• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mississippi governor signs religious freedom bill into law.

Well, one thing we do know will happen is there will be some degree of economic backlash. Granted it is Mississippi we are talking about here but there are plenty of national organizations and businesses that will respond.

What exactly does it do?

Generally speaking it will, among other things, allow religious whack jobs the right to refuse to do business with gays. Southern style hospitality.

Well, one thing we do know will happen is there will be some degree of economic backlash. Granted it is Mississippi we are talking about here but there are plenty of national organizations and businesses that will respond.

I hope it's quick and powerful.

Generally speaking it will, among other things, allow religious whack jobs the right to refuse to do business with gays. Southern style hospitality.

I so look forward to the day when people don't care about the bedroom preferences of other adults.

Businesses trying to essentially blackmail the state to not uphold their own rights makes really no sense.

Businesses trying to essentially blackmail the state to not uphold their own rights makes really no sense.

Try that again please. I'm dizzy with all the negatives.

You mean practice their rights? Why should businesses rights be ignored by the state? Then again, maybe you think potentional customers have a right to the property, association and labor of businesses, so in that case, explain how that is possible.

If you want to buy into this "uphold their own rights" bit be my guest, but ultimately what we are really talking about here is State sponsored social and economic discrimination. Mississippi is now saying private businesses and faith-based organizations can refuse to serve someone they think is gay or lesbian on religious grounds, and the State just allowed county clerks a shield from State action (they cannot prevent Federal action) if they decide to deny a marriage license to someone gay or lesbian.

This is going to end up challenged, as it should. Mississippi is encouraging discrimination, hiding behind religion to do so.

What is really sad is that we *still, in 2016,* need to protect various groups from the actions of others in the name of religion. That is what makes no sense, but our hands are forced by today's brand of bigotry that will end up in the history books next to those in the 1950's and 1960's arguing for segregation for the same religious reasons.

What exactly does it do?

I found a summary of a few of the aspects of this bill.

Assessing what kind of discriminatory situations this would enable is easy, because the bill spells those out as well. So long as individuals are motivated by “a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction,” any of the following behaviors would have the endorsement of the government:
Religious organizations can decline to solemnize any marriage or provide any services related to recognizing that marriage.
Religious organizations can refuse to hire, fire, and discipline employees for violating the organization’s religious beliefs.
Religious organizations can choose not to sell, rent, or otherwise provide shelter.
Religious organizations that provide foster or adoptive services can decline service without risking their state subsidies.
Any foster or adoptive parent can impose their religious beliefs on their children.
Any person can choose not to provide treatment, counseling, or surgery related to gender transition or same-sex parenting.
Any person (including any business) can choose not to provide services for any marriage ceremony or occasion that involves recognizing a marriage, including:
Photography
Poetry
Videography
Disc-Jockey Services
Wedding Planning
Printing
Publishing
Floral Arrangements
Dress Making
Cake or Pastry Artistry
Assembly-Hall or Other Wedding-Venue Rentals
Limousine or Other Car-Service Rentals
Jewelry Sales And Services
Any person can establish “sex-specific standards or policies concerning employee or student dress or grooming,” and can manage the access of restrooms and other sex-segregated facilities.
Any state employee can openly express their beliefs without consequence.
Any state employee can choose not to authorize or license legal marriages by recusing themselves from those duties.

Anybody who takes advantage of any of these opportunities to discriminate would be protected from any tax penalty, any loss of contract or grant, any loss of benefit, any fine or penalty, any license or certification, any custody award or agreement, or any setback in employment.

Furthermore, these protections extend even if the disagreement does not involve the government as a party. In other words, anybody can cite their religious beliefs to justify their discriminatory behavior if sued by the victims of that discrimination. When they do, they are entitled not only to victory in court, but compensatory damages as well.

You mean practice their rights? Why should businesses rights be ignored by the state? Then again, maybe you think potentional customers have a right to the property, association and labor of businesses, so in that case, explain how that is possible.

We shall see how devout they are when the feds kick them squarely in the nuts. And then the corporations stop doing business with them. The rats will jump ship. Bet on it.

If you want to buy into this "uphold their own rights" bit be my guest, but ultimately what we are really talking about here is State sponsored social and economic discrimination. Mississippi is now saying private businesses and faith-based organizations can refuse to serve someone they think is gay or lesbian on religious grounds, and the State just allowed county clerks a shield from State action (they cannot prevent Federal action) if they decide to deny a marriage license to someone gay or lesbian.

This is going to end up challenged, as it should. Mississippi is encouraging discrimination, hiding behind religion to do so.

What is really sad is that we *still, in 2016,* need to protect various groups from the actions of others in the name of religion. That is what makes no sense, but our hands are forced by today's brand of bigotry that will end up in the history books next to those in the 1950's and 1960's arguing for segregation for the same religious reasons.

I'm not arguing in favor of state officials not doing their jobs or even the state being able to discriminate, but in favor of private entities deciding on their own who they wish to associate with, who they wish to trade their property with, and who they wish to provide their labor. I don't agree with the law itself, but I do agree that people have the right to discriminate in their business arrangements because of their faith.

We shall see how devout they are when the feds kick them squarely in the nuts. And then the corporations stop doing business with them. The rats will jump ship. Bet on it.

Corporations are greedy bastards, so their threats are more or less empty nonsense. If you think a business is just going to walk away from a state then you're high as ****.

I'm not arguing in favor of state officials not doing their jobs or even the state being able to discriminate, but in favor of private entities deciding on their own who they wish to associate with, who they wish to trade their property with, and who they wish to provide their labor. I don't agree with the law itself, but I do agree that people have the right to discriminate in their business arrangements because of their faith.

You hate gays. At least have the sack to own it.

Corporations are greedy bastards, so their threats are more or less empty nonsense. If you think a business is just going to walk away from a state then you're high as ****.

Oh really? Sit back and watch. The caca is about to hit the aerator.j

Back
Top Bottom