• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Missing 'cult-like' group may have plans for mass suicide

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- A "cult-like" group of 13 Salvadorans -- including eight children -- is missing in southern California after leaving behind notes indicating plans to commit mass suicide, authorities said.

The children in the group are ages 3 to 17, said Steve Whitmore, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

"The letters essentially state that they [missing persons] are all going to heaven shortly to meet Jesus and their deceased relatives," the California governor's office said. "Numerous letters found say goodbye to their relatives. It is believed, through further investigation, that the missing persons' intentions are to commit mass suicide."

Investigators issued an alert Saturday night asking for assistance in locating the group from Palmdale.

The alert was issued after two husbands of church members reported them missing, the governor's office said in a statement.

Though the notes did not mention suicide, the outcome seems like a strong possibility, Whitmore said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/19/california.missing.group/index.html?hpt=T2

Goddammit.

These people need to be found, thrown in jail, and the children retrieved and rehabilitated.

If it were up to me, I'd send the adults to their maker myself since they want it so much.

Assholes.

Last edited:
They are confused individuals and need help. Taking children down with you as a religious act should be universally taboo. That is where I draw the line in my sympathies although I must repeat.. .. ..these folks need help. On a more optimistic observation, I would hope most folks don't leave a suicide note to be found prior to finding the body/s. Hopefully they are not 100% committed or they would have been found like that group who released their souls to join the mother ship/comet.

To pontificate and without judgement.. .. ..this is the double edged sword of freedom of speech. Being a copy cat is as old as mankind. This will happen again and again. It is the ugly part of natural selection that we as humans find a hard time accepting.

Goddammit.

These people need to be found, thrown in jail, and the children retrieved and rehabilitated.

If it were up to me, I'd send the adults to their maker myself since they want it so much.

Assholes.

I agree, and extend such opinions to all who indoctrinate their children into death cults.

What on earth goes wrong in someone's psychology to really do something like that?

A source of fascination for me - how on earth do people infer this type of deranged thinking in our modern world?

I was going to say let the Darwin Award happen but then I read the part about the kids.

:(

Police: Missing 'cult-like' group may have plans for mass suicide - CNN.com

Goddammit.

Assholes.

Phew... When I read the lead I thought it was a mass of Obamanots were going to bite it after Nov. 2... I may despise your politics, but I would never wish any of my friends here ill will.

Cults will always happen unfortunately... I hope they are found alive and can realize the errors of their ways after a long, long stay in a corrections center.

I was going to say let the Darwin Award happen but then I read the part about the kids.

:(

Yep. That's pretty much all this story is about.

If moronic adults want to go out on their own and do stupid ****, Well that's there business, I mean provided their consenting adults, even if the consent has a warped world view attached to it. But if you're gonna drag kids into it. Well I will have no mercy on you.

I'm really hopeful they're all just hiding in a cave somewhere, waiting for the apocalypse they believe is imminent, and that they'll come out when they get hungry.

Missing 'cult-like' group found alive after suicide fears - CNN.com

Goddammit.

Assholes.

On the bright side, removal of defective minds from the Gene Pool has it's benefits.

Look, chances are these folks are all ready dead. And if they ARE caught in time, talk about some screwed up kids for life.

It's lose lose lose all around.

Happy they are okay and the Cult leader is under observation. Now if the UN would demand the Head Ayatollah in the Cult of Islam undergo Mental evaluation by anyone not a Muslim.

Missing 'cult-like' group found alive after suicide fears - CNN.com

Goddammit.

Assholes.

FRONTLINE/WORLD . MEXICO - A Death in the Desert . Essential Backgrounders from the New York Times - Border Desert Proves Deadly For Mexicans | PBS

So what's your position in illegal immigration?

Back
Top Bottom