• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Million sign petition for new EU referendum

The UK is bankrupt.
It has been bankrupt since WWI and definitely after WWII.
It did not complete repayment to US for loans for WW1-2 until December 2006.
Thatcher's policies looked good on paper because North Sea oil was just coming on stream.
North Sea oil is now empty.
Britain will be the first major Western power to collapse and Japan the second. Followed by North America very shortly afterwards. Within 25 years maximum.

UK is not bankrupt. Scotland and Northern Ireland are bankrupt and rely on England to foot their bills. The Anglo-American loan were loans that last 50 years (UK had 50 years to pay it back) and was given with special status in which UK could delay payments when it suited their preference in the exchange rate, they delayed payments 6 times. They actually paid all the debt per the rules of the agreement.

I predict that there won't be a new referendum no matter how many people sign petitions.

This is why mob rule doesn't work.

UK is not bankrupt. Scotland and Northern Ireland are bankrupt and rely on England to foot their bills. The Anglo-American loan were loans that last 50 years (UK had 50 years to pay it back) and was given with special status in which UK could delay payments when it suited their preference in the exchange rate, they delayed payments 6 times. They actually paid all the debt per the rules of the agreement.

What does the UK manufacture outside of military hardware?
The UK is a land of banks and ponzi schemes only.

Actually it was not. UK join with no referendum in 1973. In 1976 they voted to stay or go at that point.
UK has always held the right to walk away at anytime based on referendum.

And they just had a referendum and the majority voted to get out of the EU.

There won't be another vote.Wait and see.

It should get to 3 million in a few hours.

There was around a 60% increase in the foreign born population in the UK over the span of a little more than a decade. Could you imagine if the immigration population in the U.S. went from 42 million to 68 million in around 10 years how much that would freak out the country? That is why Trump is calling this decision "taking back their country." The problem is that if Scottland and Ireland break off to stay with the EU then the immigration trends will probably continue and now the British will have to pay to partake in the EU market. They will have gained absolutely nothing and will ultimately paying quite the alimony. In essence, this is just like a regular divorce.

In the U.S. if you live in a state like New York you think nothing about your tax dollars going to pay for things like food stamps in Louisiana. It doesn't quite work that way in the EU. Wealthier countries like the UK may take issue with footing the bill for welfare in Spain, and may forgo benefits like visa free travel to avoid it.
Furthermore in places like Greece you have beauty salon employees retiring at 50 and collect benefits while Germans work their fingers to the bone until they're 70. I bet people in Florida or Texas would strongly consider seccession if Californians had that kind of relationship. I could understand Brits wanting to leave so that they don't have to subsidize that kind of sloth and indolence.

If you've not seen it yet, John Oliver's take on Brexit is simply brilliant and the best 15 minutes or so that I've found so far for nailing down the important bits. Highly worth the time it takes to watch it.

John Oliver's Brutal Takedown of "Brexit" | Highsnobiety

John Oliver is losing his touch. He's becoming more and more selective about what he leaves in and what he leaves out. He's still good but slipping.

Its not surprising that the losers want a second bite at the apple. But the vote is in. Time to live with it.

More like it is time to string up some right wing liars. The Right wing duped the poor voters with outright lies and now there is a lot of buyers regret. The Reactionary leave supporters will now be rightly blamed for all the fallout from this vote. I hope they tar and feather them. They obviously knew they had to lie to win and they should pay dearly for it.

It was a stunning morning-after moment. Almost the instant his party's Brexit win was secured, the leader of Britain's independence movement appeared on ITV's Good Morning Britain and jettisoned the campaign promise that carried his supporters to victory.
Nigel Farage, leader of the UK Independence Party, told interviewer Susannah Reid that the claim that Britain's cash-strapped National Health Service would reap the £350 million a week previously supplied to the European Union in Brussels "was a mistake."

"No, I can't, and I would never, make that claim," Farage said. "And it was one of the mistakes I believe that the leave campaign made."

Reid reacted with astonishment. "Hang on a moment," she said. "That was one of the leave campaign's adverts. That the money was going to NHS. That's why many people voted."

"They made a mistake in doing that," Farage responded.
Brexit Leader: National Health Service Won't Reap Promised Millions | Top News | US News

Last edited:
Furthermore in places like Greece you have beauty salon employees retiring at 50 and collect benefits while Germans work their fingers to the bone until they're 70.

God this myth has been debunked so long ago.. why are you spreading lies?

Normal retirement age in Greece is 67, the same as in Germany.

