• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Miners found alive.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
The missing miners have been found alive, more as it develops.

I'm glad to see that the corruption of the greed based corporation which sent them into that hell-hole without oversight or scrupulous provision did not kill them.

Thank god they are still alive.

That's deffinitely a relief... I was getting worried when they found the one body and none of the others.

Conflict said:
I'm glad to see that the corruption of the greed based corporation which sent them into that hell-hole without oversight or scrupulous provision did not kill them.

Are you serious?! It's the corporation's fault?? Many of those guys were in their 50s and 60s and had been mining there for 20, 30 years.

And the company is anew one with a dramatic increase in safety violations since their take-over.

The Real McCoy said:
Are you serious?! It's the corporation's fault?? Many of those guys were in their 50s and 60s and had been mining there for 20, 30 years.

Do you have an issue with the terms "greed" and "corporation"?

Don't deny it.

Dont' feel guilty.

Stop lying to yourself.

Conservatives like to blame the victims.

steen said:
And the company is anew one with a dramatic increase in safety violations since their take-over.

You got a source for that?

steen said:

I try to look at from a greater perspective.... corporate irresponsibility.... if that happens to implicate conservatives then so be it. I'll let their unwitting conscience speak for itself. ;)

Conflict said:
Do you have an issue with the terms "greed" and "corporation"?

Don't deny it.

Dont' feel guilty.

Stop lying to yourself.

What are you babbling about?

This thread was started to acknowledge the good news that the other 12 miners were find alive.

Sure enough, the very next post was of an inflammatory nature and it pissed me off.

I wasn't aware that this company owned slaves. Last I checked, people apply for these jobs knowing full well the risks of mining.

steen said:

A weak generalization so I'll respond in kind:

Liberals like to ignore personal responsibility and accountibility.

The Real McCoy said:
What are you babbling about?

This thread was started to acknowledge the good news that the other 12 miners were find alive.

Sure enough, the very next post was of an inflammatory nature and it pissed me off.

I wasn't aware that this company owned slaves. Last I checked, people apply for these jobs knowing full well the risks of mining.

Yes and I'm sure you have a "support the miners" magnet on your bumper, right?

Conflict said:

Thank god they are still alive.

Those god damn evil corporations giving people jobs to feed their families! How dare they. :roll:

And just what other reason would a corporation have to go into business other than to make money, if you don't like Capitalism then maybe you should move to China, oh wait they're evil capitalists now too, ok Vietnam then, damn they too have adobted capitalism, well Cuba then yes you can move to Cuba but I gotta warn you after about a month or so of hunger and want and forced labor you'll be strapping together pool rafts to get to Key West.

In the past two years, the mine was cited 273 times for safety violations, of which about a third were classified as "significant and substantial," according to documents compiled by the Labor Department's Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). Many were for problems that could contribute to accidental explosions or the collapse of mine tunnels, records show.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/03/AR2006010301433.html

Not that I blame conservatives for this, but it is a fact. I heard it yesterday on NPR, too. Is acknowledging this fact somehow unfair to the poor, old benevolent mining company?

Um, nup - they're dead:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/01/04/jubilation_then_horror/

In a staggering development, family members said mining officials revealed early this morning that 12 men died in an explosion Monday in a coal mine.

Only three hours before the announcement, the families and friends had been told that 12 miners survived. Joyous celebrations and hymns of praise greeted the erroneous news.

It was later learned that only one man was pulled from the Sago Mine alive. Hospital officials said the man, identified as Randal McCloy, was in critical condition...

And there was yet more about the mining company problems and safety violations on NPR today

No offense to Trahan in all sincerity but it was quite the Naive perception to actually think anyone would survive this. The one young gentleman that did survive this atrocity, If he lives, shoud receive 33 percent of the corporations assets. As a certifiable templar of the 33º.

The rest should be distributed equally amongst the remainder of the family "victims".

I say victims for a reason.

I'm sure some wonder why.

I am open to criticism or inquisition.

p.s. if you call me a dingleberry...

I will NOT be offended.

Those god damn evil corporations giving people jobs to feed their families! How dare they. :roll:

And just what other reason would a corporation have to go into business other than to make money, if you don't like Capitalism then maybe you should move to China, oh wait they're evil capitalists now too, ok Vietnam then, damn they too have adobted capitalism, well Cuba then yes you can move to Cuba but I gotta warn you after about a month or so of hunger and want and forced labor you'll be strapping together pool rafts to get to Key West.

Hate to break the bad news to ya....

My good indoctrinated friend.....

I hold nothing against the ideology of capatilism.... it is only when such coporations are allowed the proprietary rights beyond that of the citizen that I seem to disagree.

Conflict said:
No offense to Trahan in all sincerity but it was quite the Naive perception to actually think anyone would survive this. The one young gentleman that did survive this atrocity, If he lives, shoud receive 33 percent of the corporations assets. As a certifiable templar of the 33º.

The rest should be distributed equally amongst the remainder of the family "victims".

I say victims for a reason.

I'm sure some wonder why.

I am open to criticism or inquisition.

p.s. if you call me a dingleberry...

I will NOT be offended.
OK...

33% goes to one person(and family)

67% got to the remaining families of the the twelve that died in the mine...

Perfect...

Now the hundreds, or possibly thousands of other workers for that company(you know...miners, finance, administrative, foremen, management, etc.) are out of a job...In a city where the town is built on the mining...

Congratulations...You just destroyed a whole community!...

So it's okay for a company to ignore safety regulations that save lives if by ignoring those regulations it keeps members in a community employed? Great reasoning. Sounds like a terrible excuse to me.

Lefty said:
So it's okay for a company to ignore safety regulations that save lives if by ignoring those regulations it keeps members in a community employed? Great reasoning. Sounds like a terrible excuse to me.

Mining is a dangerous occupation what do you want us to do, put all miners out of work, seriously what's your point, I would really like to know specifically?

Mining is a dangerous occupation what do you want us to do, put all miners out of work, seriously what's your point, I would really like to know specifically?

Yes it's a dangerous occupation, and that is why we have safety regulations. It would be less hazardous if the company would follow those regulations. It's absurd to suggest that the company shouldn't pay for ignoring safety regulations just because they employ a lot of people.

Lefty said:
Yes it's a dangerous occupation, and that is why we have safety regulations. It would be less hazardous if the company would follow those regulations. It's absurd to suggest that the company shouldn't pay for ignoring safety regulations just because they employ a lot of people.

Where do you get the conclusion that the company violated safety regulations do you perhaps have any corraborative evidence besides your word?

Back
Top Bottom