• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

minimum wage

memberya2

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I dont understand why some people are against raising the minimum wage do you support keeping it at 7 dollars a hour
for the next 50 years? by the time its raised that 7 dollars wont be worth much anyway people argue that raising it causes
inflation but inflation always goes up regardless prices went up in states where they didnt raise the wage even if we didnt
raise the wage at all prices would still go up.

Thats what they always told us was that it would cause inflation but we already got that
im in a state where the minimum wage is 7 dollars a hour but prices are still going up.

So why not raise wages so people can afford the higher prices?

As prices get higher and higher how can we continue to keep it a 7 dollars a hour
that 7 is gonna be worth 2 if we dont raise it.

Other countrys raise wages and adjust it for inflation thats the common sense thing to do
raise the wage because of inflation itself.

People said it would be bad to raise the minimum wage during covid but its always some excuse
just like people said that they were against the american rescue plan because it had "bad things" in it
they just dont wanna do anything.

Whats wrong if a billion dollar company pays its workers 1 cent more?
if your against that at this point your just defending the rich.

People talk as if we want a million dollar wage but no were just asking for a fair wage
some people make 2 dollars a hour thats the tipped wage 2 dollars and 13 cents
but if we dare ask for more they call us greedy or lazy but its the rich who are greedy
people like kevin oleery stole millions from ppp then turns around and calls the rest of us bad.

Gas companys made a extra 9 billion dollars as they do good while the rest of us struggle
isnt that a reason to raise the wage?

How long are we gonna wait to raise it are we gonna wait until that 7 dollars is worth 1 dollar?

People will say "but some states raised it" yea some states did but federally its 7 and not every
state raised it.

Many states have raised their (state’s) MW. What is often ignored is the very small (2.5%?) percentage of the workforce being paid the MW.

If you raised the MW by 100% (say from $7.50/hour to $15/hour) then how much of a raise (either by percentage or $/hour) should worker now making $10/hour or $15/hour get?

I dont understand why some people are against raising the minimum wage do you support keeping it at 7 dollars a hour
for the next 50 years? by the time its raised that 7 dollars wont be worth much anyway people argue that raising it causes
inflation but inflation always goes up regardless prices went up in states where they didnt raise the wage even if we didnt
raise the wage at all prices would still go up.

Thats what they always told us was that it would cause inflation but we already got that
im in a state where the minimum wage is 7 dollars a hour but prices are still going up.

So why not raise wages so people can afford the higher prices?

As prices get higher and higher how can we continue to keep it a 7 dollars a hour
that 7 is gonna be worth 2 if we dont raise it.

Other countrys raise wages and adjust it for inflation thats the common sense thing to do
raise the wage because of inflation itself.

People said it would be bad to raise the minimum wage during covid but its always some excuse
just like people said that they were against the american rescue plan because it had "bad things" in it
they just dont wanna do anything.

Whats wrong if a billion dollar company pays its workers 1 cent more?
if your against that at this point your just defending the rich.

People talk as if we want a million dollar wage but no were just asking for a fair wage
some people make 2 dollars a hour thats the tipped wage 2 dollars and 13 cents
but if we dare ask for more they call us greedy or lazy but its the rich who are greedy
people like kevin oleery stole millions from ppp then turns around and calls the rest of us bad.

Gas companys made a extra 9 billion dollars as they do good while the rest of us struggle
isnt that a reason to raise the wage?

How long are we gonna wait to raise it are we gonna wait until that 7 dollars is worth 1 dollar?

People will say "but some states raised it" yea some states did but federally its 7 and not every
state raised it.
Back in the 1700s $2 per hr was a good salary.

If your in a state where its 15, then thats good i would argue thats alot better
but a state where its just 7 i think thats just not right atleast if more places
paid 15 it would help.

In a way that 15 dollars still isnt good in regards to how much the dollar is being devalued
but i would rather people are paid that than 7 any day.

If your already making 15 im not arguing to raise it even more i mean i support it but
this is just mainly about the people making 7 but if the wage was raised years ago
it would be 24 dollars a hour.

Back in the 1700s $2 per hr was a good salary.
Yea and so this is a different time these corporations have been paying low wages for awhile
without being forced to raise it by congress why do they get to complain about having to pay more.

i mean i understand if its a small business where it might be a little hard to pay more, but in the
long run it will help the business it will lower the employee turn over rate and people will
have more money to spend in those small businesses, and a billion dollar company like wal mart
they have no excuse to not raise the wage they can afford it.

I know that wal marts been raising it for awhile but these other big businesses still dont wanna
do it like the ceo of apple bees says that hes happy about high gas prices because he can pay his workers less.

And what are these companys gonna do when they have no employees to work for them
because no one wanted to get hired at a place that paid low?

Thats awesome that 2 dollars was good in the 1700s if only it was like that now
that sounds wonderful haha. back then a couple cents could buy you a steak dinner.