Furthermore in places like Greece you have beauty salon employees retiring at 50 and collect benefits while Germans work their fingers to the bone until they're 70. I bet people in Florida or Texas would strongly consider seccession if Californians had that kind of relationship. I could understand Brits wanting to leave so that they don't have to subsidize that kind of sloth and indolence.

You are just like the Leave supporters. You need to make up lies to support your views. Unlike in Britain, lies are not so easily believed here.

Brexit Leader: National Health Service Won't Reap Promised Millions | Top News | US News

There should be a second referendum. 2 main reasons.

People on the leave side said before the referendum that if the leave side lost and it was under 52% to stay, then they would demand to another vote. The leave camp won with 51.9% of the vote.

Also on the day there was massive flooding in London, a remain strong hold, and that according to most experts cut into the turnout by 3-5%. On top of that, many many many expats never received their voting forms.. I know of a lot of Brits who never got it here on the costa and most of them were remain.

There should be a second referendum. 2 main reasons.

People on the leave side said before the referendum that if the leave side lost and it was under 52% to stay, then they would demand to another vote. The leave camp won with 51.9% of the vote.

Also on the day there was massive flooding in London, a remain strong hold, and that according to most experts cut into the turnout by 3-5%. On top of that, many many many expats never received their voting forms.. I know of a lot of Brits who never got it here on the costa and most of them were remain.

Don't forget he out right lies told by the leave group. They made the false claim that E.U. dues would be used to fund the NHS. Now they are saying it was a "mistake".
That false claim should void the results.

Don't forget he out right lies told by the leave group. They made the false claim that E.U. dues would be used to fund the NHS. Now they are saying it was a "mistake".
That false claim should void the results.

Yes yes, but my point with the second one, is there was issues that seriously impacted the turnout and hence the votes... big enough issues to easily change the result. When you have such a situation then it is democratically the right thing to do, to at least debate and consider seriously if a new vote should be called.

We are talking about large parts of London that were impassable for most of the day due to flooding, and possibly 10s of thousands of expats that never got their ballot paper. It is not insignificant issues as some would claim.

They could at least allow those areas where there was flooding problems to revote and allow expats to cast their ballots if they were registered on time.

I heard this today. Is the argument that if the leave side gets a 52% threshhold requirement, then it should also apply to the remain side? Doesn't equal protection apply to laws in Great Britain?

The more I learn about this vote, the more I'm stunned.

I heard this today. Is the argument that if the leave side gets a 52% threshhold requirement, then it should also apply to the remain side? Doesn't equal protection apply to laws in Great Britain?

The more I learn about this vote, the more I'm stunned.

It is not a law, but a demand made by some on the leave campaign in the days up to the vote. At least I dont think it is a law... could be wrong.

It is not a law, but a demand made by some on the leave campaign in the days up to the vote. At least I dont think it is a law... could be wrong.
A demand is different. Hypocrisy, yes, but apparently non binding.

The whole business of a 50+1 vote referendum on a question as complex as EU membership is incredible. The fate of the world's 5th largest economy rests with a simple majority vote. Had Britain approved the measure by massive count of 2/3, I can see the purpose of such a risky vote--maybe. But a bare majority or even 52-48? I think Britons should reexamine their referendum system. Demagogues have abused it.

Its not surprising that the losers want a second bite at the apple. But the vote is in. Time to live with it.

Excuse me! It was Nigel Farage that said if the remain campaign wins by a light majority he would call for a second referendum. So why not now should the side that has lost not use this analogy aswell. Fairs Fair!!

After all the petition for another referendum has over 2 million votes and considering the Brexit won by only 1.3 million, if that was a general election it would be a hung parliment!

What does the UK manufacture outside of military hardware?
The UK is a land of banks and ponzi schemes only.

So you've never heard of:

1) Triumph Motorcycles
2) Curling stones (only place in the world that does),
3) Cars (Caterham, Bristol, McLaren and Morgan Motor Company)
4) TVs (Cello Electronics)
5) Trains (Bombardier)
6) Yatchs (Sunseeker)
7) Unilever corp ($72b in revenue in 2015 and are the P&G of Europe), they owns the brands, Dove, Knorr, Lipton, Hellmanns, Axe (body spray brand), Rexona (sure and degree), and Heartbrand
8) GlaxoSmithKline (6th largest Pharma company in the world)
9) Anglo American (they own De Beers)
10) AstraZeneca (7th largest Pharma company in the world)
11) Rolls-Royce
....I could go on.

You mean American, French, Spanish, and German banks that use London to make those trades. They did it in Dublin in early 2000s as well.

Any hint of "We will keep doing ballots till the little people do as they are told" will further weaken the position of the elite.

Back
Top Bottom