• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Minnesota professor says Sturgis Rally will fuel nationwide increase in COVID-19 cases

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Minnesota professor says Sturgis Rally will fuel nationwide increase in COVID-19 cases | KELOLAND.com

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (KELO) — While the Sturgis Rally ended nearly two weeks ago, a University of Minnesota professor and epidemiologist says the annual motorcycle gathering in South Dakota will continue to contribute to higher COVID-19 case counts nationwide.

Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, said the COVID-19 pandemic is currently in another “pause” nationwide. He said in the next three to four weeks, total new cases will start to climb again across the country.

One reason for another steady rise in cases, Osterholm believes, is because of the Sturgis Rally. He addresses his concerns with the Sturgis Rally as well as college campuses in a podcast released by the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota on Friday.

Osterholm says on the podcast there are “big differences” in the science of COVID-19 transmission between the large Black Lives Matter protests in late May and early June and the Sturgis Rally, which took place Aug. 7-16.

“At Sturgis, there are many bar-related outbreaks and tattoo parlor-related outbreaks. A number of different indoor locations were visited,” Osterholm said on the podcast. “We’re now seeing these cases pour back out across the United States.”

For the protests, which were held mostly outside, Osterholm said the air was able to help curb the spread of COVID-19.

“We didn’t see a big increase of cases there,” Osterholm said.

Osterholm cited the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, saying more than half of the counties in America were represented in some way at the Sturgis Rally.

“We’ve already seen outbreaks here, in Minnesota. Small clusters of cases, that actually started in its first instance with an individual from Sturgis who came back infected, who then transmitted the virus on to others,” Osterholm said. “I think you’re going to see that number grow substantially. That by itself will not drive a big, new national outbreak but it’ll sure contribute to that issue.”

Osterholm called on people who went to Sturgis to get tested.

“I would urge them to get tested although I know many of them don’t believe they need to get tested,” Osterholm said.

On Thursday, the City of Sturgis announced results from a mass testing event which showed 26 positive cases of COVID-19 from 650 people tested.
==================================================================================
I wonder if those vaccinated by then return next year for another go at it.

Minnesota professor says Sturgis Rally will fuel nationwide increase in COVID-19 cases | KELOLAND.com

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (KELO) — While the Sturgis Rally ended nearly two weeks ago, a University of Minnesota professor and epidemiologist says the annual motorcycle gathering in South Dakota will continue to contribute to higher COVID-19 case counts nationwide.

Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, said the COVID-19 pandemic is currently in another “pause” nationwide. He said in the next three to four weeks, total new cases will start to climb again across the country.

One reason for another steady rise in cases, Osterholm believes, is because of the Sturgis Rally. He addresses his concerns with the Sturgis Rally as well as college campuses in a podcast released by the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota on Friday.

Osterholm says on the podcast there are “big differences” in the science of COVID-19 transmission between the large Black Lives Matter protests in late May and early June and the Sturgis Rally, which took place Aug. 7-16.

“At Sturgis, there are many bar-related outbreaks and tattoo parlor-related outbreaks. A number of different indoor locations were visited,” Osterholm said on the podcast. “We’re now seeing these cases pour back out across the United States.”

For the protests, which were held mostly outside, Osterholm said the air was able to help curb the spread of COVID-19.

Osterholm cited the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, saying more than half of the counties in America were represented in some way at the Sturgis Rally.

“We’ve already seen outbreaks here, in Minnesota. Small clusters of cases, that actually started in its first instance with an individual from Sturgis who came back infected, who then transmitted the virus on to others,” Osterholm said. “I think you’re going to see that number grow substantially. That by itself will not drive a big, new national outbreak but it’ll sure contribute to that issue.”

“I would urge them to get tested although I know many of them don’t believe they need to get tested,” Osterholm said.

On Thursday, the City of Sturgis announced results from a mass testing event which showed 26 positive cases of COVID-19 from 650 people tested.
==================================================================================

Another "expert" looking for notoriety by pulling hypothetical fearful speculation from some dark orifice... :roll:

Here comes the third wave.

We may never get out of this until we get rid of covidiotic governors and trump.

Another "expert" looking for notoriety by pulling hypothetical fearful speculation from some dark orifice... :roll:

Another useless comment from the peanut gallery. Take a number and have a seat. :thumbs:

of course it will.

they came for all over the country and then returned home.

but some people are horrible at math and don't care.

Yup...it's totally this one rally that's going to do it. It's not months of large crowds of rioters in city after city that's going to spread anything. These people are nutbags.

Yup...it's totally this one rally that's going to do it. It's not months of large crowds of rioters in city after city that's going to spread anything. These people are nutbags.

Last I checked we had no spikes from the protests. Has that changed?

Or does social distancing and at least partial mask wearing in the outdoors limit the spread?

Sturgis should give us some idea as to the answer to that question. Or the crowded maskless gathering.

Or, for that matter, that big march on Washington event. Which was masks and tempeature checks, but still crowded together.

See what I did there? I included a possible negative example from my "side". And will accept it if it turns out to have been a bad idea.

Spreading fear and fomenting chaos is all the left has.

Here comes the third wave.

We may never get out of this until we get rid of covidiotic governors and trump.

Telling graph - the virus was spread to the locals, from all the travellers. Years ago, I was travelling through this area during the Sturgis event. We had to travel about 250 miles into South Dakota, from Sturgis, before we could find a motel. No doubt, most of the state was exposed.

