• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mitch McConnell calls Donald Trump's bluff in Alaska

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

(CNN) Mitch McConnell isn't backing down in his standoff with Donald Trump.

On Monday, the Senate Leadership Fund, the super PAC aligned with McConnell, announced that it had booked more than $7 miIlion worth of ad time in Alaska as GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski tries to fend off a challenge from Kelly Tshibaka, who has been endorsed by the former President. (The group also reserved ad time in six Senate battleground states.

The move to defend Murkowski isn't terribly surprising -- McConnell has made clear all along that he supports Republican incumbents, including Murkowski.

But the super PAC's decision to commit $7 million -- by way of context, that's roughly how much Murkowski spent on her 2016 reelection race -- to Alaska means that McConnell is sending a not-so-subtle message to Trump: Time to put up or shut up.

--

Alright, no one's jumping to the conclusion that McConnel would not support Trump if he were to become the nominee.

But, it is interesting seeing McConnel directly oppose Trump's desires when the situation warrants it.

My gut feeling is McConnel sees Murkowski as more likely to prevail, and he's looking after what he believes is his Party's and his Senate's best interests.

A $7 million campaign in Alaska seems excessive

10 bucks per Alaskan, every man, woman and child, does sound like a lot. Less than 200,000 voted last time so that's what, 35 bucks per voter?

I wonder how many voters would vote a certain way for $35 in cash
Hey, $50 or $60 a head in the right places could probably do it.

I wonder how many voters would vote a certain way for $35 in cash

Who would know?

If you work GOTV, you do what you need to keep your voters happy and get them to the polling place. But once they're in that booth, you never know what they may do!

Last edited:

--

Alright, no one's jumping to the conclusion that McConnel would not support Trump if he were to become the nominee.

But, it is interesting seeing McConnel directly oppose Trump's desires when the situation warrants it.

My gut feeling is McConnel sees Murkowski as more likely to prevail, and he's looking after what he believes is his Party's and his Senate's best interests.

I wouldn't trust McConnell as far as I can spit him. Sorry.

He pretends to be his own man standing up to Trump, then folds like Ted "Insult my wife again Mr. President and I'll lick your other testicle" Cruz.

I wouldn't trust McConnell

I don't trust him!

Which is why I tried to be disciplined and centrist in my OP presentation.

as far as I can spit him. Sorry.

He pretends to be his own man standing up to Trump, then folds like Ted "Insult my wife again Mr. President and I'll lick your other testicle" Cruz.

Yow!

I haven't heard that expression in a long time. That, and, "as far as I could throw him". With Trump, that ain't very far at all!

I don't trust him!

Which is why I tried to be disciplined and centrist in my OP presentation.

Yow!

I haven't heard that expression in a long time. That, and, "as far as I could throw him". With Trump, that ain't very far at all!

I couldn't lift Trump with a crane.

1650765709300.png

Sen. Mitch McConnell has no excuse. The ads his political group is producing to attack Alaska Republican Senate candidate Kelly Tshibaka are beyond the pale. Campaign attacks intensify in October because as the election runway gets shorter, it takes a sharp message to catch voters’ attention and seal the deal. But the money being spent by McConnell and his Senate Leadership Fund to attack a fellow Republican — one who may win and join the Senate to be his colleague — should shock the sensibilities of all conservatives.

Sen. Mitch McConnell has no excuse. The ads his political group is producing to attack Alaska Republican Senate candidate Kelly Tshibaka are beyond the pale. Campaign attacks intensify in October because as the election runway gets shorter, it takes a sharp message to catch voters’ attention and seal the deal. But the money being spent by McConnell and his Senate Leadership Fund to attack a fellow Republican — one who may win and join the Senate to be his colleague — should shock the sensibilities of all conservatives.

Those sensibilities have long been dulled by the attacks on other Republicans for disagreeing with Trump.

Sen. Mitch McConnell has no excuse. The ads his political group is producing to attack Alaska Republican Senate candidate Kelly Tshibaka are beyond the pale.

What is inaccurate in the ads?

Even McConnell realizes what a wreck Trump is. Trump endorsed candidates are hurting the senate. For a republican, McConnell is doing the right thing.

I agree with the above. McConnell is interested in only regaining control of the senate. He’s wants and backs the candidate who has the best chance of winning in November. Trump was/is only interested in revenge. As long as he gets his revenge on some fellow Republicans, he doesn’t care if his revenge, endorsed, chosen candidates have a decent shot of winning in November or not. Oz, Walker, Masters are three that come to mind immediately. All are weak, poor quality candidates for the general election. Trump has put his thirst for revenge over putting up good quality candidates that stand a good chance of winning this midterm.

As I said before, Trump is the biggest asset the democrats have going for them this midterm.

My gut feeling is McConnell sees Murkowski as more likely to prevail, and he's looking after what he believes is his Party's and his Senate's best interests.
This ^, and the fact the McConnell hasn’t ever respected/liked Trump. He only worked with Trump because had to.

I agree with the above. McConnell is interested in only regaining control of the senate. He’s wants and backs the candidate who has the best chance of winning in November. Trump was/is only interested in revenge. As long as he gets his revenge on some fellow Republicans, he doesn’t care if his revenge, endorsed, chosen candidates have a decent shot of winning in November or not. Oz, Walker, Masters are three that come to mind immediately. All are weak, poor quality candidates for the general election. Trump has put his thirst for revenge over putting up good quality candidates that stand a good chance of winning this midterm.

As I said before, Trump is the biggest asset the democrats have going for them this midterm.

This ^, and the fact the McConnell hasn’t ever respected/liked Trump. He only worked with Trump because had to.

You guys are replying to my post from April?

McConnell made his bed when he saved Trump from impeachment TWICE and now he has to sleep in it.

If the women in America resolve to get out and vote in this midterm the GOP is finished.

LOL, I never look at the date when I reply to a post that interests me. Yours did. Your post could have been written and posted today as it still is valid to what Trump has done to thwart the chances of the GOP to regain control of the senate with his lousy choices of candidates. All for revenge.

LOL, I never look at the date when I reply to a post that interests me. Yours did. Your post could have been written and posted today as it still is valid to what Trump has done to thwart the chances of the GOP to regain control of the senate with his lousy choices of candidates. All for revenge.

Like me, I'd like to think much of my prose is timeless! :p

^ What he said. 😁

Back
Top Bottom