vgsdj6/econTabReport.pdf

You can see all the demographic breakdowns, from gender to race to political affiliation, age, etc. Quite interesting and the biggest problem for Trump and the GOP, most folks just don't like him. Even if you agree with his policies, A lot of those folks still don't like him. History has shown that usually people don't vote for someone they dislike.

that is unless that someone really dislikes the other candidate more as what happened in 2016. Independents put Trump into the White House and here is the reason why: Questions 10 and 11. Independents simply disliked Clinton, 70% unfavorable to Trump's 57% unfavorable.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/l37rosbwjp/econTabReport_lv.pdf

Oh here we go. Dem trolls pretending to be praising Romney.

3 things i need to know about mitt: 1. he's a carpetbagger. pick a state and stick with it. 2. he didn't have the spine to stand up to candy crowley during the debates & don't trust him to have a spine to defend and protect the american people. 3. no matter what he says now, he's a never-trumper and Trump has enough on his plate than to deal with another rino. This guy is a lightweight. & he hates PRESIDENT TRUMP because he beat the crap out of the bought establishment. He's nothing but a lying globalist traitor!

I think Romney would have moved the country farther left than cankles, he would have done it in a sneaky manner so it wouldn't have caused
as much outrage. But make no mistake, his political agenda is far closer to that of Clinton & BO than it is America first.

Mitt Romney's niece Ronna Romney McDaniel is the current Chair of the Republican National Committee; you would think he would be a little more prudent, more circumspect with his commentary for the good of the party instead of looking for a pat on the head from the likes of Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi and the DNC.

Romney, Flake & Kasich three peas in the Globalist pod.
When he was governor of Mass? His health care bill was a precursor to Obamacare and before that he outsourced American jobs overseas.

3 things i need to know about mitt: 1. he's a carpetbagger. pick a state and stick with it. 2. he didn't have the spine to stand up to candy crowley during the debates & don't trust him to have a spine to defend and protect the american people. 3. no matter what he says now, he's a never-trumper and Trump has enough on his plate than to deal with another rino. This guy is a lightweight. & he hates PRESIDENT TRUMP because he beat the crap out of the bought establishment. He's nothing but a lying globalist traitor!

I think Romney would have moved the country farther left than cankles, he would have done it in a sneaky manner so it wouldn't have caused
as much outrage. But make no mistake, his political agenda is far closer to that of Clinton & BO than it is America first.

Mitt Romney's niece Ronna Romney McDaniel is the current Chair of the Republican National Committee; you would think he would be a little more prudent, more circumspect with his commentary for the good of the party instead of looking for a pat on the head from the likes of Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi and the DNC.

When he was governor of Mass? His health care bill was a precursor to Obamacare and before that he outsourced American jobs overseas.

Ouch..... gutsy:

Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel sided with President Donald Trump over her uncle Mitt Romney, slamming the Utah senator-elect for writing an op-ed in which he criticized the President.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/02/politics/ronna-mcdaniel-rnc-mitt-romney-donald-trump/index.html

Great post!

It is remarkable how tone-deaf Romney is. He thinks he speaks for the masses but he disgust about 90% (or more) of the Republican base. .

It is remarkable how tone-deaf Romney is. He thinks he speaks for the masses but he disgust about 90% (or more) of the Republican base. .

Exactly.

Trump has the long and well documented history of being a racist, Romney lacks that record.

Romney's sour grapes are still stinging, obviously.

What an idiot.

Trump lovers are of the sweet lemon camp...
They have a sour taste in their mouths because they voted him in, but still insist that it is sweet.

He certainly did misread the GOP, but then it is hard to do otherwise when you insulate yourself from reality.
Now, which reality is it, REAL LIFE or what reality TV shows say it is....

Keep it up Congress critters from both sides!

The more you oppose him...the humiliation is the best weapon...the more likely he is to dig in his heels and stick with his wall demands. And to make rash decisions.

Yes, who knows the outcomes...the man is definitely a danger. But enough to get him gone would be nice. Then we'll deal with Pence.

Exactly. I agree on that. I don't think their view of Trump will change. It's the man himself, more than policy or stances on issues that the folks dislike. This is something Trump supporters and even some Republicans don't understand. 2018 wasn't so much a rejection of Trump's policies, at least for independents. On a list of 16 different issues, independents are for some, against some, pretty much split. take a good look at the results of this question.
Question 64. Trump Likability
Regardless of whether you agree with him, do you like or dislike Donald Trump as a person?

