• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Miracles do happen and GOD makes them occur for reasons we cannot always fathom!

That's a great story about what seems like a lovely family. But what the hell doe sit have to do with your fairy tale, other than to remind us that the God you believe in couldn't be bothered to issue a commandment against owning other people as property? Heck, four of the ten were dedicated to glorifying himself. You'd think he could hand over one to do away with slavery.
GOD has specific regulations with regard to the children of Israel. But the truth be told, you don't care for anything GOD says, so what makes you so sure you'd listen to GOD concerning servitude? The Romans didn't ---- what other nation did? And there are still millions of slaves in Africa to this were day ---- go figure.

There is no such thing as LUCK. Everything occurs for a reason.

There is such a thing as randomness. Anyone who has played a game with dice knows this. There are not specific reasons for the results of each roll, but there are statistical probabilities. This is not the same as having a specific reason for each result of rolling dice.

GOD has specific regulations with regard to the children of Israel. But the truth be told, you don't care for anything GOD says, so what makes you so sure you'd listen to GOD concerning servitude? The Romans didn't ---- what other nation did? And there are still millions of slaves in Africa to this were day ---- go figure.

What specific regulations? Don't beat your slave until it dies?

You're right, I don't personally care what "god" says because I don't believe a god has said anything. I do care what other people believe their god said, because it affects me indirectly. The fact that so many people dedicate their lives to worshipping a god who couldn't be bothered to command them not to own slaves, as the ultimate scource of truth and morality, is pretty scary.

You're right, I don't personally care what "god" says because I don't believe a god has said anything. I do care what other people believe their god said, because it affects me indirectly. The fact that so many people dedicate their lives to worshipping a god who couldn't be bothered to command them not to own slaves, as the ultimate source of truth and morality, is pretty scary.
Everyone is a slave to something throughout their lifetime. Some are even a slave to multiple masters. I believe GOD allows man in this life to be what he wants, and that often means to under the control by some master. Now that master may be GOD (GOD's yoke is easy). The master maybe drugs, or alcohol, or sex, or even power, or a career, or a system of beliefs/opinions, perhaps even Satan himself. But no one is without some Master. That is what is so poignant about the story of the Parodical Son.

He took his inheritance and squandered it on the "good life" and ended up a slave at a pig farm where even the pigs lived better than did he. But he then decided to return to his Father and serve him because the Parodical Son came to realize he would face better treatment among the servants there. And so what happened? His Father saw him coming and ran out to meet his boy and throw a party for him. But this is not where the story ends. The Elder Son took exception to what was happening. The Elder Son had stayed and worked but not because he loved his Father. He wanted be in command and inherit the "farm". He didn't love his brother and he despised what his father was doing. It interfered with his own plans. So, even the Elder Son was a slave to his own desires and pride. He loved no one but himself ------ he didn't want his brother back.

And so we come to today. Many kids have a wonderful opportunity to become educated and learn, but what do some do? Some rather have a boyfriend or girlfriend. Some would rather watch TV or go to a movie or talk on the phone instead of being a slave to homework... Instead they become a slave to being lazy or doing their own thing. You yourself have a wonderful opportunity to investigate a belief in GOD. You seem rather to be a slave to your own denial and need to presume upon that.

The illustrations are all there. Without GOD you will remain a slave to your own shortcomings and whims. It has only been where GOD is at the very center of a desire, that a individual learns that it is far better to give than to take or receive ---- and he becomes free of guilt, free of shame, free of trying to take what someone else has---- and free to move on with life.

The Romans adopted and spread a little random religion beyond the wildest hopes and dreams of it's initial cultists. It's what they did. They recognised and Romanised local deities as part of absorbing new populations while empire building. There are millions of slaves world wide, including the USA.

Everyone is a slave to something throughout their lifetime. Some are even a slave to multiple masters. I believe GOD allows man in this life to be what he wants, and that often means to under the control by some master. Now that master may be GOD (GOD's yoke is easy). The master maybe drugs, or alcohol, or sex, or even power, or a career, or a system of beliefs/opinions, perhaps even Satan himself. But no one is without some Master. That is what is so poignant about the story of the Parodical Son.

