• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Minneapolis Courts Chicago's Same-Sex Couples

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Minneapolis Courts Chicago's Same-Sex Couples[/h]
by CHERYL CORLEY

September 07, 2013 2:04 PM

With the skyline of Chicago behind him, Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak stands on a rooftop plaza in Boystown, the heart of a predominantly gay community.

He's here on a recruiting mission. Minnesota legalized gay marriage just over a month ago, but Illinois' same-sex measure is stalled in its legislature. So now the mayor of Minneapolis is drumming up business for his city — setting his sight on millions of wedding dollars that could come from Illinois.

Rybak hoists an ad that features wedding flowers and a tagline that reads, "Hey Chicago, I want to marry you in Minneapolis."

Anthony Martinez, executive director of The Civil Rights Agenda, a Chicago-based LGBT organization, advises gays and lesbians who live in states where marriage is not legal to get hitched in a state where it is. That allows them access to federal benefits, due to the recent Supreme Court decision rejecting the Defense of Marriage Act.

"For tax purposes, you can file jointly," he says. "If you want to be able to sponsor someone for immigration, or if you are a veteran, you can access benefits. So there are many rights and responsibilities already they are recognizing at the federal level if you're married in a different state."

Jean Fishbeck and Judy Popovich have been together for 17 years. Since 13 states and Washington, D.C., have legalized same-sex marriage, the Chicago couple say they've considered it.

"We were in San Francisco two weeks ago," Fishbeck says. "We thought about it then. But it seemed more practical to get Illinois to get it so we'd get the same state benefits."

"And to have it recognized in the state in which we live," Popovich adds.

Yet many couples are expected to travel to Minneapolis, just as more than 500 have traveled from Illinois to Iowa to marry since same-sex marriage became legal there in 2009.

Back up links:
What's Behind the Minneapolis Gay Marriage Pitch? - ABC News
Mayor To Gay Couples: 'I Want To Marry You In Minneapolis' : The Two-Way : NPR

awesome, nothing wrong with cashing in while there are still states trying to discriminate. But now with the new IRS rules these couples get some equality once they are back in their homes states and they will be allowed to file as married even if their state is still discriminating.

The writing is on the wall folks, Equality is coming and discrimination is losing.

The fall of DOMA, the IRS ruling, all this anti-discriminate laws, ordinances and amendments to state constitutions are all stepping stones.

The best part like i said before is all those states that wen and banned equal rights are actually going to make it EASIER to get them now once they are challenged. Because its going to be that very banning that is found to be discrimination and a violation of equality. Oh the sweet irony.

a couple court cases in states when they try to discriminate against a couple in the hospital or when one dies out of state or has an accident and all of it is going to get over turned.

Back up links:
What's Behind the Minneapolis Gay Marriage Pitch? - ABC News
Mayor To Gay Couples: 'I Want To Marry You In Minneapolis' : The Two-Way : NPR

awesome, nothing wrong with cashing in while there are still states trying to discriminate. But now with the new IRS rules these couples get some equality once they are back in their homes states and they will be allowed to file as married even if their state is still discriminating.

The writing is on the wall folks, Equality is coming and discrimination is losing.

The fall of DOMA, the IRS ruling, all this anti-discriminate laws, ordinances and amendments to state constitutions are all stepping stones.

The best part like i said before is all those states that wen and banned equal rights are actually going to make it EASIER to get them now once they are challenged. Because its going to be that very banning that is found to be discrimination and a violation of equality. Oh the sweet irony.

a couple court cases in states when they try to discriminate against a couple in the hospital or when one dies out of state or has an accident and all of it is going to get over turned.

Finally Rybak does something useful....

Hey, if Chicago and Illinois are not willing to accommodate their gay communities, more power to the places that will.

I sure hope my state (NV) jumps on the bandwagon of gay marriage and legalized (recreational) pot. Bring us your dollars!!!!

This rings of all things good about America; Capitalism (recruiting business), Equality, Freedom and states rights (with Minnesota on the right side for its people, and Illinois still trying to decide what their people want).

My state, NC, is a predominately Democratic registered voter state; 2,766,425 (D) and 1,989,569 (R). Yet this state, without my help, voted to amend the state Constitution to define a legal marriage as only between one man and one woman, 61.04% to 38.96%, with a voter turnout of 2,157,980. This couldn't have happened without the overwhelming support of Black Christian Democrats.

I'm still ashamed.

This rings of all things good about America; Capitalism (recruiting business), Equality, Freedom and states rights (with Minnesota on the right side for its people, and Illinois still trying to decide what their people want).

My state, NC, is a predominately Democratic registered voter state; 2,766,425 (D) and 1,989,569 (R). Yet this state, without my help, voted to amend the state Constitution to define a legal marriage as only between one man and one woman, 61.04% to 38.96%, with a voter turnout of 2,157,980. This couldn't have happened without the overwhelming support of Black Christian Democrats.

