• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Minneapolis cops leave security posts at Lynx game over shirts

This is known as the "Ferguson Effect", and it appears to be responsible for a spiking in crime, mostly against minority communities.

Fair enough.

I noted Baltimore because of the pretty dramatic effect police withholding of services had in the black communities of that city following the indictments of the 6 officers there in the Freddy Grey matter. If I'm not mistaken, murders skyrocketed there, pushing Baltimore into the lead of most dangerous cities in America, and other crime was also greatly increased. I distinctly remember the story of the elderly black man who was simply sitting on his porch enjoying a nice evening and he was gun downed for no reason.

This is what will happen in more and more black communities, and not just in America, if police become targets and politics trumps decency.

Fair enough.

I noted Baltimore because of the pretty dramatic effect police withholding of services had in the black communities of that city following the indictments of the 6 officers there in the Freddy Grey matter. If I'm not mistaken, murders skyrocketed there, pushing Baltimore into the lead of most dangerous cities in America, and other crime was also greatly increased. I distinctly remember the story of the elderly black man who was simply sitting on his porch enjoying a nice evening and he was gun downed for no reason.

This is what will happen in more and more black communities, and not just in America, if police become targets and politics trumps decency.

A lot of my governing philosophy can be boiled down to "Don't Eat Your Seed Corn".

Railing against the services you depend on, especially if they are costly to the provider to provide, strike me as childish and self-destructive.

A lot of my governing philosophy can be boiled down to "Don't Eat Your Seed Corn".

Railing against the services you depend on, especially if they are costly to the provider to provide, strike me as childish and self-destructive.

Never question government power. It's childish and self-destructive.

Seeking to push government out certainly is. There is a reason we institute that thing.

Minneapolis police leave security posts at Minnesota Lynx game over protest shirts

When members of the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx wore T-shirts with the message of seeking change following the deaths of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling, who were both fatally shot by police officers last week, they weren't the only group taking action Saturday.

It also named the group "Black Lives Matter" on the shirt. To me, that's a deal breaker. You are supporting a group that is teetering on being terrorists. Black lives don't matter to that group, so it's a waste of time to recognize them.

It's the WNBA. How many people could name five current players in it without the use of Google?

Seeking to push government out certainly is. There is a reason we institute that thing.

Seeking to push government out?

Wow, how did you come up with that one?

Dead cops in Dallas doesn't excuse murdered civilians. Asking for justice for dead civilians is not an insult to cops who weren't involved.

There was a freaking Dallas PD star on the shirts. Where the **** is the insult?

Who were the murdered civilians and who, besides you, have decided it was a murder. Those who prefer lynch mobs don't need or want justice, do they? I can understand why you wouldn't see the insult.

Uh. That was sarcasm, I hope. (Remember, Poe's Law.)

Being a security guard is "tacit approval" of every article of clothing in the building?

The star shows solidarity with DPD.

Only a fool would consider t-shirts worn by the members of the team as somehow equating to every article of clothing in the building.

The t-shirts did not show solidarity with the city, the police, or the population at large.

Seeking to push government out?

Wow, how did you come up with that one?

I applied what was actually occurring. You appear to be involved in a strawman about never questioning government authority, which is not, actually, the same thing as making it difficult and dangerous for people to protect you.

They aren't teetering on terrorist.
Stop being hyperbolic, it ruins any legitimate criticism.

They're just being giant assholes.

There are numerous cases of BLM turning to violence to make a political point. That is actual terrorism, not "teetering".

Violence doesn't equal terrorism.
You don't have to condemn them and get all hyperbolic.

Violence to push a political agenda is the definition of terrorism.

ter·ror·ism
ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
noun: terrorism

the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

enhanced-32005-1422840611-40.jpg

There are numerous cases of BLM turning to violence to make a political point. That is actual terrorism, not "teetering".

On the other hand, these guys were awesome:

11018131_733248687839_542403459678708605_n.jpg

11019842_733244012209_5852254542133038079_n.jpg

Violence to push a political agenda is the definition of terrorism.

ter·ror·ism
ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
noun: terrorism

the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

enhanced-32005-1422840611-40.jpg

I don't necessarily think that's the groups intended policy.
With that said, they really aren't doing anything to curtail it either.

I don't necessarily think that's the groups intended policy.
With that said, they really aren't doing anything to curtail it either.

They throw bricks, steel pipes and Molotov cocktails at the police, they raid college libraries and scream at the patrons, numerous members cheer the death of police officers, and that isn't even counting the guy in Dallas. If they don't want to be seen as "teetering on the edge of terrorism" then they should stop using terrorist tactics.

They throw bricks, steel pipes and Molotov cocktails at the police, they raid college libraries and scream at the patrons, numerous members cheer the death of police officers, and that isn't even counting the guy in Dallas. If they don't want to be seen as "teetering on the edge of terrorism" then they should stop using terrorist tactics.

I'm not ready to make that assessment yet.
I think they're often being unlawful and uncivil, many times not for any agenda, but just to do so.

Minneapolis police leave security posts at Minnesota Lynx game over protest shirts

When members of the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx wore T-shirts with the message of seeking change following the deaths of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling, who were both fatally shot by police officers last week, they weren't the only group taking action Saturday.

It also named the group "Black Lives Matter" on the shirt. To me, that's a deal breaker. You are supporting a group that is teetering on being terrorists. Black lives don't matter to that group, so it's a waste of time to recognize them.

I didn't see a problem with the shirts. As has been pointed out, they included an image of the Dallas PD and on the front is the message, 'Change Starts with US."

And it's nonsense to say black lives don't matter to blacks. Of course they do.

Police sign up for off-duty jobs to work Lynx games, Kroll said. “They can start or stop a job whenever they want,” he said. “They are working on an independent contract.”

Asked about a report that seven or eight officers had walked off the job, Kroll said, “They only have four officers working the event because the Lynx have such a pathetic draw.”
Mpls. officers working Lynx game walk out over T-shirts, player comments - StarTribune.com

I am not sure that I would walk off the job, but I for sure would never sign up for the job for at least a year.

I'm not ready to make that assessment yet.
I think they're often being unlawful and uncivil, many times not for any agenda, but just to do so.

It is up to the leadership of BLM to denounce all violence, to distance themselves from those that instigate riots, out the trouble makers if needed, to ensure peaceful demonstrations.
They cannot be seen as unclear on this.

It is up to the leadership of BLM to denounce all violence, to distance themselves from those that instigate riots, out the trouble makers if needed, to ensure peaceful demonstrations.
They cannot be seen as unclear on this.

If they have not figured this out a couple of years in (and they have not) they are unlikely to develop the needed bandwidth to do so now.

Bright this brain trust is not.

Just saying...

If they have not figured this out a couple of years in they are unlikely to develop the needed bandwidth to do so.

Just saying...
For the most part I believe they have. Also condemning all members of BLM as Racist, does nothing but add fuel to the fire.
Many are peaceful law abiding citizens.

Back
Top Bottom