• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Minneapolis Man: Cop Who Kneeled on George Floyd ‘Tried to Kill Me’ in 2008

dirtpoorchris

King of Videos
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Minneapolis Man: Cop Who Kneeled on George Floyd ‘Tried to Kill Me’ in 2008

There was a police abuse report on the cops that kneeled a man to death on his neck for shooting a man in his stomach.

Cops enter his house. Bust open his bathroom door. Begin pistol whipping him with the butt of his gun... When the guy flinches he says hes reaching for the gun... Shoots the victim in the stomach... Oh ya same cop who kneed a mans neck to death as bystanders begged him to stop.

Ira Latrell Toles didn’t immediately recognize Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin in the now-viral video of him holding his knee on George Floyd’s neck as the handcuffed black man repeatedly told him he couldn’t breathe.But when news outlets identified the officers involved, Toles, 33, realized the man responsible for Floyd’s death was the same police officer who barged into his home and beat him up in the bathroom before shooting him in the stomach 12 years earlier while responding to a domestic violence call.
“The officer that killed that guy might be the one that shot me,” Toles texted his sister on Tuesday night, according to messages shared with The Daily Beast. “They said his last name and I think it was him.”
“It’s him,” his sister instantly replied.
------------------------------

Toles, who was then 21, admits that the mother of his child called the cops on him that night, but he was surprised when several officers showed up without announcing themselves. “When I saw that he breached the front door, I ran in the bathroom,” Toles told The Daily Beast. “Then [Chauvin] starts kicking in that door. I was in the bathroom with a cigarette and no lighter.”
The 33-year-old said that Chauvin broke into the bathroom and started to hit him without warning. Toles said he returned blows to the officer because “my natural reaction to someone hitting me is to stop them from hitting me.”
“All I could do is assume it was the police because they didn’t announce themselves or ever give me a command,” he said. “I didn’t know what to think when he started hitting me. I swear he was hitting me with the gun.”
According to local news reports, Chauvin shot and wounded Toles after he allegedly reached for an officer’s gun. Toles said he doesn’t remember being shot—just “being walked through the apartment until I collapsed in the main entrance where I was left to bleed until the paramedics came.”
“I remember my baby mother screaming and crying also,” he added.
Toles was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he said he stayed for about three days. There, he learned Chauvin had shot him at such close range that the bullet went through his groin and came out his left butt cheek before hitting the bathroom wall. The wound, he said, left a hole that “never really closed” and is so large he can still stick a finger inside.
Once he was released from the hospital, Toles said he was taken directly to court, where he was charged with two felony counts of obstructing legal process or arrest and a misdemeanor count of domestic assault.
“I would assume my reaction would be to try to stop him from hitting me. If his first reaction was hitting me in the face that means I can’t see and I’m too disoriented to first locate his gun and then try to take it from him and for what?” Toles said. “To turn a misdemeanor disorderly situation into a felony situation that could have resulted in me dying? He tried to kill me in that bathroom.”

All four should be arrested and taken into custody and booked on homicide charges. This was a murder and 3 other cops that did nothing to stop it even though bystanders begged them to intercede. They can wait their turn in a prison cell for their case to be called just like any Black male that sits rotting in prison waiting for his trial on a charge of possession.

All four should be arrested and taken into custody and booked on homicide charges. This was a murder and 3 other cops that did nothing to stop it even though bystanders begged them to intercede. They can wait their turn in a prison cell for their case to be called just like any Black male that sits rotting in prison waiting for his trial on a charge of possession.

As I've posted recently*, the cop who did the kneeling could certainly go down on second degree murder in MA. I don't see how you charge the other three. There is felony-murder in many if not all states (of varying form), but what felony can we say all four cops were either conspiring to engage in, or engaging in as joint venturers when the killing happened?

They were investigating a suspected forgery.

*Short form instructions:

1. The defendant caused the victim's death.

2. The defendant:

a. intended to kill the victim; or

b. intended to cause grievous bodily harm to the victim; or

c. intended to do an act which, in the circumstances known to the defendant, a reasonable person would have known created a plain and strong likelihood of death would result.

3. [irrel]

4. [Where there is evidence of mitigating circumstances] In addition to these elements, the Commonwealth must also prove that there were no mitigating circumstances. If the Commonwealth proves all the required elements, but fails to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that there were no mitigating circumstances, you must find the defendant not guilty of murder, but you shall return a verdict of voluntary manslaughter.

Three of them didn't commit murder.

Three of them didn't commit murder.

They didn't appear to stop it either and should be punished for their lack of action.

Blue Line of Silence.
The moment you speak up or stand up on another cop doing wrong, you're toast.
Word gets around and not only will most other cops refuse to work with you, some will decide it's time you learned a lesson.
It's always been that way, it's the nature of the job.

So don't ever expect a cop to stand up to another cop. It happens occasionally but it's generally because all the other cops already agreed prior that they don't like the guy either. Otherwise, if you're a cop and you see some ethical, moral or even legal lapses, it's the Blue Line of Silence or else, if you want to continue being a cop, a cop who survives.

I had a landlord at a flophouse on South 27th Avenue named Glenn Ceravsky (now long since deceased) who was an old former Third Precinct cop and I'll never forget a Third Precinct cop telling me if Ceravsky ever tries to steal my stuff and I catch him, to just knock his ass out and they'll take care of the rest...nudge nudge wink wink.

"But what if he has a gun?"
"He better goddamn well not have one. We took em all and we search for them every time we get called over there."

They HATED Ceravsky and Ceravsky knew they did.

I'll never know why, though.

They didn't appear to stop it either and should be punished for their lack of action.

But, their crime isn't murder. Accessory to murder, but not murder.

Some folks want these dudes to be over-charged, practically guaranteeing that they walk, scot free.

Back
Top Bottom