• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mitt Romney announcing VP selection tomorrow (Saturday), 9 ET[W:134, 926]

Re: Mitt Romney announcing VP selection tomorrow (Saturday), 9 ET

I sure hope it's not Ryan. I think 99% of people will agree that if I had the choice of Ryan or Romney as the nominee, I would choose Ryan. I would choose someone safe and boring for the VP pick. It would be kind of like McCain/Palin. Really boring yawn when he speaks McCain and fun exciting peppy Palin. The VP seems to do the attack dog dirty work in elections. They are not suppose to be in the spotlight overshadowing the nominee.

Last edited:

I wouldn't think it would be Ryan. My sense from this process was that they would go for someone more low-key and safer than him like Portman or Pawlenty. He's announcing in Norfolk so it could be McDonnell as well. I could be totally wrong though, campaigns usually try as hard as they can to misdirect from the actual pick.

please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please let it be Ryan.

This will effectively hand the election to the Dems and should result in big victories on down ticket races all across the nation.

I am going to stop in to a church this weekend and light another candle hoping to put the angels on the side of the Ryan pick.

I hope its something way out of left field. That would be so awesome and entertaining.

Moderator's Warning:
Sticky for VP selection discussion through tomorrow.

please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please let it be Ryan.

This will effectively hand the election to the Dems and should result in big victories on down ticket races all across the nation.

I am going to stop in to a church this weekend and light another candle hoping to put the angels on the side of the Ryan pick.
I could not agree with you more. Romney would be seen as running to his right and not to the center. However, I think it will be TPaw.

I could not agree with you more. Romney would be seen as running to his right and not to the center. However, I think it will be TPaw.

The best choice to help him win would be Rubio. Portman from Ohio is second. As long as its not them I am fine with it.

Picking Ryan would amount to a decision to double down on the whole trickle down angle... On one hand, he has already taken that hit, so maybe it wouldn't hurt him, but on the other hand it would make it impossible to deny that that is what he is about. The campaign from here on out would be exclusively about taxes and Romney Hood. I think more likely, he wants to try to change the topic to something else. Given his massive chain of unbelievable foreign policy meltdowns I wouldn't be surprised if he picks somebody with a foreign policy focus to offset that. Not sure who that would be though. Rice would make some sense on that front, but I very much doubt he is picking her.

Last edited:

9 AM on a Saturday sure is a weird time... it's almost like they want no press coverage on whomever it is until Monday (well, I guess the Sunday papers and Sunday morning TV talk shows will cover it).

If it's Ryan, that will be a bone for the Tea Party... and an even more foreboding sign that Romney is steering hard right in his quest for the White House. I would think it would cost him the election (moderates/independents will bail), but God help us if some type of Tea Party revolution takes over Congress and the White House, with trust fund baby cum vulture capitalist Romney at the helm... they'll bleed the country and the middle class dry, then discard the husk as they all move to their resort homes in some overseas tax haven.

Last edited:

Numerous sources are reporting this.
The Weekly Standard seems to think almost for sure that it's Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI)

Romney Prepares to Pick Ryan | The Weekly Standard

If Romney goes with Pawlenty or Portman, it suggests his advisors believe the campaign is tracking well. If he goes with Ryan or Rubio then it seems the campaign thinks they need a "game-changer" or hail-mary (2008 all over again).

I guess we will get to know soon if the campaign thinks they are dealing from a position of strength or a position of desperation.

Last edited:

CNN and other major news sources are confirming this story. Looks like tomorrow it is.

9 AM on a Saturday sure is a weird time... it's almost like they want no press coverage on whomever it is until Monday (well, I guess the Sunday papers and TV talk shows will cover it).

Yeah that is bizarre. You release bad news after 5 on Fridays... Saturday at 9 AM is like taking that even one step further... Usually a VP pick is something you want massive coverage for. I don't really know what that means. If he thinks they are not going to be well received, he would pick somebody different instead of just trying to suppress the news... So I dunno... Maybe it just means he is picking somebody boring and doesn't want it to be a big deal.

