• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Missiles fired toward US consulate in Iraq came from Iran: officials

Russia has been creating, funding and advising many of those separatist groups all along. They are and have been a Russian Proxy in Ukraine for more than a decade.
Sure, which is odd that the US would put a condition in the previous Ukraine arms deal that would prevent it from using them against the very forces which are the threat.

Something doesn't add up here. Why would Iran fire missiles at the U.S. consulate when they are attempting to ratify a nuclear treaty with the U.S.?

I think we need to find out who stands to gain by destroying the nuclear treaty. It sure doesn't seem like Iran would.

And piling on Biden right now is the last thing we need to do.
It's a faux "news" piece.

So it looks like, from what I can tell, it didn’t harm any US citizens or US property.

Why is this our problem?
It's a shot across the bow and a challenge to the actions Israel has been taking against Iran's proxy organizations. Given the US/Israel alliance, we'll have to see what the response is from the US.

It's a shot across the bow and a challenge to the actions Israel has been taking against Iran's proxy organizations. Given the US/Israel alliance, we'll have to see what the response is from the US.
It was against Israel and it does not appear that they have asked for our help.

They might and if they do then I can see where a response might be merited.

Hey Biden, going to bomb one of Iran's big war leaders like Trump did? How's that Iranian peace deal going?
The orange shit gibbon aka Trump tearing up the Nuclear Deal America & others nations had established with Iran and then the orange shit gibbon aka Trump needlessly killing the Iranian General who was in Iraq and then bragging about it has more to do with this move from Iran than anything legitimate President Joe Biden has done.

But of course folks in denial of reality will have no problem getting all giddy blaming the wrong folks.

It was against Israel and it does not appear that they have asked for our help.
That's what's claimed but it was the US consulate building that was targeted as well; the good thing is there was no loss of life. I am curious as to what the source is for the US consulate being an actual target though; that much isn't clear. The statement from Iran's Revolutionary Guard stated it targeted Israeli "strategic centers" which is pretty vague.

They might and if they do then I can see where a response might be merited.
Yeah. The Iran deal talks are on the back burner right now given Russia's recent demands regarding any future sanctions against Iran not impacting trade between Iran and Russia.

Sure, which is odd that the US would put a condition in the previous Ukraine arms deal that would prevent it from using them against the very forces which are the threat.
One doesn't need guns to fight propaganda. Along with the propaganda campaign in the breakaway regions there was also direct military Russian aggression on the northern and eastern borders of Ukraine. One fights bullets with bullets and one fights propaganda with truth.

One doesn't need guns to fight propaganda. Along with the propaganda campaign in the breakaway regions there was also direct military Russian aggression on the northern and eastern borders of Ukraine. One fights bullets with bullets and one fights propaganda with truth.
It was interesting that the US called Russia's attack pretty accurately, and exposed the ruse of the build up not being a prelude to an invasion. As for the one fights bullets with bullets", are you in favor of direct NATO/US intervention or just support of Ukraine forces and the likely insurgency should its major cities and government fall?

It was interesting that the US called Russia's attack pretty accurately, and exposed the ruse of the build up not being a prelude to an invasion. As for the one fights bullets with bullets", are you in favor of direct NATO/US intervention or just support of Ukraine forces and the likely insurgency should its major cities and government fall?
I'm in favor of third party material and personnel providing air base security and air corridor security to those bases for the purpose of supply and evacuation. The Ukrainians can and should do their own fighting with Russia but they should also be provided with ample defensive and humanitarian support.

I'm in favor of third party material and personnel providing air base security and air corridor security to those bases for the purpose of supply and evacuation.
What third party? This is where it gets sticky. From an evacuation perspective, Russia should be doing this but is not, which is quite deplorable. I assume you're referring to humanitarian supplies?

The Ukrainians can and should do their own fighting with Russia but they should also be provided with ample defensive and humanitarian support.
Yep, and thus far certain weapons are getting to them from a variety of sources. This situation is unique in that there's a lot of tip toeing around getting directly involved the way the US and its allies would likely do if it wasn't against a nuclear power and petrol state.

What third party? This is where it gets sticky. From an evacuation perspective, Russia should be doing this but is not, which is quite deplorable. I assume you're referring to humanitarian supplies?

Yep, and thus far certain weapons are getting to them from a variety of sources. This situation is unique in that there's a lot of tip toeing around getting directly involved the way the US and its allies would likely do if it wasn't against a nuclear power and petrol state.
Repairing the Ukrainian airfields is an imperative if they stand a chance of holding Russia off. Airfields that third parties control should be used for humanitarian purposes as well as military supply, including lethal aid. If third parties handle bases for defensive and supply operations then that frees up Ukrainian troops to handle airfields for military air operations of their own.

