• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Minn. cop fatally shoots black man during traffic stop, aftermath broadcast on Facebo

Re: Philando Castile Shot Dead in Minnesota Traffic Stop

Philando Castile, an African-American male was shot dead in the presence of his girlfriend during a traffic stop on Wednesday evening. The girlfriend recorded the moments after the shooting on her cellphone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...traffic-stop-aftermath-broadcast-on-facebook/

Gonna wait for all the information this is not all the information, it's a highly emotional one side of the event. (BTW I had to read other sources as the WashPo has a paywall)

“It’s okay, Mommy,” the little girl says, as her mother sobs. “It’s okay. I’m right here with you.”

Heartbreaking.

So glad our police here in the UK don't carry weapons and have training - they also have to have authorisation to use force.

I said this on another thread last year - a routine traffic stop should not end in the death of anyone.

The video is cool for propaganda. Saw it earlier. What we need to see are the head cam vids the cops made.

The cops in that state don't have body cameras. The best they'd have are their dash cams.

Gonna wait for all the information this is not all the information, it's a highly emotional one side of the event. (BTW I had to read other sources as the WashPo has a paywall)

It's only a paywall when you've viewed their site X (not sure how many) amount of times in a months time.

In the video the officer is obviously distressed. I think he's was more shocked than the woman was at it. The woman actually stayed surprisingly calm considering her boyfriend just got shot. Most partners wouldn't have such control, I know I probably wouldn't. I commend her on that. The police chief said that there hadn't been an officer involved shooting in that area for around 30 years.

Beyond that I think I'm going to withhold my ultimate opinion. But my heart DOES go out to the woman, her child, and the cop just based on what I know at this point in time. My current feeling is that this was more than likely a complete accident. IE: Unintentional shooting. I would like to know why the cop had his gun out in the first place though. That to me may make a huge difference.

It's only a paywall when you've viewed their site X (not sure how many) amount of times in a months time.

In the video the officer is obviously distressed. I think he's was more shocked than the woman was at it. The woman actually stayed surprisingly calm considering her boyfriend just got shot. Most partners wouldn't have such control, I know I probably wouldn't. I commend her on that. The police chief said that there hadn't been an officer involved shooting in that area for around 30 years.

Beyond that I think I'm going to withhold my ultimate opinion. But my heart DOES go out to the woman, her child, and the cop just based on what I know at this point in time. My current feeling is that this was more than likely a complete accident. IE: Unintentional shooting. I would like to know why the cop had his gun out in the first place though. That to me may make a huge difference.

Firing four rounds is not likely to be accepted as being by accident.

Heartbreaking.

So glad our police here in the UK don't carry weapons and have training - they also have to have authorisation to use force.

I said this on another thread last year - a routine traffic stop should not end in the death of anyone.

And yet routine traffic stops end in the death of both officers AND civilians. Our officers deserve as much protection as the civilians. Their lives are just as valuable. They have families just the same. Add in that it is an undervalued and much hated profession...simply because they enforce the rules out society has established.

Now. That doesn't mean there aren't bad cops. It just means that disarming police is not the answer to the problem. It is about training. It is about having partners. Proper pay and encouraging the RIGHT kind of applicants. I would even go so far as to say we should have a legitimate college degree on law enforcement that is not just "criminology," but is in all aspects of the job. But that wil never happen.

Yea. This is sad. I am waiting for more info. I wonder what info we will get?

what did he think would happen when he attacked the cop? parents clearly did not raise him correctly; forgot the lesson on consequences.

Sure it's sad, any shooting is, but this is another case where you have to ask yourself, had this been a black officer that shot a white driver, would it have made the news?

Of course not.

Firing four rounds is not likely to be accepted as being by accident.

I musta missed the part where it said 4 rounds.

Just to note: I don't necessarily mean that the cop didn't MEAN to shoot, just that in the heat of the moment he shot without thinking. If it does turn out that way I'd easily support a charge of involuntary manslaughter 2nd or 1st degree if that particular state has such for manslaughter charges. But we still need more info at this stage.

what did he think would happen when he attacked the cop? parents clearly did not raise him correctly; forgot the lesson on consequences.

There is no evidence that he attacked the cop. Let's try to keep such rhetoric to a minimum shall we?

Hard working young man

Concealed carry permit......obviously a law abiding citizen.

Jumpy cop kills him out of fear.

Excuse me sir, would you please point the gun down at least temporarily. I have to call in and get permission to attack you with my night stick.

Excuse me sir, would you please point the gun down at least temporarily. I have to call in and get permission to attack you with my night stick.

That post is complete BS. Get a grip. There are a lot of bad cops, and some bad Police Departments. Good cops are a boon to a Community, but it seems like an unusually large number of nut cases are getting Police jobs, and then the Blue Wall defends them.

The cops in that state don't have body cameras. The best they'd have are their dash cams.

That's no good. It's better than nothing, but won't substantiate the facts unless the car is pointing in the right direction. The cop should be in doubt, where he doesn't secure proof.

That post is complete BS. Get a grip. There are a lot of bad cops, and some bad Police Departments. Good cops are a boon to a Community, but it seems like an unusually large number of nut cases are getting Police jobs, and then the Blue Wall defends them.

You missed the entire meaning of my post. I was jesting about English police not carrying guns.

I musta missed the part where it said 4 rounds.

Just to note: I don't necessarily mean that the cop didn't MEAN to shoot, just that in the heat of the moment he shot without thinking. If it does turn out that way I'd easily support a charge of involuntary manslaughter 2nd or 1st degree if that particular state has such for manslaughter charges. But we still need more info at this stage.

I imagine that it will be quite some time before the officer and his team of lawyers formulate a defense plan and issue a public statement on this matter. There should be no "heat of the moment" simply because a citizen stopped for some vehicle safety equipment defect (broken tail light?) says that they are legally armed. Consider how ridiculous it would sound if an armed citizen said that they shot a police officer four times because they allegedly moved after being asked (told?) not to do so.

Appears to be a case where the officer responded out of fear, but no indication he responded out of racial hatred or bias. Should only make a difference in the sentencing.This one there isnt much of a question.

Re: Minn. cop fatally shoots black man during traffic stop, aftermath broadcast on Fa

Police.jpg

Re: Minn. cop fatally shoots black man during traffic stop, aftermath broadcast on Fa

Philando Castile, an African-American male was shot dead in the presence of his girlfriend during a traffic stop on Wednesday evening. The girlfriend recorded the moments after the shooting on her cellphone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...traffic-stop-aftermath-broadcast-on-facebook/

:lamo Her boyfriend was just shot and killed and the first thing she thinks to do is hop on her cellphone and record it. Oh holy hell our society is DOOMED.

Hard working young man

That is my take so far - the officer was freaked out that a mere citizen dared to be armed in public. The official story will likely be that "he moved" after he told me that he was armed. If moving while armed is a criminal act (threat of violence?) then the 2A is simply a joke.

Hard working young man

No matter who the black man is, there will always be apologists ready to come out and excuse it as 'accidents' or calling them thugs. Their sheets become evident when they are forced to analyze a situation where they can't sniff through a person's criminal record and blame their killing on that.

attacked the cop? are you kidding? you totally pulled that comment out of your proverbial.

Back
Top Bottom