If Romney goes with Pawlenty or Portman, it suggests his advisors believe the campaign is tracking well. If he goes with Ryan or Rubio then it seems the campaign thinks they need a "game-changer" or hail-mary (2008 all over again). I guess we will get to know soon if the campaign thinks they are dealing from a position of strength or a position of desperation.

Rubio would be a game changer for sure. Not necessarily for the better, but maybe, and a game changer for sure.

Ryan, I think that is just doubling down on his current approach. I don't really see that changing much. More like accentuating his current image.

Yeah that is bizarre. You release bad news after 5 on Fridays... Saturday at 9 AM is like taking that even one step further... Usually a VP pick is something you want massive coverage for. I don't really know what that means. If he thinks they are not going to be well received, he would pick somebody different instead of just trying to suppress the news... So I dunno... Maybe it just means he is picking somebody boring and doesn't want it to be a big deal.
It just dawned on me... the Romney campaign hopes everyone will think it's a cartoon.... Romney/Coyote 2012 :lamo

Almost irrelevant.

Neither candidate is very old and/or has any past medical issues (unlike McCain back in '08). And VP's do nothing but sit around, say what they are told and wait for their chance to run for Prez.

The VP choice does not help a candidate win - it can only help one lose (re: Sarah Palin).

Just pick someone that is solid, experienced, a team player and knows when to shut up.

It's virtually a nothing job.

Last edited:

For what it's worth, President Obama announced Joe Biden as his VP pick on August 23, 2008 - a Saturday.

Hmm the article in the OP does make a pretty good case that it is going to be Ryan. Man, that strikes me as a mistake. He wants to talk more about taxes and class warfare? Seems like he would want to get away from that part of the conversation.

I think people are making way too much about the timing. Let's guess it is Ryan. He has a scheduled campaign stop on the USS Wisconsin(the state Ryan is a house member from) at the time of the announcement, so they could just be trying to tie that all together. The idea he is ducking the news cycle seems silly to me.

Dang! I should have bought stock in the campaign bumper sticker maker company today!

Dang! I should have bought stock in the campaign bumper sticker maker company today!

With as much money as is going to be spent on this election, owning stock in any media outlet in a battleground state would be a good thing.

I think people are making way too much about the timing. Let's guess it is Ryan. He has a scheduled campaign stop on the USS Wisconsin(the state Ryan is a house member from) at the time of the announcement, so they could just be trying to tie that all together. The idea he is ducking the news cycle seems silly to me.

Yeah, maybe. It just seems odd. Apparently Obama did it on a Saturday too, so we shouldn't make much of it, but it still seems odd to me. Seems like the kind of thing you'd want to do on live tv in primetime.

For what it's worth, President Obama announced Joe Biden as his VP pick on August 23, 2008 - a Saturday.
Well, everyone can understand why no news was desired for that selection ;)

Hmm the article in the OP does make a pretty good case that it is going to be Ryan. Man, that strikes me as a mistake. He wants to talk more about taxes and class warfare? Seems like he would want to get away from that part of the conversation.
All the pundits would start talking about Ryan -- instead of Romney. All the tax return talk and all the Bain talk and all the offshore bank account talk would evaporate. Music to Mitt's ears, I'd imagine . . . . .

Yeah, maybe. It just seems odd. Apparently Obama did it on a Saturday too, so we shouldn't make much of it, but it still seems odd to me. Seems like the kind of thing you'd want to do on live tv in primetime.

It is the era of the 24/7/365 news cycle. The major news channels will all cover it extensively(except MSNBC, which will be showing Lockup), it will be the topic of discussion on the Sunday morning talk shows, and then it will get huge coverage on Monday, which just happens to be immediately after the olympics(ie, people not distracted by the olympics any more).

Back
Top Bottom