• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mishandling classified documents was made a felony under the trump administration

I am curious, to the people who are still pro-Trump....if it turns out that Trump did retain classified documents regarding nuclear weapons, does this change your opinion of him?

Bold of you to assume that they will actually believe he did so, merely because the evidence says he did.

Bold of you to assume that they will actually believe he did so, merely because the evidence says he did.
Do you understand the meaning of IF?

I am curious, to the people who are still pro-Trump....IF it turns out that Trump did retain classified documents regarding nuclear weapons, does this change your opinion of him?

I assumed nothing. I heard what they were looking for and asked a simple question.

Can you answer the HYPOTHETICAL?

Do you understand the meaning of IF?

I assumed nothing. I heard what they were looking for and asked a simple question.

Can you answer the HYPOTHETICAL?
Sure can. If it turns out that Trump retained classified information of the type you describe, it is likely that Trump fans will follow one of two routes:

- they will claim that it didn't happen, and that the evidence was planted, just as they claimed that Trump didn't lose the election.

- they will deflect to Hillary, who also kept large amounts of classified data.

Why trust a stranger on the internet that doesn't understand presidents can declassify anything?
1. President's cannot declassify nuclear secrets. If there are any nuclear secrets in those documents, they are still top secret.

2. There is a reason why Trump took the documents he took. If that reason is that they implicate him in criminal activities, and that is likely why he did it, whether he declassified them or not will be irrelevant to any charges that spring from the search.

Sure can. If it turns out that Trump retained classified information of the type you describe, it is likely that Trump fans will follow one of two routes:

- they will claim that it didn't happen, and that the evidence was planted, just as they claimed that Trump didn't lose the election.

Claiming law enforcement planted evidence is the last desperate act of virtually every criminal when they know they are caught. Trump knows they got him, that is why he is making that claim now. If he knew that what was seized doesn't implicate him in serious criminal activity, his response would not have been that the FBI planted evidence, but rather would be that they have nothing.

Of course, as you say, they will say but her emails... That may help him with his base, but will be a meaningless defense should he face prosecution.

trump did this because of Hillary Clinton's cell phone. Now he is the one committing the felony that his administration demanded for mishandling classified documents.

THE IRONY IS SWEET!
Does it really matter. Hillary is above the law. Comey even said it was OK.

Why trust a stranger on the internet that doesn't understand presidents can declassify anything?
The president cannot declassify just anything - particularly, anything to do with nuclear weapons is automatically classified upon its creation and cannot be disclassified by the president or anyone else except under extreme circumstances and must be signed off by appropriate people prescribed in law in the Department of Enegy. Read the Atomic Energy Act for information and stop listening to Republican sycophants who obviously don't know, or don't care, what the law is.

You forgot Benghazi.

Sorry, it won't be good. If you are unaware of the 6 year constant assault on Trump I would recommend you broaden your reading and news watching.

Did you pay no attention to the things he did? My God.

Claiming law enforcement planted evidence is the last desperate act of virtually every criminal when they know they are caught. Trump knows they got him, that is why he is making that claim now. If he knew that what was seized doesn't implicate him in serious criminal activity, his response would not have been that the FBI planted evidence, but rather would be that they have nothing.

It's Trump. I absolutely believe he would say that to try to defend himself, and I absolutely believe he would just say that.

Of course, as you say, they will say but her emails... That may help him with his base, but will be a meaningless defense should he face prosecution.

Yes, but her emails.

This is bigger than a possible - possible - statutory infraction regarding storage. We are messing with whether or not our parties should start weaponizing domestic police powers against each other. If Trump gets prosecuted for a lesser version of the crime Hillary walked for, the odds that Republicans don't return the favor when they get back into power are close to nil.

Do you want more Jan 6's? Because this is a path that can very easily lead to more Jan 6's.

The president cannot declassify just anything - particularly, anything to do with nuclear weapons is automatically classified upon its creation and cannot be disclassified by the president or anyone else except under extreme circumstances and must be signed off by appropriate people prescribed in law in the Department of Enegy. Read the Atomic Energy Act for information and stop listening to Republican sycophants who obviously don't know, or don't care, what the law is.
Have you read it?

It's Trump. I absolutely believe he would say that to try to defend himself, and I absolutely believe he would just say that.

Yes, but her emails.

