• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Millions face delayed tax refunds, cuts to food stamps as White House scrambles to deal with shutdow

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Going into year three, the least competent administration in history is still learning what government does. Apparently it just dawned on somebody that going into tax season with 90% of the IRS at home without pay means that tens of millions of households won't be getting refunds if Trump keeps dragging out his shutdown.

Millions face delayed tax refunds, cuts to food stamps as White House scrambles to deal with shutdown’s consequences
Food stamps for 38 million low-income Americans would face severe reductions and more than $140 billion in tax refunds are at risk of being frozen or delayed if the government shutdown stretches into February, widespread disruptions that threaten to hurt the economy.

The Trump administration, which had not anticipated a long-term shutdown, recognized only this week the breadth of the potential impact, several senior administration officials said. The officials said they were focused now on understanding the scope of the consequences and determining whether there is anything they can do to intervene.

Thousands of federal programs are affected by the shutdown, but few intersect with the public as much as the tax system and the Department of Agriculture’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, the current version of food stamps.

Same story for Trump's payoffs to the farmers his trade war is bankrupting. He hasn't paid out the money yet and with the goverment shut down he can't do it.

And yet today Trump says he might want to drag his shutdown on for years? That's phenomenally bad bluffing.

Going into year three, the least competent administration in history is still learning what government does. Apparently it just dawned on somebody that going into tax season with 90% of the IRS at home without pay means that tens of millions of households won't be getting refunds if Trump keeps dragging out his shutdown.

Millions face delayed tax refunds, cuts to food stamps as White House scrambles to deal with shutdown’s consequences

Same story for Trump's payoffs to the farmers his trade war is bankrupting. He hasn't paid out the money yet and with the goverment shut down he can't do it.

And yet today Trump says he might want to drag his shutdown on for years? That's phenomenally bad bluffing.

Are you that dependent on your tax refund? I don't even think about it till I get it, nor do I count on it for my financial security.

If you really cared, perhaps you'd start blaming the Democrats a little too? All they need do is approve the $5 Billion requested for his wall project and the appropriations bill would fly through the process. :coffeepap:

Are you that dependent on your tax refund? I don't even think about it till I get it, nor do I count on it for my financial security.

Irrelevant to the fact that many do.
If you really cared, perhaps you'd start blaming the Democrats a little too? All they need do is approve the $5 Billion requested for his wall project and the appropriations bill would fly through the process. :coffeepap:

Why? They don't share any blame in Twump's hissy fit meltdown over a useless fantasy campaign prop.

...Why? They don't share any blame in Twump's hissy fit meltdown over a useless fantasy campaign prop.

Yes they do. The President is not going to budge, they know it, and they refuse to budge...over 1/5th of what they were willing to approve back when they wanted DACA Amnesty, etc.

Now they are being just as stubborn and must share the blame. :shrug:

Last edited:
Yes they do. The President is not going to budge, they know it, and they refuse to budge...over 1/5th of what they were willing to approve back when they wanted DACA Amnesty, etc.

I call BS.

Once Pelosi blurted out the moronic assertion that a physical barrier at the border is immoral it has become an ethical issue. How dare you ask anyone to do something which is immoral? Why it is not immoral to leave the existing physical barriers at the border intact, of course, has never been asked of Pelosi. Mr. Trump tear down that wall!

If they're so concerned they should change their withholding status and stop loaning their money all year long to the government

If you really cared, perhaps you'd start blaming the Democrats a little too?

This is all on Trump. One mean tweet from Ann Coulter and he decides to hold hostage 50 million households' cash and take food away from 40 million Americans.

No, they don't. You can insist that they do all you'd like, but the house and senate already had a package with no wall that the POTUS was ready to agree to, then he heard the usual idiots on RW Yeehaw Radio screaming about it and changed his petulant toddler's mind.

They share absolutely no blame, and Trump has already publicly absolved them of any, placing it entirely on his own shoulders. There are receipts.

You simply have no idea what you're talking about.

Exactly. The dems could open up the government tomorrow if they wanted. But they are too stubborn to give anything to Trump that he could call a victory.

If they're so concerned they should change their withholding status and stop loaning their money all year long to the government

Sounds like you've got a bright future in the White House Communications Office.