Last I checked we had no spikes from the protests. Has that changed?

Or does social distancing and at least partial mask wearing in the outdoors limit the spread?

Sturgis should give us some idea as to the answer to that question. Or the crowded maskless gathering.

Or, for that matter, that big march on Washington event. Which was masks and tempeature checks, but still crowded together.

See what I did there? I included a possible negative example from my "side". And will accept it if it turns out to have been a bad idea.

Uhhh...where have you been? We've seen a massive rise in cases and it coincides closely with when these protests/riots started with the death of George Floyd.

Uhhh...where have you been? We've seen a massive rise in cases and it coincides closely with when these protests/riots started with the death of George Floyd.

I believe the protests were outdoors, and despite the numbers, most were wearing masks, they did not contribute substantially. For the same reason, I dont think the gathering on the White House lawn will have much impact. On the other hand, the indoor rally in Tulsa was not a good idea. Herman Cain may have contracted the Virus from that rally, and subsequently died.

Researchers Say Protests Didn't Increase Covid-19 Spread—But Republicans Are Still Blaming Them

The scientific evidence so far doesn’t back up that explanation: Last week, a team of economists also released a 60-page paper through the National Bureau of Economic Research, which found “no evidence that urban protests reignited Covid-19 case growth during the more than three weeks following protest onset.”

New York City, for example, had large protests in the days following the death of George Floyd, but the city did not record a coronavirus spike as a result.

I believe the protests were outdoors, and despite the numbers, most were wearing masks, they did not contribute substantially. For the same reason, I dont think the gathering on the White House lawn will have much impact. On the other hand, the indoor rally in Tulsa was not a good idea. Herman Cain may have contracted the Virus from that rally, and subsequently died.

Researchers Say Protests Didn't Increase Covid-19 Spread—But Republicans Are Still Blaming Them

The scientific evidence so far doesn’t back up that explanation: Last week, a team of economists also released a 60-page paper through the National Bureau of Economic Research, which found “no evidence that urban protests reignited Covid-19 case growth during the more than three weeks following protest onset.”

New York City, for example, had large protests in the days following the death of George Floyd, but the city did not record a coronavirus spike as a result.

NYC was likely near herd immunity due to them being hit so hard in the beginning.

NYC was likely near herd immunity due to them being hit so hard in the beginning.

Prove it with supporting documentation.

All that paper says is that the basic compartmental models' assumptions of homogeneity don't hold, and smaller groups exist. Welcome to something that's been known for a long time! The paper also says this:

Our estimates suggest that the hardest-hit areas, such as NYC, are close to the heterogeneity-modified herd immunity threshold following the first wave of the epidemic. However, this type of immunity is fragile as it wanes over time if the pattern of social interactions changes substantially.

Such as, say, a bunch of people from a low-infected subset of the population get infected by a bunch of bikers from a town in South Dakota.

California has had a mask mandate for two months now and after that period, both daily cases and daily deaths are higher now than before the mask mandate. They are currently having over 4,000 cases per day and 100-200 deaths per day but the left would rather talk about 150 people from the Sturgis rally rather than the 4000 daily cases in California. The total number of positive cases from the Sturgis rally is about the same number as the DAILY number of deaths in California, every day. Why doesn't the left talk about that?

California has had a mask mandate for two months now and after that period, both daily cases and daily deaths are higher now than before the mask mandate. They are currently having over 4,000 cases per day and 100-200 deaths per day but the left would rather talk about 150 people from the Sturgis rally rather than the 4000 daily cases in California. The total number of positive cases from the Sturgis rally is about the same number as the DAILY number of deaths in California, every day. Why doesn't the left talk about that?

The answer to that question is rather obvious, isn't it? The object of controlling a pandemic is to track rates of infection in an area. South Dakota is currently the worst in the Nation, thus they are being called out. California, New York, Florida, Texas - all high population areas, which were the epicenters, but now all have lower infection rates. You are correct in that it's better to have a low-population state as an epicenter. New York went through a horrible time, but they are a good model as to how to control it. At one time, it seemed like they were going over the edge to the dark side.

Map: Track this summer'''s coronavirus hot spots across the U.S.

Coronavirus_hot_spots.JPG

The answer to that question is rather obvious, isn't it? The object of controlling a pandemic is to track rates of infection in an area. South Dakota is currently the worst in the Nation, thus they are being called out. California, New York, Florida, Texas - all high population areas, which were the epicenters, but now all have lower infection rates. You are correct in that it's better to have a low-population state as an epicenter. New York went through a horrible time, but they are a good model as to how to control it. At one time, it seemed like they were going over the edge to the dark side.

Map: Track this summer'''s coronavirus hot spots across the U.S.

View attachment 67293776

Ummmmm, and how is this helping in California, where after over two months of a mask mandate, increased testing, increased contact tracing, and they are having more cases now than they were over two months ago? You're calling 150 total cases a hot spot when California has over 4000 new cases every single day, 6485 yesterday? And you want to sell me the bull**** that South Dakota is a hotspot while California isn't? Really? Yesterday, South Dakota had 187 new cases, California 6485. Now which one is the hotspot?

Last edited:

That's what you get for leaving reopening up to the counties.

Back
Top Bottom