• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Million sign petition for new EU referendum

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A petition calling for a second referendum on UK's membership of the EU has gained more than one million signatures following the vote to leave.

The petition will be considered by Parliament as it has passed the required 100,000 threshold.

David Cameron previously said there would be no second referendum.

The petition, set up by William Oliver Healey, states: "We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the Remain or Leave vote is less than 60%, based on a turnout less than 75%, there should be another referendum."
Thursday saw a 72.2% turnout, significantly higher than the 66.1% turnout at last year's general election, but below the 75% mark suggested by Mr Healey as a threshold.

The parliamentary petitions system is overseen by the Petitions Committee, which considers whether petitions that receive more than 100,000 signatures should be raised in the House of Commons and debated.
The committee is due to sit again on Tuesday.

Million sign petition for new EU referendum - BBC News
Also see:
Founding EU members tell Britain: let's get this divorce done | Reuters

Some questions:

1)Why is Cameron so adamant that another referendum not take place?
2)The rest of the EU wants the Brexit divorce to take place quickly and decisively. While they say they do not want to be slogged down in a long, drawn out "divorce," doesn't it benefit them in the long run for the UK to remain?
3)What percentage of the petitions calling for a second referendum do you imagine are those who voted to leave?

Why did they put the requirements even higher? Why is 72% of the population voting and 52% saying yes not good enough?

On a side note, did the article you posted find the goofiest looking people protesting or what? I mean, ****ing hell, that pale purple haired person is straight out of a clown car.

Also see:

Some questions:

2)The rest of the EU wants the Brexit divorce to take place quickly and decisively. While they say they do not want to be slogged down in a long, drawn out "divorce," doesn't it benefit them in the long run for the UK to remain?
3)What percentage of the petitions calling for a second referendum do you imagine are those who voted to leave?

Its not surprising that the losers want a second bite at the apple. But the vote is in. Time to live with it.

1: It prolongs uncertainty in the British economy which vastly increases the chances of a recession.

2. It actually benefits southern neighbors for Britain to leave because it may allow for welfare reforms to take place that the British had previously opposed because they would have been footing part of the bill.

3. I think the vast majority who wanted to leave still do but a small percentage did believe some lies about funding the national health service with monies that were going to go to the EU and now they have some regrets. I think considerably more will have regrets if Ireland and Scotland break off to stay in the EU because then Britain will truly experience all the costs of breaking away without any real reward. How will they control immigration to Scotland and how will they fair in a market in which they will likely face tariffs while still having to abide by EU rules?

Its not surprising that the losers want a second bite at the apple. But the vote is in. Time to live with it.

Exactly. For good or ill, it is done.
Next time vote, you stupid dumbasses.
screen_shot_20160624_at_11.44.33_am.png

And now Scotland's turn and maybe N. Ireland too!

f832eb75598b676f32e7ab13cfd8bbc3.jpg

Exactly. For good or ill, it is done.
Next time vote, you stupid dumbasses.
View attachment 67203263

And now Scotland's turn and maybe N. Ireland too!

View attachment 67203264

probably not googling to wonder what the EU is but to find news on the topic in general.

I guess I don't really follow why this is a big deal. Read a few articles this morning on "why I should care" and I still don't get it. The EU as a concept never made much sense to me.

probably not googling to wonder what the EU is but to find news on the topic in general.

I guess I don't really follow why this is a big deal. Read a few articles this morning on "why I should care" and I still don't get it. The EU as a concept never made much sense to me.

It was a brilliant idea for reducing conflict and making Europe more competitive in a global economy but it was poorly executed. The nation-state model of the U.S. would have been better but the union would likely be much smaller.

The article he (curiously) only linked an image of is here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hat-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

As per your second question, imagine if instead of having to get a visa and a passport to travel to each of the fifty states in the Union, you didn't need one at all. And imagine if you were able to use the exact same currency, and that you could do business freely in each of those fifty states while dealing with only minimal differences in regulations and laws. And imagine if you didn't like the state you were currently living in and could therefore freely move to any of those states. Also, imagine that there was a Federal government that already created freedom of passage, postal and flight rules to each of the countries in the rest of the planet, and without it your state would have to spend untold years negotiating those agreements with every country on earth.

Last edited:
The article he (curiously) only linked an image to is here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hat-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

As per your second question, imagine if instead of having to get a visa and a passport to travel to each of the fifty states in the Union, you didn't need one at all. And imagine if you were able to use the exact same currency, and that you could do business freely in each of those fifty states while dealing with only minimal differences in regulations and laws. And imagine if you didn't like the state you were currently living in and could therefore freely move to any of those states. Also, imagine that there was a Federal government that already created freedom of passage, postal and flight rules to each of the countries in the rest of the planet, and without it your state would have to spend untold years negotiating those agreements with every country on earth.
Apparently, the downside outweighed these supposed benefits.

Why did they put the requirements even higher? Why is 72% of the population voting and 52% saying yes not good enough?

On a side note, did the article you posted find the goofiest looking people protesting or what? I mean, ****ing hell, that pale purple haired person is straight out of a clown car.

Certainly was a hair color diverse group.

On the plus side, there's been some good wordplay coming out of this EU episode.
I like this one from one of the links ... "But Mr Cameron has said the referendum was a "once in a generation, once in a lifetime" decision, saying the UK had "referendums not neverendums"."

1: It prolongs uncertainty in the British economy which vastly increases the chances of a recession.

I can understand that, but it seems that if if England did a reversal the markets would settle down again and more UK citizens would move forward with a refreshed idea of what the EU was actually doing for them.

2. It actually benefits southern neighbors for Britain to leave because it may allow for welfare reforms to take place that the British had previously opposed because they would have been footing part of the bill.

Footing part of the bill? Did that overwhelm the net benefits of unfettered access to the rest of Europe's markets and free, unfettered travel?

3. I think the vast majority who wanted to leave still do but a small percentage did believe some lies about funding the national health service with monies that were going to go to the EU and now they have some regrets. I think considerably more will have regrets if Ireland and Scotland break off to stay in the EU because then Britain will truly experience all the costs of breaking away without any real reward. How will they control immigration to Scotland and how will they fair in a market in which they will likely face tariffs while still having to abide by EU rules?

Apparently, the downside outweighed these supposed benefits.

That's the perception when you're dealing with the web of bureaucratic mosquitoes as we do in everyday life, not knowing the backdrop of conveniences that you take for granted every day.

Let 'em sign petitions if it makes them feel better. In politics you don't get a do over.

Let 'em sign petitions if it makes them feel better. In politics you don't get a do over.

The Petitions Committee will be making that determination, not you.

I'm not confident they will send it to the House of Commons, but I don't think it's impossible either. I don't think it's beyond the pale that the UK will have taken the weekend to blink really, really hard.

The article he (curiously) only linked an image of is here:

So just like the United States except with a minimalistic Federal government?

Markets are going to settle down. The money lenders were giving dire predictions before the vote, and are now just trying to give or show that they were correct predictions.
Within a week, markets will improve by at least 75 percent.
All this jabber about wanting a second referendum and not knowing what the referendum was all about is plain corporate propaganda just in case Americans and others choose to stop globalization on their own turf.

So just like the United States except with a minimalistic Federal government?

So like the United States in that a vast number of conveniences are running in the background that make every day commerce and travel infinitely easier than without.

Also see:

Some questions:

Rig the rules so that you can get the result you want. She must be campaigning to get a job on Hillary's campaign staff.

Yet more compelling evidence that this was a good move.

I guess if you don't have faith in or respect for the younger generation overall you may feel like that.

Back
Top Bottom