• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Million Muslim March' Planned On 9/11 Prompts Conservative Freakout

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
HuffPo thinks this is much ado about not much:

The event, first announced in January, is being organized by the American Muslim Political Action Committee (AMPAC), a fringe group led by M.D. Rabbi Alam, a professed 9/11 truther who has pushed controversial anti-Semitic conspiracy theories about the attacks. Last year, he made a failed bid for Missouri’s secretary of state, and his group has been doing little besides trying to attract national attention ever since.

AMPAC was finally successful on Thursday, when Breitbart News reported on the event, calling it "tasteless" and including an unrelated picture of hundreds of Muslims praying in front of the Capitol. Fox News later broke from their coverage of the violent military crackdown in Egypt, which has left nearly 600 dead and thousands injured, to give viewers an "alert" on the so-called "Million Muslim March," and going so far as to note that the total supporters of the event could currently be counted on two hands.

'Million Muslim March' Planned On 9/11 Anniversary Prompts Conservative Freakout

WaPo and the NY Times have not yet reported on this march. When I Googled, the only links were to conservative news sites such as the Washington Times and Newsmax. Is this because the story simply isn’t news? And is it fair to describe those who are reporting as freaking out?

The event, first announced in January, is being organized by the American Muslim Political Action Committee (AMPAC), a fringe group led by M.D. Rabbi Alam, a professed 9/11 truther who has pushed controversial anti-Semitic conspiracy theories about the attacks. Last year, he made a failed bid for Missouri’s secretary of state, and his group has been doing little besides trying to attract national attention ever since.

AMPAC was finally successful on Thursday, when Breitbart News reported on the event, calling it "tasteless" and including an unrelated picture of hundreds of Muslims praying in front of the Capitol. Fox News later broke from their coverage of the violent military crackdown in Egypt, which has left nearly 600 dead and thousands injured, to give viewers an "alert" on the so-called "Million Muslim March," and going so far as to note that the total supporters of the event could currently be counted on two hands.

'Million Muslim March' Planned On 9/11 Anniversary Prompts Conservative Freakout

WaPo and the NY Times have not yet reported on this march. When I Googled, the only links were to conservative news sites such as the Washington Times and Newsmax. Is this because the story simply isn’t news? And is it fair to describe those who are reporting as freaking out?
who cares?

People who keep up with the news?

I think this event is being blown up out of all proportion, obviously conservatives are trying to make it look like an explosion of Muslims, but I think the event will bomb.

I think this event is being blown up out of all proportion, obviously conservatives are trying to make it look like an explosion of Muslims, but I think the event will bomb.

I think it will too. But is reporting on this "blowing it up out of all proportion"? Isn't this news? Should not the "fishwraps of record" be at least mentioning it? I'm really surprised that WaPo hasn't had at least a brief, back-page article on this, given that the march will be held in DC.

That's not what I said.

" When I Googled, the only links were to conservative news sites such as the Washington Times and Newsmax. " -nota bene

Shirley you're not calling watimes or newsmax, "news?" They are propaganda like Pravda, serving no purpose other than dumbing down subscribers.

" When I Googled, the only links were to conservative news sites such as the Washington Times and Newsmax. " -nota bene

Shirley you're not calling watimes or newsmax, "news?" They are propaganda like Pravda, serving no purpose other than dumbing down subscribers.

Luckily, I have so many extra brain cells that I am unafraid to read alternative points of view. :lol:

Nota i think the significance of the date will ensure that it gets some coverage and i imagine that's the reason they chose it. It's very disrespectful to the families and loved ones of those that lost their lives that day. American Muslims were victims too. Clearly the aim is to antagonize. I agree with Spud in that i think this event has been blown way out of proportion. They're just a handful of idiots, even the article you supplied states that the supporters of the event could currently be counted on both hands. It's fearmongering at it worst really. Surely people don't think that a million Muslims will turn up to this. It's almost like they are suggesting that the only 9/11 truthers are Muslims? I mean hell, hop on over to the CT Forum and read posts from Americans who believe 9/11 was a Conspiracy or search the internet. They're everywhere.

