• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Minimum Wage BS

Brooks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Any wage should be based on an equation of the importance of the job vs. how many people are available to do it, period. To do otherwise hurts business.

The new clarion call is that if someone is willing to work full time he should make a "dignified wage" and be able to support himself. Some even say support a family.
Fine. Obamacare has declared 30 hours per week to be full time. That's less than 4.5 hours per day.

What would someone need to be paid per hour to support himself by working 4.5 hours per day?

Any wage should be based on an equation of the importance of the job vs. how many people are available to do it, period. To do otherwise hurts business.

The new clarion call is that if someone is willing to work full time he should make a "dignified wage" and be able to support himself. Some even say support a family.
Fine. Obamacare has declared 30 hours per week to be full time. That's less than 4.5 hours per day.

What would someone need to be paid per hour to support himself by working 4.5 hours per day?

Your math skills are a little off, a 30 hour work week would be 6 hours a day given the 5 day work week.

Transaltion:

I cannot add I saw this on either Faux news or Bart, and to make it look worse they drummed up 4.5 when i is 6 hours and I know look like a fool.

Transaltion:

I cannot add I saw this on either Faux news or Bart, and to make it look worse they drummed up 4.5 when i is 6 hours and I know look like a fool.

My advice to you is that when an uncomfortable fact is brought to your attention, in this case the fact that Obamacare is turning a significant portion of our country into part time workers, the first thing you should do is attack the speaker. It makes you feel smart and superior even though your response is nothing but a cheap shot.

Your math skills are a little off, a 30 hour work week would be 6 hours a day given the 5 day work week.

I based in on 7 days. I didn't want to exhaust my hypothetical worker.
Your math skills could have easily indicated to you that I meant 7.

Transaltion:

Oy, since you apparently want to bypass the point of the original post, I'll join you in this waste of time.

If I saw the numbers 4.5 and thirty I would instantly realize that it was based on a 7 day work week. Either you didn't, which is sad, or you did and want to avoid the topic.

Either way......

Oy, since you apparently want to bypass the point of the original post, I'll join you in this waste of time.

If I saw the numbers 4.5 and thirty I would instantly realize that it was based on a 7 day work week. Either you didn't, which is sad, or you did and want to avoid the topic.

Either way......

She SAID she looked like a fool. What do you want? A sword dive?

No actually it was a transaltion for Brooks looking like a complete robot. However, I guess that is pretty much what Republicans want 7 day wok weeks no wage regulation, hell bring the sweat shops, and child labor abuse back!

Because 7 day work weeks are the norm.

Transaltion:

Actually, in order to know that 30 hours a week accounts for less than 4.5 hours per day, you'd need to know how to do division.

I based in on 7 days. I didn't want to exhaust my hypothetical worker.
Your math skills could have easily indicated to you that I meant 7.

Yeah, because we are going to have a worker going 7 days a week, with no days off. :roll: Are you kidding me with this BS. You tried to overexaggerate and got called on it. Deal with it.

1. She SAID she looked like a fool.

2. What do you want? A sword dive?
1. She said it in her "translation" of my paragraph. "Fool" was said about me.

2. No, why?

No actually it was a transaltion for Brooks looking like a complete robot. However, I guess that is pretty much what Republicans want 7 day wok weeks no wage regulation, hell bring the sweat shops, and child labor abuse back!
I refer you to my red signature line.

Yeah, because we are going to have a worker going 7 days a week, with no days off. :roll: Are you kidding me with this BS. You tried to overexaggerate and got called on it. Deal with it.
Can you distinguish between exaggerate and overexaggerate so I don't do it again.

OK, have it your way:
What does a worker have to make per hour in order to support a family on 6 hours of work per day (with weekends off).
Now you are free to answer the question.

Can you distinguish between exaggerate and overexaggerate so I don't do it again.

OK, have it your way:
What does a worker have to make per hour in order to support a family on 6 hours of work per day (with weekends off).
Now you are free to answer the question.

That depends on household size, zip code and many other factors for the "living wage" crowd. IMHO, that is the wrong question. What should be asked is how much education, job skill, savings and income potential should one have to start a family that they intend to support. ;)

Because 7 day work weeks are the norm.

I think poor Brooks has exposed his real tea party agenda: he wants to bring back the 7 day work week with no minimum wage. Probably wants child labor too.

Any wage should be based on an equation of the importance of the job vs. how many people are available to do it, period. To do otherwise hurts business.?

Is that why CEOs walk away with millions in severance pay when they run a company into bankruptcy?

Leaving aside your tendentious and frankly silly definition of what should determine wages (it clearly doesn't apply to the rich), why are you against putting more money into the hands of hard working Americans? Go into detail why you want them to make even less money.

Waaah! The OP can't count, so that means everything else is invalid!

Waaah! Tea Party!

Waaah! Child Labor!

Geez, the trolls are thick in this thread.

I agree. Dime-a-dozen jobs should be paid dime-a-dozen wages.

Don't like it? Work more dime-a-dozen jobs if you're an unskilled oaf, or get you some skills to get out of dime-a-dozen jobs.

Or work at a burger place that offers a incredable wage of 15 dollars an hour.

Radical Fast Food Joint Doubles Down on High Wages - The Daily Beast

If they want to do that, then good on them. A business should have the freedom to do so. However, they shouldn't be extorted into doing so, just because the unskilled cretins don't like being paid like unskilled cretins.

Also...after reading the article, it sounds like the owners are expecting value out of that wage. What's going to happen when John Q. Ignoramus gets fired for incompetence? Is he gonna be a man and accept that he was a liability to the organization, or is he gonna whine to the media, picket in front of the store, or cry to Mommy Government to punish them?

Last edited:
That depends on household size, zip code and many other factors for the "living wage" crowd. IMHO, that is the wrong question. What should be asked is how much education, job skill, savings and income potential should one have to start a family that they intend to support. ;)
Your're right, and summed up exactly why an overall minimum wage, especially an overly generous one, is unmanageable

But you won't get far inserting common sense into a minimum wage discussion which is why nobody in Washington does.

No you did that yourself, I cannot help the fact you thought you found a pot of gold, but instead found scrap metal!
Umm, okay.

Any comments about the topic of the thread?

I think poor Brooks has exposed his real tea party agenda: he wants to bring back the 7 day work week with no minimum wage. Probably wants child labor too.
Because I feel there are economic problems with a forced minimum wage?

I refer you to my red signature line (twice in the same thread - a very rare occurrence).

Any comments on the actual thread topic?

Back
Top Bottom