• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Million sign petition for new EU referendum

The people who voted to leave evidently didn't educate themselves on both sides of the issue, and agreed to a terrible solution as a result. Not a high point in Democracy.
I actually think it *could be* a high point for democracy if reforms are taken. I think once people give the dust a chance to settle, cooler heads will prevail and a path will be chosen to make the best out of this situation. The EU can't be happy about this but at the same time, what are they really going to do? Impose punitive measures? That would be stupid. There are other EU nations that are currently on the fence about whether or not to "Brexit" themselves. Right now it would be in everyone's best interest to just calm down and can the vitriol. What happened last week is not nearly as important as what happens going forward.

When people feel ignored or betrayed by their leadership, sooner or later they will lash out.(see Donald Trump)

What a bunch of babies.

The only reason there should be another vote is if it can be shown that there were enough voting irregularities to put the previous result in serious doubt. Which, to my knowledge, there is not.

But these people just cannot accept the truth.

And what happens if this Brexit vote goes badly...move the goalposts further away and try again?

Grow up...it's done...live with it like adults.

Btw, for the second trading day since Brexit, the French and German stock indexes (CAC and the DAX, respectively) dropped by a higher percentage then the British (FTSE) one.
Clearly, the EU fears the UK leaving more then the UK does.

The downside for the UK leaving the EU is WAY overblown. And once the panic settles, that will start to become evident, IMO.

Last edited:
have you read this version of why the vote went that way?

Britain and the EU - Bloomberg QuickTake

They sign treaties and join international groups, and each time they do, they give up a bit of independence. That happened in a big way with the creation of the European Union, a free-trade zone and global political force forged from the fractious states of Europe.

for a lot of voters, it really was that simple

maybe you believe they were wrong....a lot of people do

only time will tell how this really will play out....

but i do understand the "fear" of losing control of ones borders....

we have a lot of people that feel the same way here in the usa, and it is one of the reasons Trump has risen to power

right? wrong? i dunno....but i am listening.....are you?

It's not so much that I think they're wrong as that I suspect they don't seem to have a cogent idea of what independence they were sacrificing as a result of their membership in the EU. The article you linked just repeats what I've already been told: that they voted to leave for "independence," which is frankly as non-substantive as "freedom" and "sovereignty."

I actually think it *could be* a high point for democracy if reforms are taken. I think once people give the dust a chance to settle, cooler heads will prevail and a path will be chosen to make the best out of this situation. The EU can't be happy about this but at the same time, what are they really going to do? Impose punitive measures? That would be stupid. There are other EU nations that are currently on the fence about whether or not to "Brexit" themselves. Right now it would be in everyone's best interest to just calm down and can the vitriol. What happened last week is not nearly as important as what happens going forward.

When people feel ignored or betrayed by their leadership, sooner or later they will lash out.(see Donald Trump)

Right now I see the EU as being in a catch 22. If they don't penalize England then other countries may see little reason to fear leaving. And if they do penalize the UK they immediately justify every far right wing party that screams, "See we told you Brussels was a tyrant!!"

What a bunch of babies.

The only reason there should be another vote is if it can be shown that there were enough voting irregularities to put the previous result in serious doubt. Which, to my knowledge, there is not.

But these people just cannot accept the truth.

And what happens if this Brexit vote goes badly...move the goalposts further away and try again?

Grow up...it's done...live with it like adults.

Btw, for the second trading day since Brexit, the French and German stock indexes (CAC and the DAX, respectively) dropped by a higher percentage then the British (FTSE) one.
Clearly, the EU fears the UK leaving more then the UK does.

The downside for the UK leaving the EU is WAY overblown. And once the panic settles, that will start to become evident, IMO.

Would you really care if there were problems in the voting, though? The people who support the Leave vote seem so ideological in this matter that I don't think there's a thing you could say about it that would change their minds.

Dunno if mentioned in the thread,, but this petition that has been signed by so many.... well it was started before the vote by a leave voter because he expected a remain vote... irony at its best. He is now pissed that people are using his petition haha..

Would you really care if there were problems in the voting, though? The people who support the Leave vote seem so ideological in this matter that I don't think there's a thing you could say about it that would change their minds.

I don't support/much care about either side.

If Britain stays or goes...means little to me (other then how it effects my investments - and I already made my money on the vote; I was betting on Leave).

Fun to watch though.

John Oliver's absolutely brilliant analysis of what he feels about Cameron's resignation:

"It's like catching an ice cream cone out of the air because a child was hit by a car. I'll eat it, but it's tainted somehow."

John Oliver's absolutely brilliant analysis of what he feels about Cameron's resignation:

"It's like catching an ice cream cone out of the air because a child was hit by a car. I'll eat it, but it's tainted somehow."

John Oliver said it - we have no idea if he wrote it or not. So we don't know if it's his take or someone else's.

THE 4 day pattern with the stock markets of UK.. FRANCE ,,and GERMANY..... EACH and every day UK was the winner of these 3...
each and every day Germany was the loser of these 3.

THE REASON is the wise can see that the immigration issue harms.. and UK shows they are saying most to NO they are helped the most and since germany is saying YES they are harmed the worst

Euro Union nation has LOST TRILLIONS with MERKELS Horrendous error.. will she be thrown in jail?

each and every day since the vote.. Uk stock has beat france and germany each day with germany the worst each day

canada will benefit greatly from this as well as america with trading strong with UK.. same with austrailia

for the WEEK after the vote.... UK GAINED 2.6%....all the rest had a minus... France 5.1%.. Germany 5.6%..Spain 8.1%..Italy 9.8%.. Ireland 11.7%...Greece 12.3%... and each of the nordic states in the euro union lost and these will vote to secede from the union and the reason why they lost less..

WHAT a MONSTROUS ERROR by MERKEL...!!!

and how the very young voted shows this issue was a wisdom test for voters.. 75% of 18-25 voted to remain in union which means the others more experienced and wiser voted in a landslide to exit

and the stock markets proves who are the wiinners and losers and also shows if you let unwise people vote a nation WILL BE THE LOSER.. so soon there will be a world wide wisdom test for voters and no more liberalism..

THIS also will bring te conservative states to separate from the liberals states.... WELCOME TO THE CONSERVATIVE STATES OF AMERICA

thank you for your warm words,if i had any feelings i would be hurt.
so this is all about you .

run don run

People always value democracy until it gives them a result they don't like, then they try to change the system or backpeddle.

I understand why people are upset with Brexit but the people have spoken.

Back
Top Bottom