• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Miss USA says 'American' is her preferred label

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Rima Fakih's beauty pageant sash declares that she is Miss USA, but journalists want to find other labels for her.

Questions about Fakih's ethnic and religious identity have been nearly as frequent as questions about photos of her dancing against a stripper's pole.

Leaky-Dink

I understand that mainstream America still does not believe that there could possibly be an arab muslim who was wasn't *completely* hell-bent on destroying our Nation, but isn't it a bit silly that we refer to her as an Arab-American more than an American?

Honestly, I can't find any information on Kristen Dalton (Miss USA 2009) and her ethnicity. She's from Wilmington, North Carolina... that's a grand population of seagulls there...

Isn't it a bit stupid that we consider it okay to question the ethnicity and cultural heritage of Rima Fakih and not Kristen Dalton?

I mean we are sacrificing time to ask this peripheral questions instead of asking the important questions... like "Pole Dancing?!? Video?"

Isn't it a bit stupid that we consider it okay to question the ethnicity and cultural heritage of Rima Fakih and not Kristen Dalton?

Or Barack Obama and not Bill Clinton? :)

Seriously.

Pole Dancing (not even in a Bikini, HOW UTTERLY LAME!) is so much more newsworthy then the deranged comments of Ms. Malkin.

Props to Mr. Trump though for the racy lingerie shots. :mrgreen:

1A02h.jpg

Oh when will the U.S. accept the truth of Allah?

Also she is shameful for wearing such an outfit in public. Her family should beat her.

Nobody demanded to get her to produce her birth certificate like what many did in the case of Obama?

I personally don't care about her ethnicity or her parent's national origin. My first thought was "is she hot?", since I have a weakness for raven-haired beauties with dark complexions.

Yup, she's hot. Check.

She prefers to be referred to as an American, not an Arab-American... okay, she's smart too, and she is either patriotic or knows how to play the patriot card at least. Good, check that one off.

Pole-dancing? Twenty years ago it would have been a big deal. Not anymore. I mean dayum, we have pole-dancing exercise programs for housewives these days. Big whoop. She was fully dressed while doing it.

Nope, I got no issues with Rima.

I understand that mainstream America still does not believe that there could possibly be an arab muslim who was wasn't *completely* hell-bent on destroying our Nation, but isn't it a bit silly that we refer to her as an Arab-American more than an American?

I don't think so. I mean she is an Arab-American, and the first to become Miss USA. Considering the attitudes the United States have towards Arabs, I think that's quite the accomplishment.

Then again, I don't automatically give negative connotations to the word "Arab-American," unlike others, and I think that's where you're going with this thread.

I don't think so. I mean she is an Arab-American, and the first to become Miss USA. Considering the attitudes the United States have towards Arabs, I think that's quite the accomplishment.

Then again, I don't automatically give negative connotations to the word "Arab-American," unlike others, and I think that's where you're going with this thread.

I'm a fairly outspoken critic of Islamic extremism, with some concerns about Islam in general, and I don't have a problem with Americans of Arab descent; definately no problem with Rima. I think Arch is overstating the case a bit.

As long as they don't want to kill us, wage jihad, or get militant about Sharia, I have nothing against 'em. Live and let live.

I think Arch is overstating the case a bit.

You know, maybe he isn't, but then again I don't think he's talking about how the majority of American people act. Instead, I think he's more commenting on how the majority of American media act, which is to stir up audiences any way they can in order to get them coming back.

If she was born and raised in the USA she is NOT an Arab-American.

She is an American.

White Americans do not hold a monopoly on that title.

This is the same reason why I completely despise the 'politically correct' "African-American" title that all black people in America get.

These hyphenated nationalities should be used for those who have immigrated into America during their lifetime.....not for those who were born and raised here.

Last edited:
Actually bothered to read the link.

She IS an Arab-American.

She was born in Lebanon.

She IS an Arab-American.

She was born in Lebanon.

Your point before though is a good one though. People need to drop the hyphens. I think it separates us to self identify as anything other than Americans when we are born and raised here, particularly for generations.

If she was born and raised in the USA she is NOT an Arab-American.

She is an American.

White Americans do not hold a monopoly on that title.

This is the same reason why I completely despise the 'politically correct' "African-American" title that all black people in America get.

These hyphenated nationalities should be used for those who have immigrated into America during their lifetime.....not for those who were born and raised here.

What's wrong with someone acknowledging their ethnicity along with their nationality?

Also, nobody said that only whites have a monopoly on the title "American." After all, we have Italian-Americans, Greek-Americans, Russian-Americans and those are Caucasian ethnicities.

She IS an Arab-American.

She was born in Lebanon.

I think only officially does that work itself out. She left Lebanon when she was seven years old. She came of age in the United States.

You know, maybe he isn't, but then again I don't think he's talking about how the majority of American people act. Instead, I think he's more commenting on how the majority of American media act, which is to stir up audiences any way they can in order to get them coming back.

I don't know how the majority of people act. Where I'm from I cannot go read a book about Islam in a coffeehouse without getting heckled by some overzealous, Robert Spencer reading, old guy who thinks because I am a young college student and reading about Islam that I've made a commitment to Allah.

American Media (not just CNN/Fox/MSNBC/Rachel Maddow, but television and film dramas) continually portrays Arabs as some Earthly representation of Sand People; Barbaric and savage to large regards. Entertainment shaped our perception of the Middle East and we draw general conclusions without any real experience.
I'm not saying that the Middle East isn't riffled with problems. But I am saying that we need to draw a line between an Arab who is born, raised, and cultivated in the Middle East and one who was born in Lebanon but matured, raised, and cultivated in the United States.

The idea that people rumored that she had connections to Hizb'allah would be as aggravating, as a Parisian rumoring that you were a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

Your point before though is a good one though. People need to drop the hyphens. I think it separates us to self identify as anything other than Americans when we are born and raised here, particularly for generations.

Until they take the "African-American" formality I respectively decline to call myself anything other than Irish-Welsh-Scottish-American

Can we just be honest about this?

I really don't think anyone gives a flying **** who miss USA is. I can't find a single person that watched in my whole office out of 30 guys and 5 women or any of my friends.

They make up stupid scandals like this all the time for a little bit of press. This is no different than a celebrity releasing an "amateur" sex tape that they never knew would get the public *shock and awe*.

All this muslim crap is for show. The american public bought it, hook line and sinker.

Pole-dancing? Twenty years ago it would have been a big deal. Not anymore. I mean dayum, we have pole-dancing exercise programs for housewives these days. Big whoop. She was fully dressed while doing it.

Nope, I got no issues with Rima.

No, no, no!

The pole dancing is a big concern because she did it fully clothed.

Lame with a capital L.

What's wrong with someone acknowledging their ethnicity along with their nationality?
And then cry racism when someone mentions their ethnicity?

Don't think so. If we want to reduce racism we need to encourage everyone to be on the same playing field.

Also, nobody said that only whites have a monopoly on the title "American." After all, we have Italian-Americans, Greek-Americans, Russian-Americans and those are Caucasian ethnicities.
Which, again, should be reserved for those who have immigrated to America, not those 3rd generation Italians who had no stinking clue what their 'home country' looks like.

How many 6th generation black folks do you know who have ever even been to Africa? Sure there are many, but the vast majority have not, and have no desire to do so.

Back
Top Bottom