• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mississippi brings prayer back to schools

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Mississippi Breaks Ground And Allows Prayer Back In Their Public Schools

As a young child I remember very vividly reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and also morning prayer. When you talk about the “good old days” those are visions that come to my mind. Of course those are things that have been taken away, but Mississippi has decided otherwise.

First and foremost though, why was the Pledge of Allegiance axed? Because of the words “under God.” It’s based on our country and the fact that we are Americans who proudly belong to the United States of America.

Read More: Mississippi Breaks Ground And Allows Prayer Back In Their Public Schools [POLL] | Mississippi Breaks Ground And Allows Prayer Back In Their Public Schools [POLL]

I also remember reciting the pledge in school back in the 1950s. I don't remember prayers, however. I remember leading children in the pledge until my retirement in '04. I suspect teachers still are, and the "pledge has been axed" statement is false.

It also requires:
public schools to develop policies that will allow students to pray over school intercoms, at assemblies and at sporting events. While not allowing school-sanctioned prayer, the law permits students to offer public prayers with a disclaimer by the school administration.

This despite Christ's saying that prayer should be in secret, and not public.

Of course, private prayers have always been and still are allowed. Even public prayers for those who voluntarily come to them are allowed.

And now, in Mississippi, schools may start having mandatory student led prayers.

I wonder what will happen the first time those student led prayer sessions over the intercom invoke the name of Allah?

It will be an interesting spectacle in that state.

You realize that Christ himself participated in public religious services, right?

I don't think you're interpreting that correctly.

What about Muslim prayer time?

You realize that Christ himself participated in public religious services, right?

I don't think you're interpreting that correctly.

Matthew 6: 5-7

"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. 7"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.…

That's pretty clear. If you pray publicly, you already have your reward.

And, having passed a prayer in schools law, the lawmakers in the Bible Belt of Mississippi have their reward, more political support.

Which is, of course, the reward that they wanted all along.

What about Muslim prayer time?

You beat me to that point. I am curious if Mississippi really became that tolerant of competition faiths, or are they about to become a modern day theocracy telling the populace what is and is not acceptable prayer in schools.

And, having passed a prayer in schools law, the lawmakers in the Bible Belt of Mississippi have their reward, more political support.

He was warning against the practice of praying for the sake of being well thought of by others. Praying in public to set an example, particularly for the young, is a good thing. Jesus himself did it.

School officials will crap their drawers, parents will be up in arms, and the school policy will suddenly change.

What is the policy regarding Muslim prayer time in schools? I am sure no one would want to prevent it. Any student could take pause during this time.
I wouldn't mind a call to silence, and all who want to pray silently may do so, while others respectfully keep quiet, thinking of puppies or lunch. Perhaps they can call it reflection time.
Compromise that could work for everyone.

He was warning against the practice of praying for the sake of being well thought of by others. Praying in public to set an example, particularly for the young, is a good thing. Jesus himself did it.

I wonder what he would have said about mandatory prayers?

What is the policy regarding Muslim prayer time in schools? I am sure no one would want to prevent it. Any student could take pause during this time.
I wouldn't mind a call to silence, and all who want to pray silently may do so, while others respectfully keep quiet, thinking of puppies or lunch. Perhaps they can call it reflection time.
Compromise that could work for everyone.

That could happen now, probably in any state of the union. What they're talking about in Mississippi is prayers being recited over the intercom in a public school during the time students are required to be in school. It's mandatory prayer vs. voluntary.

Good grief, if I had a nickel for every out of context Bible quote posted by libs. I'd have a few bucks anyways. :rolleyes:

Good grief, if I had a nickel for every out of context Bible quote posted by libs. I'd have a few bucks anyways. :rolleyes:

How silly.

First, labeling anything you disagree with as "lib", a word that doesn't exist and for which there is no definition.
Second, by saying that the three verses are "out of context".

Unless, of course, you can provide context showing that the Bible encourages public prayers to which everyone is compelled to listen.

waiting for the missing context..... waiting....

I also remember reciting the pledge in school back in the 1950s. I don't remember prayers, however. I remember leading children in the pledge until my retirement in '04. I suspect teachers still are, and the "pledge has been axed" statement is false.

It also requires:

Of course, private prayers have always been and still are allowed. Even public prayers for those who voluntarily come to them are allowed.

And now, in Mississippi, schools may start having mandatory student led prayers.

I wonder what will happen the first time those student led prayer sessions over the intercom invoke the name of Allah?

I think it would be crazy to ax the pledge. On the other hand, I don't think that public schools should further any particular religion or its opposite, though, I also think that private schools probably should entertain prayer, religious education, ethics and philosophy.

Alright, what is the context of that quote?

I think it would be crazy to ax the pledge. On the other hand, I don't think that public schools should further any particular religion or its opposite, though, I also think that private schools probably should entertain prayer, religious education, ethics and philosophy.

Agreed.

I don't think schools have actually "axed" the pledge, but that the religious right keep saying that they have in order to make people think that the schools are not teaching patriotism.

Prayer, like many things in the Bible, has layers of meaning. In that verse, it's more like meditation than petition. "Go into your inner room, close the door...", those words have meaning to people familiar with and practiced in meditation. See Theresa of Avila and drawing water from the well, and John of the Cross.

Kids go to school to learn, they go to religious studies to learn about their faith, or have parents who can teach them.
No one can ever prevent anyone from praying discretely. It can be done in silence.
However, quiet time can be offered if need be and observed by all to do as they please.
If I understand the first Amendment correctly, if affords us freedom of religion. That goes for all. Christians, Jews, Atheists, Muslims, Hindus...can have their time to do as they please.
The first Amendment, imo, does not forbid prayer of any sort, is not freedom from religion.

Kids go to school to learn, they go to religious studies to learn about their faith, or have parents who can teach them.
No one can ever prevent anyone from praying discretely. It can be done in silence.
However, quiet time can be offered if need be and observed by all to do as they please.
If I understand the first Amendment correctly, if affords us freedom of religion. That goes for all. Christians, Jews, Atheists, Muslims, Hindus...can have their time to do as they please.
The first Amendment, imo, does not forbid prayer of any sort, is not freedom from religion.

I agree that school is for education, but also to teach how to learn and communicate behavioral understanding of society's culture.

Probably the same thing He would say about mandatory wealth transfers to the poor.

i don't know about "mandatory wealth transfers to the poor" whatever thats supposed to mean, but the bible clearly says to pay your taxes like good a lil christian

They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. “Teacher,” they said, “we know that you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17 Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay the imperial tax[a] to Caesar or not?”

18 But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19 Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, 20 and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”

21 “Caesar’s,” they replied.

Then he said to them, “So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”

22 When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+22:15-22

It also requires:

Attention Christians in Mississippi and elsewhere: you are fighting the wrong battle. Do not fight to reintroduce prayer in state schools. Fight the concept of state schools themselves. All education should be private. That way those who wish Christianity to be part of the curriculum can send their kids to such schools. Those who don't can send their kids elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom