• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Millionaires to Obama: Tax us

Tedminator

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
By Rachel Rose Hartman – Fri Nov 19, 12:30 pm ET

Anti-tax activists everywhere have been loudly arguing for an extension of George W. Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans in the United States. Now a group of millionaires is arguing the opposite.

More than 40 of the nation's millionaires have joined Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength to ask President Obama to discontinue the yax breaks established for them during the Bush administration, as Salon reports. "For the fiscal health of our nation and the well-being of our fellow citizens, we ask that you allow tax cuts on incomes over $1,000,000 to expire at the end of this year as scheduled," their website states. "We make this request as loyal citizens who now or in the past earned an income of $1,000,000 per year or more."

source: Millionaires to Obama: Tax us - Yahoo! News

hmm I wonder how many will sign this petition.

Last edited:
Here is their website and letter..

Dear Mr. President,

We are writing to urge you to stand firm against those who would put politics ahead of their country.
For the fiscal health of our nation and the well-being of our fellow citizens, we ask that you allow tax cuts on incomes over $1,000,000 to expire at the end of this year as scheduled.
We make this request as loyal citizens who now or in the past earned an income of $1,000,000 per year or more.

We have done very well over the last several years. Now, during our nation’s moment of need, we are eager to do our fair share. We don’t need more tax cuts, and we understand that cutting our taxes will increase the deficit and the debt burden carried by other taxpayers. The country needs to meet its financial obligations in a just and responsible way.

Letting tax cuts for incomes over $1,000,000 expire, is an important step in that direction.

Sincerely,
Fiscal Strength

They shouldn't need to sign it. Any liberal with intellectual integrity (oxymoron though that may be) has only to figure out his/her tax, then add zeros on the end of it until he/she feels good. The problem is with the hypocrites who look for any loophole they can find and cry to make up the difference by soaking the rest of us. Personally, if I have extra money, I have a list of worthy charities close to home that can spend the money a lot more effectively than the government.

Now that's patriotism. I don't care what side of the aisle they're on, this is a much appreciated gesture, that all politicians need to note when voting on whether to extend the Bush tax cuts.

By Rachel Rose Hartman – Fri Nov 19, 12:30 pm ET

Anti-tax activists everywhere have been loudly arguing for an extension of George W. Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans in the United States. Now a group of millionaires is arguing the opposite.

More than 40 of the nation's millionaires have joined Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength to ask President Obama to discontinue the yax breaks established for them during the Bush administration, as Salon reports. "For the fiscal health of our nation and the well-being of our fellow citizens, we ask that you allow tax cuts on incomes over $1,000,000 to expire at the end of this year as scheduled," their website states. "We make this request as loyal citizens who now or in the past earned an income of $1,000,000 per year or more."

source: Millionaires to Obama: Tax us - Yahoo! News

hmm I wonder how many will sign this petition
.[/
QUOTE]

Hmmm.. I wonder why they don't just send their checks in? They don't need a law to contribute to the IRS.

I'm not so worried about the Millionaires as I am the small business owners - those that may even still be filing as individuals. Those are the one to five employee type businesses that this tax increase could devastate.

I'm not so worried about the Millionaires as I am the small business owners - those that may even still be filing as individuals. Those are the one to five employee type businesses that this tax increase could devastate.

The dems don't care. Higher taxes are the answer to everything.

these millionaires are free to send in as much as they like. they shouldnt screw over our employer class just because 40-odd of America's millionaires signed a letter.

that poor small business owner filing individually with over one million dollars in after expense personal income from company profits, now subjected to a higher tax rate
devastated i tell you

uber rich liberals figure that they will ingratiate themselves with their dem allies and kill of those who aren't quite so rich who cannot really handle a massive tax hike

If these asses really were operating from a position of altruism they would just write massive checks to the government and not spend so much time demanding that others get soaked by the government

they are scum of the worst type IMHO

that poor small business owner filing individually with over one million dollars in after expense personal income from company profits, now subjected to a higher tax rate
devastated i tell you

there's that envy working again. as long as someone does better than you you want the government to soak him as much as possible

unless you are willing to pay the same amount of taxes as average rich person you really have no standing to demand they pay more

uber rich liberals figure that they will ingratiate themselves with their dem allies and kill of those who aren't quite so rich who cannot really handle a massive tax hike

If these asses really were operating from a position of altruism they would just write massive checks to the government and not spend so much time demanding that others get soaked by the government

Prove that those who requested this are liberals.

there's that envy working again. as long as someone does better than you you want the government to soak him as much as possible

Many don't even understand what it's like to pay taxes - none of them having paid any. But they will come out to vote the way Democrats ask them - for a free meal and a couple bummed cigarettes.

such "scum" which advocates those, like themselves, who are best positioned to afford to pay more of the cost of government, advocating that policy
and if that was an humble opinion i look forward to laughing at the not-so-humble opinions you emit

yeah you are right-its conservatives who run around demanding that the government tax people more

silly me

such "scum" which advocates those, like themselves, who are best positioned to afford to pay more of the cost of government, advocating that policy
and if that was an humble opinion i look forward to laughing at the not-so-humble opinions you emit

you spend a lot of time on this board arguing that other people ought to pay more taxes

why don't you step to the plate and pay as much as I do?

yeah you are right-its conservatives who run around demanding that the government tax people more

silly me

no way could it be conservatives who want the deficit to be brought under control, by generating enough revenues to attenuate government borrowing

but then you might have to go back to Goldwater to find a republican/conservative with those values

I guess you didn't bother to read the cited article

The group includes many big-time Democratic donors such as Gail Furman, trial lawyer Guy Saperstein and Ben Cohen of Ben & Jerry's ice cream (pictured). The list remains open to millionaires who want to sign on

I guess now you will claim that these big time dem donors aren't necessarily liberal:2wave:

no way could it be conservatives who want the deficit to be brought under control, by generating enough revenues to attenuate government borrowing

but then you might have to go back to Goldwater to find a republican/conservative with those values

that is silly-libs want to jack taxes up so they can claim they are trying to pay for the huge spending they are going to enact to buy the votes of their minions. They also do this to create more of the US VS THEM class warfare that they use to gain power and convince the "downtrodden" to give them wealth and power based on class envy

We don't have a taxation problem, we have a spending problem.

liberals gain power by spending OUR money on THEIR voters. cutting back spending means cutting back VOTE BUYING

I guess you didn't bother to read the cited article

The group includes many big-time Democratic donors such as Gail Furman, trial lawyer Guy Saperstein and Ben Cohen of Ben & Jerry's ice cream (pictured). The list remains open to millionaires who want to sign on

I guess now you will claim that these big time dem donors aren't necessarily liberal:2wave:

Democrat and liberal are about as synonymous as Republican and conservative.

Democrat and liberal are about as synonymous as Republican and conservative.

actually there is a difference because you have trad/religous right republicans and you have libertarian republicans so on many issues there is a break in things like abortion and gay marriage but economically you are mostly correct. In the dem party lots of blacks and union types are "conservative" on issues like gay rights or abortion but they are "liberal" on economic issues.

some of the really rich liberals tend to be libertines like gay activists Ben and Jerry and that is the MAIN reason why they support the dems

The dems don't care. Higher taxes are the answer to everything.

As they leave themselves loopholes to not have to pay. I wonder if the democrat millionaires in congress will sign the petition.

We don't have a taxation problem, we have a spending problem.

another misguided forum member who believes there is no problem in buying stuff we cannot afford to pay for

that's it. let's give the tab to our kids' generation so that we can give billionaire$ tax breaks today

Back
Top Bottom