• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Missed Votes - Sanders 99%, Cruz 98%

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
They really should update how Senators and Congress can vote... we do have this thing called technology now.

Unfortunately, this is the reality of our current (highly flawed) electoral system. Running for president has become a full-time job.

Unfortunately, this is the reality of our current (highly flawed) electoral system. Running for president has become a full-time job.

Just one more reason not to vote for these people.

Just one more reason not to vote for these people.

The alternatives kind of suck. This election is a ****show, in all honesty. These are the best four (five, I suppose since Kasich is still hanging on) candidates we can come up with?

The alternatives kind of suck. This election is a ****show, in all honesty. These are the best four (five, I suppose since Kasich is still hanging on) candidates we can come up with?

What serious person with altruistic intentions would even want to run for president in this age of technology and sound-bite 24-hour news cycles?

Meh...Im not a fan of either of these two, but going down that list of votes their presence wouldnt have made a difference either way. There are only three issues where it was even close and since they sit on opposite sides of the aisle they would have cancelled each other out.

This happens when we have politicians running for office.

Meh...Im not a fan of either of these two, but going down that list of votes their presence wouldnt have made a difference either way. There are only three issues where it was even close and since they sit on opposite sides of the aisle they would have cancelled each other out.

It doesnt matter. Its their job. What if we did that at our jobs? Dont show up for meetings cause we dont make a difference. What does it say about their character?

Yep, and it wont change because millions of people are sheep. And if you dont act like a sheep, then they claim youre helping the other sheep.

The problem is, the entire lot in Washington are a bunch of lawyers, most of which never even practiced law. They're know-nothing professional campaigners.

Why don't generals run for president anymore? Why don't successful business people comprise most of Congress?

What do dirty, filthy, self-absorbed lawyers really know about national defense, foreign trade, or creating jobs?

We have a band of Saul Goodmans taking on ISIS and Putin, while trying to oversee derivatives and market policy in a high-tech world they don't really understand.

It doesnt matter. Its their job. What if we did that at our jobs? Dont show up for meetings cause we dont make a difference. What does it say about their character?
It is commonly accepted for congressmen that run for presidential office to be absent for votes during the campaign period. I think you really really really really really really really really really really want to make an issue out of this. But its not an issue.

Look at it this way...if ALL those incompetent ****s ran for president and it caused ALL of them to be away from DC...we could call that a 'good start'.

It is commonly accepted for congressmen that run for presidential office to be absent for votes during the campaign period. I think you really really really really really really really really really really want to make an issue out of this. But its not an issue.

Look at it this way...if ALL those incompetent ****s ran for president and it caused ALL of them to be away from DC...we could call that a 'good start'.

I would fire them. THEN it would be a good start.

I would fire them. THEN it would be a good start.
Fire them all. Their voters will have the opportunity to do just that.

Look at Roger Staubach.

Star high school athlete who then won the Heisman Trophy at Navy. Then served in Vietnam before becoming a Hall of Famer and Super Bowl champion quarterback in the NFL. Then, he built a billion-dollar real estate business after his playing career.

All the while, he is married to his high school sweetheart, is a devout Catholic, and has well-grounded kids and grandkids. And pro players he played with that had significant off-the-field problems call him the finest man and best friend they ever had. Watch how Charlie Waters, Drew Pearson, Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson, and others speak reverently about him.

Why don't we elect people like that? No, we pick slime balls and scum buckets.

And we know they wont. 96% of congress gets relected every year.

Which again makes the poutrage over candidates missing votes during an election year rather silly. If that were their voting record normally? Then Id say you have a point. But again...that would be up to their constituents. And maybe the reelection rate speaks far more of the people in this country than their politicians.

Look at Roger Staubach.

Star high school athlete who then won the Heisman Trophy at Navy. Then served in Vietnam before becoming a Hall of Famer and Super Bowl champion quarterback in the NFL. Then, he built a billion-dollar real estate business after his playing career.

All the while, he is married to his high school sweetheart, is a devout Catholic, and has well-grounded kids and grandkids. And pro players he played with that had significant off-the-field problems call him the finest man and best friend they ever had. Watch how Charlie Waters, Drew Pearson, Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson, and others speak reverently about him.

Why don't we elect people like that? No, we pick slime balls and scum buckets.

They have better things to do than be a politician.

This is just the 1Q 2016, and it shows they are AWOL senators. Rubio was rightly criticized for the same thing. Why would we expect them to be any better as Presidents? Just like Obama, they would put elections, fundraising, vacations, and golf ahead of the job they were hired to do.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...s-cruz-leading-senate-in-missed-votes-in-2016

Since they are running for President that would kind of be expected wouldn't it? I don't have the time or inclination to look but I'd expect if you back in time most Congressmen running for President miss lots of votes while campaigning.

I'd further posit that that's a good thing. Do you really want people voting on things that they probably haven't had the time to read?

In any event it's up to the voters they represent to decide whether they're doing their job and to penalize them for running for President and not representing their constituents.

They really should update how Senators and Congress can vote... we do have this thing called technology now.

My comments to the OP about Senators running for President aside I agree. Hell I'd one step further and say with modern technology we could do away with the voting function of Congress and allow for direct voting on bills. Or radically increase the size of Congress to say 10,000 or 100,000 people who represent much small segments of the populace and are thus more directly accountable to the people the represent.

Since they are running for President that would kind of be expected wouldn't it? I don't have the time or inclination to look but I'd expect if you back in time most Congressmen running for President miss lots of votes while campaigning.

I'd further posit that that's a good thing. Do you really want people voting on things that they probably haven't had the time to read?

In any event it's up to the voters they represent to decide whether they're doing their job and to penalize them for running for President and not representing their constituents.

No, I dont expect people running for President to stop showing up for work. They can campaign on weekends.

My comments to the OP about Senators running for President aside I agree. Hell I'd one step further and say with modern technology we could do away with the voting function of Congress and allow for direct voting on bills. Or radically increase the size of Congress to say 10,000 or 100,000 people who represent much small segments of the populace and are thus more directly accountable to the people the represent.

Ouch, Id prefer more local govt to a larger congress. Less power in federal hands means federal elections are less important. Go back to when congress was part time.

No, I dont expect people running for President to stop showing up for work. They can campaign on weekends.

The reality is running for President is a full time job. Anyone who campaigns part time in this environment is bound to lose and just waste contributor's money.

Back
Top Bottom