• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds over

Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

Didn't this already happen in Minnesota like six years ago?

http://www.ombwatch.org/node/2491

Last edited:
Re: Minn. braces for shutdown at midnight; Democratic gov and GOP lawmakers at odds o

Yes. And?

From the OP link.
"Dayton and the Republican-led legislature have been far apart in their public positions over a two-year budget plan to close a $5 billion deficit. Only the agricultural budget was approved during the legislative session that ended in May.

Dayton's first budget proposal included an income tax increase on the wealthiest state residents and an expansion in overall spending. Republican leaders first sought some tax cutbacks in aiming to halt spending increases."

Personally, this demostrates that all the elected officials are incompant in the job of managing the State. Budget deadlines are known, they fail to complete the job. What is alarming to me is the (bold) $5B in the hole the State is in, and while wanting to raise taxes the Gov also wants to raise spending? Anyone explain how that will get rid of the $5B and have a balenced budget? If it will, didn't know the State had that many wealthy.

Last edited:

I am fine with a compromise as long as it ends public sector unions, raises now taxes and puts in significant cuts in government spending.

So your not ok with the GOP compromising at all... but your still for compromising. :lol:

5 billion dollar deficit. The need to cut taxes and regulations if they want to grow themselves out of this.

Exactly which regulations?

Yes. And?

Well, can you name me another state that's had two government shutdowns in that time frame?

It's interesting.

And they already pay tons more taxes than anyone else. They likely pay for what you use.

I seriously doubt that, considering how little I use (I don't drive and even when I have money I tend to live pretty simply and I've never used any public programs), and considering how small the percentage of people who are wealthy is, and the fact that on average all-inclusive there is little difference proportionally between what they pay and what I pay.

Can you explain the moral premise behind you having a greater claim to the wealth they generate through their efforts than they do?
Because it seems very clear that you are exactly like all of the other greedy, envious people, who cannot wait for someone else to work as a slave to the state.

How do people become so twisted and so evil?

This post is just hyperpartisan and emotional bull****. You're simply saying liberals are envious because they want to raise taxes, and they want to raise taxes to pay off the deficit. They don't hate the rich. I honestly don't see any evidence that liberals hate the ****ing rich. In fact, a lot of liberals have money. Go to Portland. Go to the Upper East Side of NYC. Obama, the Clinton's, Kerry, the Kennedy's, Hollywood, etc. etc. McCain used to refer to them as elitist, now you're calling them envious.. Get the partisan attacks straightened out.

This post is just hyperpartisan and emotional bull****. You're simply saying liberals are envious because they want to raise taxes, and they want to raise taxes to pay off the deficit. They don't hate the rich. I honestly don't see any evidence that liberals hate the ****ing rich. In fact, a lot of liberals have money. Go to Portland. Go to the Upper East Side of NYC. Obama, the Clinton's, Kerry, the Kennedy's, Hollywood, etc. etc. McCain used to refer to them as elitist, now you're calling them envious.. Get the partisan attacks straightened out.

Hate to break it to you, but most of this thread is hyperpartisan and emotional bull****. :shrug:

Sounds good to me. The democrats own it. We have to clean it up. A very good way to do so is to destroy the power of the public sector unions all over the nation. Union thugs should have no role to play in government. Let us only hope enough people realize the destructive nature of the unions and the democrats combined against the American taxpayer and the nation as a whole.

I hope this right response to the union minion and thug combining with democrats in government will be nationwide. If we succeed the nation will remain free.

If you on the far right "succeed" - if that is the label you place on destroying America for the majority - you will only sow the seeds of your own destruction. But, that seems to be the environment some right wingers want to create and are more than willing to take the risk.

The Republicans would not accept anything but a 100% spending cuts budget. They were the ones who would not compromise.
That's not exactly true. They offered proposals for fee based services and other means of collecting revenue other than raising taxes. No, they don't want to compromise on raising taxes. That's why they were elected. That's what they campaigned on.

That's not exactly true. They offered proposals for fee based services and other means of collecting revenue other than raising taxes. No, they don't want to compromise on raising taxes. That's why they were elected. That's what they campaigned on.

Bam! baby! OOO yeah BAM!

Well no. Government workers did not create wealth. They took wealth from others to create a few things of value. That wealth was created by others. Not by government workers.

I am delighted to see that the government took the wealth that others created and used some of it to purchase a few things of value. What about the rest?

This is where most liberals just get it wrong and always will. Government, sometimes takes the wealth that others have created, and uses it to purchase the things that support its constitutional role. But more often than not government uses the wealth of others to grow...government.

I know your understanding of economics doesn't come from textbooks or formal studies... But where the hell does it come from, seriously, I want to know. Is it from political commentators on Hannity, talk radio, something else? Do you read books?

The government does not confiscate wealth from private sector workers, the government creates a lot of wealth and a lot of value that the free market and private sector workers benefit from. How valuable were coal resources before railroads and before governments heavily invested in them? Imagine if America didn't enter WWII, do you think uranium production would have been a profitable adventure before the fuel crisis? If modern war production didn't demand steel, engineering, and iron ore then that would mean less demand for such natural and human resources... which would mean those resources would be less valuable and owning such resources would mean you'd be less wealthy. The government does create wealth... even in a truly Communist economy the government would create wealth, but it would be done through control and production quotas. It would tell the people how much production was worth and set prices through manipulation. Government trying to control wealth and value will never work, but the government does create wealth. I don't see why in theory, any form of government would be incapable of creating wealth. In fact if you read Locke, he says the same thing.