I call BS.

Yes, it is BS...if anyone says that the Democrat's share no blame for the shutdown by their refusal to appropriate $5 Billion for a wall. Especially when they know the President will Veto it otherwise, and they don't have enough votes in the Senate to override.

All they have to do is allow the $5 billion for wall construction and viola! Appropriations bill passes. :shrug:

Yes, it is BS...if anyone says that the Democrat's share no blame for the shutdown by their refusal to appropriate $5 Billion for a wall. Especially when they know the President will Veto it otherwise, and they don't have enough votes in the Senate to override.

All they have to do is allow the $5 billion for wall construction and viola! Appropriations bill passes. :shrug:

Violas are string instruments. Walls are right wing BS.

This is all on Trump. One mean tweet from Ann Coulter and he decides to hold hostage 50 million households' cash and take food away from 40 million Americans.

THen why dont dems negotiate a deal with Trump and free these 50 million households and feed the 40 million Americans that trump is starving? Oh thats right. Liberals dont really give a **** about them. They care more about a political victory.

THen why dont dems negotiate a deal with Trump and free these 50 million households and feed the 40 million Americans that trump is starving? Oh thats right. Liberals dont really give a **** about them. They care more about a political victory.

Dems have already passed legislation to re-open the government. Trump wants it shut down. For years!

I got 8 bucks suckas. Oh wait... Not much of a bragging right... #Winning?

No, they don't. You can insist that they do all you'd like, but the house and senate already had a package with no wall that the POTUS was ready to agree to, then he heard the usual idiots on RW Yeehaw Radio screaming about it and changed his petulant toddler's mind.

They share absolutely no blame, and Trump has already publicly absolved them of any, placing it entirely on his own shoulders. There are receipts.

You simply have no idea what you're talking about.

Blah blah blah!

All I hear is "Wall Bad, Dem's good!" justifications.

It takes both the Congress and the President working together to pass legislation of any kind. When both refuse to cooperate on an appropriations bill, you get a shutdown.

BOTH are to blame, not just the side you don't agree with. :doh

LOL! No, that's what your toddler-god Twump is doing. He's even put in completely on his own account by his own words on camera.

That you have to deny such a simple reality is incredibly delicious.

Many people who live paycheck to paycheck rely on those tax returns to catch up on bills, buy things that have been put off ect.

We always had used cars and we would also.ost always either upgrade or get needed repairs done.

The other thing we did was splurge and go out for dinner the one time a hear we allowed ourselves to.

Trump is ****ing with people's lives for his own ego stroking, and don't think for a second people are unaware of it.

Blah blah blah!

All I hear is "Wall Bad, Dem's good!" justifications.

Only because that's what you psychologically need to hear in order to prop up your laughable and transparent false narrative.
It takes both the Congress and the President working together to pass legislation of any kind. When both refuse to cooperate on an appropriations bill, you get a shutdown.

BOTH are to blame, not just the side you don't agree with. :doh

Newp. Not in this case, but I completely understand your desperate need to maintain that particular fiction.

The Republicans in the Senate already said approved the exact spending bill the Democrats are pushing through.

No one party should be able to make demands at the last minute and renege on what they already agreed to, then take government funding for ransom to extort their colleagues.

All McConnell and Trump have to do is agree to what they already said privately they would agree to, until the voices in right-wing media forced them to pull this stunt that has backed fired in their face.

Sequestration.

Actually, its probably not even $5 billion. Trump would probably settle if libs met him half way at say $3 billion. The money is insignificant, its all politics.

THen why dont dems negotiate a deal with Trump ...
They did and Trump was ready to approve the spending bill of the Senate, until Coulter changed his mind.

Fair politics is not changing your mind at the last minute with new demands, then taking the government hostage to get them.

LOL! No, that's what your toddler-god Twump is doing. He's even put in completely on his own account by his own words on camera.

That you have to deny such a simple reality is incredibly delicious.

I held your hand through this conversation once and you learned nothing. Doesnt matter what Trump says or said. The fact is, dems can open the government tomorrow. That you dont understand that is just you wallowing in your own ignorance. I tried. I cant educate you if you arent willing to learn.

Back
Top Bottom