• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Missouri governor ORDERED to be a public defender.

RogueWarrior

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In great example of badassery, the chief public defender ordered the governor of Missouri to defend a poor person.

[h=1]Overburdened Public Defender's Office Orders Missouri Governor to Defend Poor Client[/h]

My emphasis.
BIG SHINY BRASS ONES.

I wonder why the governor feels poor people don't need and/or deserve proper representation in court.
There are no private prisons in MO (I think), so he can't be trying to fill them up.

Hahaha! I love it. Doubt the governor will follow through, though. Will be great if he does.

yep, that's within Missouri state law as i understand it. sucks that the defendant is going to be represented by an attorney who is probably pretty rusty by now, though. well, not that it will actually happen, but still.

I'm doubtful about this. In most states, and I'd be surprised if Missouri is different, it's the trial court that has to 'delegate' a case to private counsel.

Edit: "Under Section 600.064 of Missouri law, only the circuit court can appoint a private attorney to represent an indigent criminal defendant. Section 600.042.5, the statute referenced by the public defender, authorizes the public defender to "delegate" representation by contracting with private counsel, which requires the consent of the private attorney."

Overworked, Underfunded Missouri Public Defender Office Assigns Case — To The Governor : The Two-Way : NPR

Then we have competing positions here.
I don't know anything about MO law. BUt we have the Public defender saying he can and the governor saying you can't.
I guess this will go to court and a judge will decide.

Full text against.

Last edited:
Full text for (part1):

Last edited:
Full text for (part2):

Last edited:
To me, it looks like Mr Barrett is correct.
I don't see where consent of the delegated attorney is required.

I just hope the "poor person" isn't sitting in jail while the public defender and the governor sort out their differences.

I just hope the "poor person" isn't sitting in jail while the public defender and the governor sort out their differences.

This is America. Home of the Affluenza Defense, of course he sits in jail. BUt that would be any different from a public defender handling up to 200 cases.

The governor of Missouri signed a bill that put body cams off limit to the public. Missouri is a police state, meaning there is vastly more protection of police, and really there is exploitation of the poor.

This is America. Home of the Affluenza Defense, of course he sits in jail. BUt that would be any different from a public defender handling up to 200 cases.

If the public defender doesn't have the funding to provide an attorney...then why couldn't it just be called a mistrial?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…