He took his inheritance and squandered it on the "good life" and ended up a slave at a pig farm where even the pigs lived better than did he. But he then decided to return to his Father and serve him because the Parodical Son came to realize he would face better treatment among the servants there. And so what happened? His Father saw him coming and ran out to meet his boy and throw a party for him. But this is not where the story ends. The Elder Son took exception to what was happening. The Elder Son had stayed and worked but not because he loved his Father. He wanted be in command and inherit the "farm". He didn't love his brother and he despised what his father was doing. It interfered with his own plans. So, even the Elder Son was a slave to his own desires and pride. He loved no one but himself ------ he didn't want his brother back.

And so we come to today. Many kids have a wonderful opportunity to become educated and learn, but what do some do? Some rather have a boyfriend or girlfriend. Some would rather watch TV or go to a movie or talk on the phone instead of being a slave to homework... Instead they become a slave to being lazy or doing their own thing. You yourself have a wonderful opportunity to investigate a belief in GOD. You seem rather to be a slave to your own denial and need to presume upon that.

The illustrations are all there. Without GOD you will remain a slave to your own shortcomings and whims. It has only been where GOD is at the very center of a desire, that a individual learns that it is far better to give than to take or receive ---- and he becomes free of guilt, free of shame, free of trying to take what someone else has---- and free to move on with life.

The Bible isn’t talking about metaphorical slavery in the parts where your god says he’s cool with actual literal chattel slavery.

If that story gives some people the courage to go on in this vale of tears, then more power to them!

Surely the happiest people in the world are those that can convince themselves that there is a personal God who really does care for them despite all indications to the contrary.

I know one thing - that God does care for the wellbeing of his people in that they won't have to listen forever to spiritually-challenged unbelievers (all unbelievers will be cast into the Lake of Fire - Revelation 21:8).

There is no 'capital punishment' by individuals authorized in the New Testament due to John 8:7 - "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

There are plenty such stories that do not include buying a "Plantation House". Why use the Plantation House for the story? You know.

If that story gives some people the courage to go on in this vale of tears, then more power to them!

Surely the happiest people in the world are those that can convince themselves that there is a personal God who really does care for them despite all indications to the contrary.

That's moronic drivel.

There is such a thing as randomness. Anyone who has played a game with dice knows this. There are not specific reasons for the results of each roll, but there are statistical probabilities. This is not the same as having a specific reason for each result of rolling dice.
What your saying in a round about way, is no free will, everything can be determined given the right statistical formula.. I think I'm making choices, but I'm really not.

There is no 'capital punishment' by individuals authorized in the New Testament due to John 8:7 - "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Really, what's the bibles recipe for a serial killer, someone whose murdered a dozen or more people. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

My solution for a convicted serial killer is simple, strap him to a chair and pull the switch ASAP.

I know one thing - that God does care for the wellbeing of his people in that they won't have to listen forever to spiritually-challenged unbelievers (all unbelievers will be cast into the Lake of Fire - Revelation 21:8).
Wow, nice stuff here, its where murderers and innocent non believers like myself go when they die.

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone which is the second death. Revelation 21.8.

I mean you talk about controlling the sheep with fear ..when you die you die, that's it, no lakes of fire or la la lands

God did a good job caring for the well-being of his people during the Holocaust

How caring of him. Threats of eternal violence is really showing his love.

How caring of him. Threats of eternal violence is really showing his love.
Fear tactics seems to be the only thing some theists have. God is basically a cosmic mafia Don making you the proverbial "offer you can't refuse" and non-believers will be the horse's head in Satan's bed.

And the true believers would say, god had his reasons for six million dead Jews.

And if Hitler confessed his sins to god before he blew his brains out, he'd go straight to heaven.

And the true believers would say, god had his reasons for six million dead Jews.

And if Hitler confessed his sins to god before he blew his brains out, he'd go straight to heaven.
Well, the excuse is usually along the lines of "god's will," "God works in mysterious way," "God has a plan," ect.. The level of irrational and/or delusional thinking to make excuses for god is staggering.

I was hoping Logicman could provide some moral clarity, but he left the building

They were no longer His chosen people...

Wow, nice stuff here, its where murderers and innocent non believers like myself go when they die.

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone which is the second death. Revelation 21.8.

I mean you talk about controlling the sheep with fear ..when you die you die, that's it, no lakes of fire or la la lands
You don't GO anywhere...you're just dead...the lake of fire is merely symbolic for everlasting destruction with no chance of a resurrection...

1. That quote does not prohibit capital punishment. If Jesus wanted to prohibit capital punishment, that would have been a lot easier to be clear about.
2. That has nothing to do with what we're talking about, which is slavery, not capital punishment.

Back
Top Bottom