As far as "third party" goes, I have no problem with US involvement but firmly believe that it should be an alliance of nations including NATO and non-NATO. This aggression by Putin should NOT be considered to be limited to Ukraine but, rather, an act that indicates the probability of him going against other nations as well.

Every tyrannical regime in earth is on the move. They see a weak American president and have decided now is their window of opportunity.
Yeah right. Iran launched a missile strike against a US Consulate.
You guys will believe anything.

Something doesn't add up here. Why would Iran fire missiles at the U.S. consulate when they are attempting to ratify a nuclear treaty with the U.S.?

I think we need to find out who stands to gain by destroying the nuclear treaty. It sure doesn't seem like Iran would.

It's bullshit. Fired a missile toward a consulate? A consulate?
Don't these people ever say, "Hm. I wonder why Iran would attack a consulate?"

Repairing the Ukrainian airfields is an imperative if they stand a chance of holding Russia off. Airfields that third parties control should be used for humanitarian purposes as well as military supply, including lethal aid. If third parties handle bases for defensive and supply operations then that frees up Ukrainian troops to handle airfields for military air operations of their own.

As far as "third party" goes, I have no problem with US involvement but firmly believe that it should be an alliance of nations including NATO and non-NATO. This aggression by Putin should NOT be considered to be limited to Ukraine but, rather, an act that indicates the probability of him going against other nations as well.
What this is coming down to is either involvement or non-involvement from a military perspective. I don't see a scenario where any third party will not be perceived as direct involvement against Russia. It's also hard to tell if Putin is actually willing to risk war against the US/NATO. It's hard to see a good outcome for Russia no matter which way you cut it. If they manage to capture/kill Zelenskyy and dissolve the Ukrainian government, then there will be an ongoing insurgency funded by the US and its allies. Whatever leader comes into power is not going to be recognized, and with that goes the hopes of rebuilding the Ukrainian economy.

The idea of sanctions being severe enough remains to be seen, and I think from that perspective there should be really tough conditions on Russia rejoining the world economy. I'm leaning on the far more cautious side of direct intervention because I do think this has a high probability of turning into something much uglier. I also don't like the idea of a potential global conflict while China sits quietly on the sidelines while others expend their military and economic capital.

That's what's claimed but it was the US consulate building that was targeted as well; the good thing is there was no loss of life. I am curious as to what the source is for the US consulate being an actual target though; that much isn't clear. The statement from Iran's Revolutionary Guard stated it targeted Israeli "strategic centers" which is pretty vague.

Yeah. The Iran deal talks are on the back burner right now given Russia's recent demands regarding any future sanctions against Iran not impacting trade between Iran and Russia.
It hit near a consulate but that doesn’t necessarily mean it was targeted

“Strong sanctions “ lmao
To liberals in America that actually is the definition of being strong. God help us.
And what's the conservative definition of being strong?

Iran would stand to gain; they would gain time to complete their weapons program.

Iran would stand to gain; they would gain time to complete their weapons program.
LOL, if that were the plan they just wouldn't bother talking to us at all

What this is coming down to is either involvement or non-involvement from a military perspective. I don't see a scenario where any third party will not be perceived as direct involvement against Russia. It's also hard to tell if Putin is actually willing to risk war against the US/NATO. It's hard to see a good outcome for Russia no matter which way you cut it. If they manage to capture/kill Zelenskyy and dissolve the Ukrainian government, then there will be an ongoing insurgency funded by the US and its allies. Whatever leader comes into power is not going to be recognized, and with that goes the hopes of rebuilding the Ukrainian economy.

The idea of sanctions being severe enough remains to be seen, and I think from that perspective there should be really tough conditions on Russia rejoining the world economy. I'm leaning on the far more cautious side of direct intervention because I do think this has a high probability of turning into something much uglier. I also don't like the idea of a potential global conflict while China sits quietly on the sidelines while others expend their military and economic capital.
Based on what we saw with Georgia and Crimea the new, Russian government WOULD be recognized, though not formally. Giving a bully what they want and then choosing to ignore them isn't a solution and the LAST thing we all need is a proxy war in Ukraine.

Based on what we saw with Georgia and Crimea the new, Russian government WOULD be recognized, though not formally. Giving a bully what they want and then choosing to ignore them isn't a solution and the LAST thing we all need is a proxy war in Ukraine.
It looks like this situation might be different given the far higher profile and action that's been taken, but whether that lasts is another story, I don't see how we stop this particular bully without getting directly involved.

That's what I'm curious about because it wasn't clear in the articles I read.
From the NPR report I listened to, Iran claim that the cluster of houses was some sort of Israeli safe house

LOL, if that were the plan they just wouldn't bother talking to us at all
You do know that they aren't talking directly with the United States now, right?

If their goal wasn't to have a nuclear weapon, they wouldn't be pursuing nuclear weapons...

Back
Top Bottom