• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Missouri gov. signs gun-safety course for first-graders

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
We teach kids not to run with scissors.We tell kids to look both ways before crossing the street.We tell kids to not do drugs.We tell kids don't talk to strangers. We even sex ed classes to teach kids about pregnancy and STDs. So one would think that in a country where at least 70-80 million firearm owners own around 310 million firearms that this would be a no brainier, that firearm safety would be something every school in the country would be doing.This program is optional but at least it is a step in the right direction.

Missouri gov. signs gun-safety course for first-graders | Fox News

Missouri schools will be encouraged to teach first-graders a gun safety course sponsored by the National Rifle Association as a result of legislation signed Friday by Gov. Jay Nixon. The new law stops short of requiring schools to teach the Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program. But by putting it in state law, Missouri is providing one of the stronger state-sanctioned endorsements of the NRA-sponsored firearms safety course, which the group says is taught to about 1 million children annually.

It should never be compulsory.

It should never be compulsory.

Why? With 310 million firearms in this country and that number growing and at least 70-80 million firearm owners in the country there is a good chance that kids will encounter a firearm. There were close to 16,000 non-fatal firearm accidents and around 600 fatal firearm accidents, I am pretty sure a good portion of those are children.

Gun Control - Just Facts

Why? With 310 million firearms in this country and that number growing and at least 70-80 million firearm owners in the country there is a good chance that kids will encounter a firearm. There were close to 16,000 non-fatal firearm accidents and around 600 fatal firearm accidents, I am pretty sure a good portion of those are children.

Gun Control - Just Facts

If the parents own a gun and want their children to take a safety course that's fine but others will never own one.

We teach kids not to run with scissors.We tell kids to look both ways before crossing the street.We tell kids to not do drugs.We tell kids don't talk to strangers. We even sex ed classes to teach kids about pregnancy and STDs. So one would think that in a country where at least 70-80 million firearm owners own around 310 million firearms that this would be a no brainier, that firearm safety would be something every school in the country would be doing.This program is optional but at least it is a step in the right direction.

Missouri gov. signs gun-safety course for first-graders | Fox News

Missouri schools will be encouraged to teach first-graders a gun safety course sponsored by the National Rifle Association as a result of legislation signed Friday by Gov. Jay Nixon. The new law stops short of requiring schools to teach the Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program. But by putting it in state law, Missouri is providing one of the stronger state-sanctioned endorsements of the NRA-sponsored firearms safety course, which the group says is taught to about 1 million children annually.

Six is a little young for most kids to even understand and remember safety precautions. You get up to around 8, I feel it would be more worthwhile, and more likely to be remembered.

And voluntary only.

If the parents own a gun and want their children to take a safety course that's fine but others will never own one.

But there is a chance the children of non-gun owners will encounter a firearm.

if they can teach safe sex in school, by gosh they can teach gun safety.

All the more reason for concern - kid's play in public and at friend's homes too. You may not own a rattlesnake either but that does not mean your kid will not encounter one.

kid's play in public and at friend's homes too.

Why the hell are they not locked and properly stored like they should be then? If at your their friend's house have guns out int he open for some reason they should probably tell them about basic safety first it doesn't take every long.

if they can teach safe sex in school, by gosh they can teach gun safety.

THe problem is safe sex applies to everyone and needs to be taught while gun safety is a purely situational thing.

THe problem is safe sex applies to everyone and needs to be taught while gun safety is a purely situational thing.

Anyone in America is likely to be exposed to guns at some point in their life.

But I'd be fine with allowing parents to actively choose to opt out of the class for their child, as they do with sex-ed classes. If the parent is too damn stupid to want their child to know how to be safe around guns, so be it.

Why the hell are they not locked and properly stored like they should be then? If at your their friend's house have guns out int he open for some reason they should probably tell them about basic safety first it doesn't take every long.

Not all criminals, on their way from a drive by shooting, care where they toss a "hot" gun. Not all self defense guns are secured in a safe. Not all kids play exactly where they are supposed to. The bolded is exactly the point, this gun "course" is not taking up much time and may well save many lives.

Why are they allowed to opt-out of sex-ed?

The parents may object to the school system teaching their child about sex and prefer to do it themselves.

I am suggesting both safety topics be treated in the same manner.

Not all criminals, on their way from a drive by shooting, care where they toss a "hot" gun. Not all self defense guns are secured in a safe. Not all kids play exactly where they are supposed to. The bolded is exactly the point, this gun "course" is not taking up much time and may well save many lives.

Why are they touching a gun they find on the street, why are their guns not being stored, if you want to make a course out of it make it purely optional.

Why are they allowed to opt-out of sex-ed?

Religious views of the parents, something the parents view as their job not the state's to teach kids about.

The parents may object to the school system teaching their child about sex and prefer to do it themselves.

I am suggesting both safety topics be treated in the same manner.

They should not have that choice proper sex ed. concerns everyone and affects everyone where gun safety courses do not.

But there is a chance the children of non-gun owners will encounter a firearm.

And who's fault will that be? I think a compulsory education system for gun owners is in order. With teeth to back it up.

They should not have that choice proper sex ed. concerns everyone and affects everyone where gun safety courses do not.

This merely reflects your bias on the two topics.

Why are they touching a gun they find on the street, why are their guns not being stored, if you want to make a course out of it make it purely optional.

Because you feel that firearm safety in schools should be optional,so little Timmy or little Suzie do not know that they shouldn't mess with firearms they find on the street.

Religious views of the parents, something the parents view as their job not the state's to teach kids about.

I don't care about your god-damn your religious views, letting parents opt-out of sex ed. doesn't work we need to teach kids sex ed. because it affects everyone.

And who's fault will that be? I think a compulsory education system for gun owners is in order. With teeth to back it up.

No thank you. While I strongly encourage all gun owners to get professional training, I do not wish to give the government another tool with which to abuse our rights.

Because you feel that firearm safety in schools should be optional,so little Timmy or little Suzie do not know that they shouldn't mess with firearms they find on the street.

That is common sense not gun safety.

I don't care about your god-damn your religious views, letting parents opt-out of sex ed. doesn't work we need to teach kids sex ed. because it affects everyone.

I don't care about your gosh-darn views on guns, letting parents opt out of gun safety is dangerous because it could affect anyone.

No thank you. While I strongly encourage all gun owners to get professional training, I do not wish to give the government another tool with which to abuse our rights.

Do you want unsafe idiots to be able to own guns?

Back
Top Bottom