Watching that andy griffith show is a trip where they talk about 10 cents like its 50 bucks.

Yea and so this is a different time these corporations have been paying low wages for awhile
without being forced to raise it by congress why do they get to complain about having to pay more.

i mean i understand if its a small business where it might be a little hard to pay more, but in the
long run it will help the business it will lower the employee turn over rate and people will
have more money to spend in those small businesses, and a billion dollar company like wal mart
they have no excuse to not raise the wage they can afford it.

I know that wal marts been raising it for awhile but these other big businesses still dont wanna
do it like the ceo of apple bees says that hes happy about high gas prices because he can pay his workers less.

And what are these companys gonna do when they have no employees to work for them
because no one wanted to get hired at a place that paid low?
There is a sweet spot in this debate. The problem with raising peoples wages is that corporations raise their prices however much the market will tolerate and everyone ends up back where they started. The people who lose in this vicious cycle is retirees living off of savings.

The minimum wage is $13/hr here in NJ - and you rarely see anyone even paying that low. Heck, the average going price for a babysitter is $20-25/hr.

Dont they just raise the prices for just awhile after the wage increase and it goes back down?
But yea they dont have to raise the prices no ones forcing them to do that they could just
keep it the same i dont know why they feel forced to raise the price but the prices are already
going up anyway.

At this point its just price gouging how much will they raise the price whats the justification
they say "we gotta raise it because of inflation and wage increases" they dont have to raise it
its their choice if they wanna argue that inflation forces them to raise prices because it costs
the company more well they are making record breaking profits so it wouldnt even cut into
their profits if they just kept it the same instead of raising the price.

The minimum wage is $13/hr here in NJ - and you rarely see anyone even paying that low. Heck, the average going price for a babysitter is $20-25/hr.

Yep, and that babysitter is very likely getting paid in tax free cash.

Minimum wage is pointless if you don’t also cap a maximum wage, and the maximum wage cap would be the most effective way to achieve a livable wage. You want to pay your lowest level employe 7.25/hr ok fine that’s little more 15k a year, so the highest paid employee can only make 10 times that so cap it 150k a year. Thats a lot of stock options and perks missed out on at the top. Any money made above the wage limit gets taxed at ridiculously high rates.

There is a sweet spot in this debate. The problem with raising peoples wages is that corporations raise their prices however much the market will tolerate and everyone ends up back where they started. The people who lose in this vicious cycle is retirees living off of savings.
When do corporations include wages in pricing. They already price their goods at the maximum level they feel the market will bear, wages have nothing to do with it.

for the next 50 years?

Because congress can only legislate prices, they cannot legislate value.

If they pass a law stating that no one may work for less than $15 per hour, then all those whose labor isn't worth $15 per hour cannot legally work, because no employer is going to pay $15 for something that is only worth $10. You wouldn't either.

Minimum wage is pointless if you don’t also cap a maximum wage, and the maximum wage cap would be the most effective way to achieve a livable wage. You want to pay your lowest level employe 7.25/hr ok fine that’s little more 15k a year, so the highest paid employee can only make 10 times that so cap it 150k a year. Thats a lot of stock options and perks missed out on at the top. Any money made above the wage limit gets taxed at ridiculously high rates.

That’s ridiculous. Setting a maximum wage of $72.50/hour would never work.

When do corporations include wages in pricing. They already price their goods at the maximum level they feel the market will bear, wages have nothing to do with it.
Competition drives costs down while demand drives costs up. Profit margins are determined by production/distribution costs and quantity sold. Bulk stores compete by keeping operating costs down as an example.

Adjusted for CPI inflation that would be about $12.37/hour now.

Yep... It's a tough issue... Because of the difference in prices from state to state.. Hell even within states it widely varies..

Here in NY downstate rents are easily $2000+...nyc $4000+..

Upstate a nice place is +1000 or so...

Couldn't get a place downstate for $1000 if it was on fire...

That’s ridiculous. Setting a maximum wage of $72.50/hour would never work.
Then I guess you’ll need to raise minimum wage and pay your lowest employee more if ypu want more in your pocket.

$150K won't even get you a good software developer in 2022. LOL.

Then I guess you’ll need to raise minimum wage and pay your lowest employee more if ypu want more in your pocket.

That makes no sense at all. MW does not vary by employer.

No Shit. That’s why it would require a change.
One that will never happen.

Why would you advocate for a maximum salary of 150K for anyone? That's just silly. $150K isn't even "wealthy" let alone rich.

Competition drives costs down while demand drives costs up. Profit margins are determined by production/distribution costs and quantity sold. Bulk stores compete by keeping operating costs down as an example.
And what does any of that have to do with wages? Profit margins are a measurement that is important in some areas, but profit is what you are talking about. Profit is equal to total revenue minus total expenses. So if you are arguing that profits are impacted by what the company pays their employees I agree. If you are claiming consumers wages have anything to do with profit, you are wrong.

Back
Top Bottom