I'm still ashamed.

I could be worse Perry "can you believe gays serve in the military" could be your gov.

I'm still ashamed.

dont worry that ban eventual is exactly what will lead to equality

From your lips to God's ears.

oh its coming, im now very proud that it will be in my lifetime for sure, i thought only my daughter would see it and not myself.

Let them go to Minneapolis then :shrug:

Let them go to Minneapolis then :shrug:

many will and then because of equality slow beating out discrimination they can return home and at least have SOME equal rights with the IRS ruling allowing them to file as husband and wife no matter where they are. Its awesome.

many will and then because of equality slow beating out discrimination they can return home and at least have SOME equal rights with the IRS ruling allowing them to file as husband and wife no matter where they are. Its awesome.

Let's hope equality in the form of people being allowed to actually vote and uphold their beliefs is upheld and respected, not discrimination and a trampling of rights because certain groups are so warped in their thinking that they believe their opposition has no legal right to vote on an issue and should be discriminated against and legally silenced.

Let's hope equality in the form of people being allowed to actually vote and uphold their beliefs is upheld and respected, not discrimination and a trampling of rights because certain groups are so warped in their thinking that they believe their opposition has no legal right to vote on an issue and should be discriminated against and legally silenced.

I vote that you don't have rights.

Because apparently voting on someone else's rights is ok.

I vote that you don't have rights.

I do, in my state we are given the freedom to vote and voice our opinions on traditional marriage. We aren't stamped out and silenced in the name of "equality."

1.)Let's hope equality in the form of people being allowed to actually vote and uphold their beliefs is upheld and respected
2.) not discrimination and a trampling of rights because certain groups are so warped in their thinking that they believe their opposition has no legal right to vote on an issue and should be discriminated against and legally silenced.

1.)sorry people dont get to vote to allow discrimination and violate equal rights and civil rights. yes i know you dont think gays should have equal rights or its an equal rights issue but thankfully thats not the way its turning out in court.
2.) see #1

people who are fighting for equal rights are not discrimination ans so far thats been the rulings so far when actually pushed to the higher courts.

Theres has only been found to be discrimination in one direction, against gay equal rights, and reality proves that also because currently only one group of people in the debate are being denied anything.

and if they win? NOTHING happens to the other group who doesnt want them to have equal rights, that group still gets to have the same rights they always had.

SOrry when this issue is pushed its being seen as equality vs discrimination and civil rights no different than women and minorities.

I am VERY happy that we are moving in that direction too.

I do, in my state we are given the freedom to vote and voice our opinions on traditional marriage. We aren't stamped out and silenced in the name of "equality."

Your state is wrong. What arrogance ever gave you the idea that you should be able to vote on someone else's marriage? I never got to vote on yours.

yep just like states that wanted to treat women, minorities and religions etc etc a certain way to, it failed and so is this.
again this is viewed as equality and civil rights as the cases have seen it so far so no, you don't get to vote to take away or deny rights of others. Maybe another country that views gays as lesser and doesnt want them to have equal rights will suit you better because change is coming on this equality front.

Your state is wrong. What arrogance ever gave you the idea that you should be able to vote on someone else's marriage? I never got to vote on yours.

yep its obnoxious to think anybody thinks they have that right as long as its CONSENTING adults why is it my business and how could i ever think i have the right to tell YOU who to merry, its disgraceful

You had a state (New Mexico) decree that a private business has no say in matters of principle. Call that state wrong - I dare you.

Or is selectively stripping rights more of a fringe-left thing?

yep just like NM sweeped in on the recent case of discrimination and protected the rights of its citizens.
there are rules, rights, and laws we ALL must play by and if you break the law you pay the prices,
ow admittedly some states are behind in there laws and thats fine things take time but we are riding ourselves of more and more discrimination and its a GREAT thing for this country. Its in our history and its something to be proud of.

You had a state (New Mexico) decree that a private business has no say in matters of principle. Call that state wrong - I dare you.

Or is selectively stripping rights more of a fringe-left thing?

Businesses don't have the same rights as individuals. It is not comparable. I am completely comfortable with stripping the right of a business to discriminate on the basis of religion, race, gender, or sexual orientation.

But what about you? Is it ok for a state to vote away someone's right to marry? Because apparently it's not ok for a state to make businesses serve customers without discrimination, according to you. So you're surely against states stripping the rights of someone else to marry?

not familiar with him, is he otherwise a tool?

He's useless. I mean yes, he's a tool, but...

Last time he was re-elected, he was running for governor before he even took the oath of office. It's all about him.

Yep, money in our pockets. A dollar from a gay is still a dollar.

then they get to go home and now and experience partial equal rights with the new IRS ruling.

Back
Top Bottom