Last edited:

Hate to break it to you, but most of this thread is hyperpartisan and emotional bull****. :shrug:

Thanks for bring me back to reality Jeezy...

Bam! baby! OOO yeah BAM!

How much time did you spend practicing being straight today?

GOP's "let's strangle the schools to death and borrow more money" vs. Dayton's "maybe a couple thousand of the richest people in the state could spare a few more pennies?"

This is what it really came down to. This was what the stalemate was over.

Absolutely sickening.

And Councilman, way to offer yet another short-term solution with serious long-term consequences due an inability to see any further into the future than next election season. Ideas like that are why we're ****ed in the first place. As a matter of fact, THAT idea in particular is one of the reasons we're ****ed.

Im all for wiping any and all State unions out. They are making too much money. Im ALSO for wiping out any and all tax breaks for the top 25% wealthiest citizens and actually increasing their taxes.

Here.... just watch this guy: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43608137/ns/politics-more_politics/

Last edited:

How much time did you spend practicing being straight today?

I was quoting Jack Lemmon's character in Mister Roberts .

How much thought did you give to that reply?

I was quoting Jack Lemmon's character in Mister Roberts .

How much thought did you give to that reply?

LOL... I was just joking with you in general cause you're always posting in the sexuality debate threads

I've always been of the belief, as long as the boat's rocking capsize the son of a gun and let's see who can swim.

In the boats I've been in it's the ones rocking the boat that can swim. I've done it when I want to drown or rescue the others or just hear them cry.

LOL... I was just joking with you in general cause you're always posting in the sexuality debate threads

Oh. That.

My psychoanalyst tells me I need to argue against my natural beliefs in order to make me less rigid in my outlook.

Do you have any idea what infrastructure alone costs? No private entity is willing to take that on, nor should they - they'd do a terrible job. That's why government always does it, no matter where you go.
Huh? The government always does it? LOL - this has NEVER been the case and certainly isn't the case now. The vast majority of critical infrastructure in this country is actually **privately** owned and operated... refineries, power plants, telecommunications, rail lines...

Huh? The government always does it? LOL - this has NEVER been the case and certainly isn't the case now. The vast majority of critical infrastructure in this country is actually **privately** owned and operated... refineries, power plants, telecommunications, rail lines...

I thought infrastructures were highways.

MistressNomad;1059612413]Me? Has nothing to do with me. Has to do with the fact that we pay taxes because we are collectively purchasing things we use, like infrastructure. The rich use a lot more of that than the poor. How do you think people get rich? They have to have access to resources, ways to get around this huge country, an infrastructure for carrying their ads, etc. They use more of that stuff. A lot more. It is not unreasonable to ask them to pay a bit more.

You're being beyond paranoid and your assertion is ridiculous. I sure as hell don't want your money, if it will turn me into someone like you. But pay for what you use.
But you have the same access to these things as the rich do, so isn't it more to the point that you pull your weight just as the rich do ? Or do you feel that because someone settles for a smaller income and uses the things that government has placed for all people to use, has less responsibility for having such infrastructure in place ?? I guess then you feel that those people without children shouldn't have to pay any school taxes right .. because they don't use that resource. Or that only families of people that are in jail should have to pay for the jails … because those that never get arrested don't use those resources do they ? Those that do well for themselves should be able to demand that none of their money be used for welfare .. because they will never use it. I could go on and on .. but what is the use .. the simple fact is liberals just believe they are entitled

Last edited:

Imagine if America didn't enter WWII, do you think uranium production would have been a profitable adventure before the fuel crisis? If modern war production didn't demand steel, engineering, and iron ore then that would mean less demand for such natural and human resources... which would mean those resources would be less valuable and owning such resources would mean you'd be less wealthy.
These seem like good examples of ways in which government DOESN'T create wealth. Isn't this just taking money from a bunch of people (taxpayers) and handing it to a smaller number of people (companies that extract raw resources)? To that end, it helps to secure an environment where wealth creation can take place, but doesn't itself create wealth.

But you have the same access to these things as the rich do, so isn't it more to the point that you pull your weight just as the rich do ? Or do you feel that because someone settles for a smaller income and uses the things that government has placed for all people to use, has less responsibility for having such infrastructure in place ?? I guess then you feel that those people without children shouldn't have to pay any school taxes right .. because they don't use that resource. Or that only families of people that are in jail should have to pay for the jails … because those that never get arrested don't use those resources do they ? Those that do well for themselves should be able to demand that none of their money be used for welfare .. because they will never use it. I could go on and on .. but what is the use .. the simple fact is liberals just believe they are entitled

Huh?

I pay my taxes like anyone else. I actually pay more taxes in the US than I did in NZ, a country which has public health care. And I use a pretty small amount considering my lifestyle. I would say I certainly pay for more than what I use. And like I said, that's ok with me. I've never said I have less responsibility. I don't know where that's coming from.

I am what I would call militantly childfree. And I have no problem at all paying taxes for public education. Just because I don't have, and never will have any kids doesn't mean I think it's ok to screw kids in general.

What the hell are you talking about?

Back
Top Bottom