This is bigger than a possible - possible - statutory infraction regarding storage. We are messing with whether or not our parties should start weaponizing domestic police powers against each other. If Trump gets prosecuted for a lesser version of the crime Hillary walked for, the odds that Republicans don't return the favor when they get back into power are close to nil.

Do you want more Jan 6's? Because this is a path that can very easily lead to more Jan 6's.
I cannot imagine that the Department of Justice would charge a former president with anything but a very serious crime.

If Trump gets prosecuted for a lesser version of the crime Hillary walked for, the odds that Republicans don't return the favor when they get back into power are close to nil.
On the contrary, DOJ would never in a million years go after a Democrat like that. Regardless of which party its "leadership" belonged to.

On the contrary, DOJ would never in a million years go after a Democrat like that. Regardless of which party its "leadership" belonged to.
DOJ's leadership can be replaced.

Does it really matter. Hillary is above the law. Comey even said it was OK.
You have to be delusional to think that if Hillary committed a prosecutable offense that Trump's Department of Justice would not have indicted her. Hell, Trump even tasked them with investigating her and her campaign, they didn't come up with shit.

There are corrupt Democrats, no doubt, but the number of felony convictions of members of Republican Administrations over the last 50 years outnumber the number in Democratic Administrations by over 100 to 1. That is literally the case. Ya'll are being had again and again and again, and the GOP will continue to get worse and more corrupt and more lawless until the base says you know what, I am sick of this shit, I am sick of the lies, I am sick of clowns and nut jobs being elected and the distractions and red herrings and ginned up "scandals", bring these assholes to justice and clean house so we can have a Conservative party in this country with respect for our laws and institutions again.

I knew Trump was a piece of shit in early 90s when I was in Junior High, and he was a Democrat then, what is taking you guys so long to catch on to him?

In these stupid times, I can :(
This DoD is ran by a moderate and an institutionalist. Not a stupid man. In fact, if anything he is overly cautious. The FBI is ran by a Trump appointee. I just see him getting indicted unless the charges the charges are extremely serious and the case is rock solid.

DOJ's leadership can be replaced.
Yes, DOJ's figureheads can and will be replaced, like the figureheads for every other federal agency. The permanent employees, who are overwhelmingly Democratic, will stay there regardless.

The DoD is ran by a moderate and an institutionalist. Not a stupid man. In fact, if anything he is overly cautious. The FBI is ran by a Trump appointee. I just see him getting indicted unless the charges the charges are extremely serious and the case is rock solid.

It would be nice if I could trust that. We will see.

He cannot declassify any that are about nuclear secrets.

I've seen this op-ed thrown out a couple of times today. The only actual supporting information I've seen is that the statutes' referenced put Restricted Data under the purview of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

However, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission falls under Executive Oversight when it comes to declassification, which is why it's process is controlled by the relevant Executive Orders (ie: POTUS):

The NRC's Declassification Process

Executive Order 13256 prescribes a uniform system for classifying, safeguarding, and declassifying national security information. (As such, this new Order replaces Executive Order 12958, which President Clinton issued in 1995 and President Bush subsequently amended in 2003.) As specified in the Executive Order, when information is originally classified (Confidential, Secret, or Top Secret), an original classification authority must establish a specific date or event for declassification based on the duration of the national security sensitivity of the information. Moreover, Section 3.1 of the Executive Order requires information to be declassified as soon as it no longer meets the standards for classification.

Under the NRC's Declassification Program, all classified documents are reviewed for automatic declassification not later than 25 years from the date of the document. Classification determinations are based upon classification guides developed by the U.S. Government. Information may only be declassified by (1) the official who authorized the original classification, (2) a supervisory official (or successor) of the originating classification authority, or (3) agency subject matter experts who have been delegated declassification authority in writing by the NRC. Information that continues to meet the classification requirements of the Executive Order warrants continued protection. Thus, in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Executive Order, NRC senior officials may exempt from automatic declassification certain specific classified information.

A document that is identified as a candidate for declassification will be reviewed by a subject matter expert, who is also an authorized derivative classifier. If the subject matter expert determines that the document is no longer considered classified, it will be recommended for declassification. However, if another Federal agency originated the classified information, the document will be referred back to that agency for declassification review.

If nothing else, four years of Trump have identified major, exploitable flaws in our governing policies and procedures

Back
Top Bottom