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/32i3vgsdj6/econTabReport.pdf

You can see all the demographic breakdowns, from gender to race to political affiliation, age, etc. Quite interesting and the biggest problem for Trump and the GOP, most folks just don't like him. Even if you agree with his policies, A lot of those folks still don't like him. History has shown that usually people don't vote for someone they dislike.

that is unless that someone really dislikes the other candidate more as what happened in 2016. Independents put Trump into the White House and here is the reason why: Questions 10 and 11. Independents simply disliked Clinton, 70% unfavorable to Trump's 57% unfavorable.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/l37rosbwjp/econTabReport_lv.pdf
Another excellent reference, although not at all surprising. Even prominent evangelicals have publicly said essentially that they held their noses when they voted for Trump because he promised them the things they wanted and knew Clinton would never give them. Add to that, Clinton’s terrible personal polling numbers and that is how Trump won. Dems hate to acknowledge the truth, that HRC was the only prominent Dem that Trump could’ve beat. So far his base (including those critical evangelicals) are sticking with him, but I can’t help wonder how they’d look at Romney or another traditional Republican as a contender for the party’s nomination in two years. In any event I agree with you that, given history and how things look right now for Trump, there is no logical reason to believe he would likely win a second term.

Last edited:
challenges to a sitting president hasn't been successful for the challenger or the party in which the sitting president is challenged. 1952 Kefauver challenged sitting president Truman in the New Hampshire primary. Kefauver won, Truman withdrew. But Stevenson won the Democratic nomination instead of Kefauver and promptly lost to Eisenhower. 1968 McCarthy challenged LBJ, LBJ barely won the New Hampshire primary over McCarthy causing LBJ to withdraw. The Democratic nomination went to Humphrey, not McCarthy whom lost to Richard Nixon. 1980, Ted Kennedy challenged Jimmy Carter. Carter prevailed, but Jimmy was swamped by Reagan, Carter lost big time. 1992, G.H.W Bush was challenged by Pat Buchanan, Bush dispatched Buchanan, but lost the presidential to Bill Clinton.

The four who initially challenged a sitting president didn't win the nomination and the party where a sitting president was challenged, lost in November. If Romney were to challenged Trump, if Trump decides to run again which I don't think he will. If Romney challenges Trump, Romney loses, then Trump loses in November. Exactly what you want.

Great post. It seems that if a sitting president is challenged, there is much unhappiness within his own party. If your own party is not fully behind you that predicts a difficult general election.

Trump will be challenged. He will probably survive and lose the general. That's assuming he survives to 2020 and chooses to run again. I doubt he survives and I doubt he would run again.

Another excellent reference, although not at all surprising. Even prominent evangelicals have publicly said essentially that they held their noses when they voted for Trump because he promised them the things they wanted and knew Clinton would never give them. Add to that, Clinton’s terrible personal polling numbers and that is how Trump won. Dems hate to acknowledge the truth, that HRC was the only prominent Dem that Trump could’ve beat. So far his base (including those critical evangelicals) are sticking with him, but I can’t help wonder how they’d look at Romney or another traditional Republican as a contender for the party’s nomination in two years. In any event I agree with you that, given history and how things look right now for Trump, there is no logical reason to believe he would likely win a second term.

Trump is unique in that his approval rating has never been higher than 44% or lower than 38%. That tells me he has his solid base which will never leave him and hasn't added at all to that base. It also tells me his approval is based on his character, personality, persona more than what he does or doesn't do as president or on his policies.

If policy based, issue based, one expects in good times, good news times for a president's approval to shoot way up, then go way down come bad times, bad news etc. Obama approval ranged during his first two years from 66% down to 43% depending on what was happening, the events, issues, legislation etc. A 23 point swing, issue based approval on Obama. G.W. Bush had a swing of 51% up to 90% in his first two years. The 90% was 9-11 based, but it shows how an event or issue, good news or bad news effect a presidential approval rating. Bush's first two years of approval was all issue based, not personality based as Trump is. Bill Clinton's range was 37% low 57% high during his first two years, once again issue and event based.

Trump in my opinion will never be able to get his approval based on events, issues, happenings, it's all personality, character. People dislike his unpresidential behavior, hence they think he's a bad president. Trump with his obnoxious and distasteful personality, character could bring peace to the world, his approval still wouldn't rise above 45%. His raunchy behavior has had that much effect on how he is viewed. My two cents anyway.

Great post. It seems that if a sitting president is challenged, there is much unhappiness within his own party. If your own party is not fully behind you that predicts a difficult general election.

Trump will be challenged. He will probably survive and lose the general. That's assuming he survives to 2020 and chooses to run again. I doubt he survives and I doubt he would run again.

Exactly. Democrats were upset over Korea, Truman was challenged and he withdrew. Democrats were upset over Vietnam, LBJ challenged, he withdrew. Both withdrawals left the democratic party split. The Misery index and Iran hostages, Carter challenged, he beat the challenge only to be crushed in November. No new taxes pledge broke, G.H.W. Bush challenged, he lost in November.

Prognoses, very bleak for Trump in 2020 if anyone challenges him. Prognoses is still very bleak in my book even if no one challenges him.

Back
Top Bottom