Media frenzy or not though, anyone who marches on that particular day is asking for trouble and i hope their march is a miserable failure.

Fox News later broke from their coverage of the violent military crackdown in Egypt, which has left nearly 600 dead and thousands injured, to give viewers an "alert" on the so-called "Million Muslim March," and going so far as to note that the total supporters of the event could currently be counted on two hands. A Facebook page for the "Million Muslim March" -- which previously showed less than 10 people planning to attend -- had been taken down by the time of publish.

Given this group is smaller and less newsworthy then the WBC, (ie two supporters) it truely is not news. Those reporting it are generally those that push "fear the muslims" aspect. After all what would give more fear to the anti muslims then a show of 1 million muslims marching in the US

Your a bad man, a very bad man

Nota i think the significance of the date will ensure that it gets some coverage and i imagine that's the reason they chose it. It's very disrespectful to the families and loved ones of those that lost their lives that day. American Muslims were victims too. Clearly the aim is to antagonize. I agree with Spud in that i think this event has been blown way out of proportion. They're just a handful of idiots, even the article you supplied states that the supporters of the event could currently be counted on both hands. It's fearmongering at it worst really. Surely people don't think that a million Muslims will turn up to this. It's almost like they are suggesting that the only 9/11 truthers are Muslims? I mean hell, hop on over to the CT Forum and read posts from Americans who believe 9/11 was a Conspiracy or search the internet. They're everywhere.

Media frenzy or not though, anyone who marches on that particular day is asking for trouble and i hope their march is a miserable failure.

Sounds like a target-rich environment to me.

I hope they hand out T-shirts that say 'Sunni' or 'Shia' for everyone to wear.

Well I went and looked at some other Muslim sites and they are panning the AMPAC as nothing more than one man's political support PAC. It wasn't around before 2012. This guy reminds me of that Florida pastor who would grab at headlines by threatening to burn Qurans. As best i can recall he never burned anything but a few bridges.

He has tried several times to link himself to the Dems and other Muslim groups- who all quickly disavow him.

Perhaps the MSM is ignoring him because there are a myriad of more worthy stories, only the Con side of the 'news' sees any legs on this slug...

"Conservative" freakout? Why should only conservatives worry about antisemitic truther idiots marching on Washington?

It's not exactly as if Islamists are liberal, you know.

A rally/march/protest organized by a bunch of 9/11 "truthers" complaining that Muslims are being "persecuted" for actions that they had no part in is offensive to many, yet largely ignored by those that find this attitude "understandable". When interviewed these "supporters" will not answer the basic, simple question of who was responsible for the actions of the 19 terrorists involved in the 9/11 attacks. I agree that the level of support for these loons is not widespread but surely one could expect a rational explanation of its intent from its "organizers". It seems to amount to a pity party of those claiming some alleged personal harm from our gov't deciding to take action to prevent a repeat and eliminating those that pose a similar threat to our citizens.

So then, this little march (and it will be small) is not newsworthy and should not have been reported? By anyone?

Sounds like it is going to be more of a Dozen Moron March than a Million Muslim March. :shrug:

This kind of idiocy, promoted by an obvious idiot, will hopefully be ignored by all of the non-idiots in the world. It exacerbates the problems and will be used as an excuse by some idiots to bash all Muslims.

That's not what I said.

What you said is that it is being selectively reported, which it is. It is also being more "selectively" not reported, primarily because these folks are loons that cannot be painted as typical "good Muslims" fitting in with the MSM (liberal?) spin. It is just as much media bias to not report something as it is to report it.

So, then, the conservative outlets that did report on the march have been reckless and irresponsible? Should news of the march simply have not been reported at all?

1 Million is a handful? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom