• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Million Muslim March' Planned On 9/11 Prompts Conservative Freakout

So, then, the conservative outlets that did report on the march have been reckless and irresponsible? Should news of the march simply have not been reported at all?

At this point and time, yes. Why? Because it's really insignificant... all it does is creates false outrage.

Well a Muslim website is reporting the Williamsport TPs are supporting the march- if so I'd imagine the non Muslim marchers will out number the Muslim one 3 to 1.

Nota i think the significance of the date will ensure that it gets some coverage and i imagine that's the reason they chose it. It's very disrespectful to the families and loved ones of those that lost their lives that day. American Muslims were victims too. Clearly the aim is to antagonize. I agree with Spud in that i think this event has been blown way out of proportion. They're just a handful of idiots, even the article you supplied states that the supporters of the event could currently be counted on both hands. It's fearmongering at it worst really. Surely people don't think that a million Muslims will turn up to this. It's almost like they are suggesting that the only 9/11 truthers are Muslims? I mean hell, hop on over to the CT Forum and read posts from Americans who believe 9/11 was a Conspiracy or search the internet. They're everywhere.

Media frenzy or not though, anyone who marches on that particular day is asking for trouble and i hope their march is a miserable failure.

That's my question, I guess. It seems to me that reporting this at all is "blowing it out of proportion." Whether it's a dozen people or many, I do think that this is worth a back-page article in the major outlets because it's news.

I don't disagree that there will be some ultra-conservative sites that will try to to foment trouble, just as there are other sites that thus far are remaining silent. But I do still think it's news and that not reporting it also "shapes" rather than delivers information.

That's my question, I guess. It seems to me that reporting this at all is "blowing it out of proportion." Whether it's a dozen people or many, I do think that this is worth a back-page article in the major outlets because it's news. I don't disagree that there will be some ultra-conservative sites that will try to to foment trouble, just as there are other sites that thus far are remaining silent. But I do still think it's news and that not reporting it also "shapes" rather than delivers information.

I see a bit of shaping in your feeling this non starter should be reported when across the nation hundreds of never make it in here political posturing declarations go un-noticed. Just how did you hear of this march?

If they do, people will shi'ite themselves.

Oh, this thread is shia madness, I think we should leave it bahai'nd us. Suggestions that the march should be boycotted is a good Call iph it's heeded. And if it does fail please remember that Ayatolliah so!

Ahem, it is called the "Million Muslim March" :shrug:

I wrote to the President to ask him to defend gay marriage. I called it "The Million Signature Petition". I only got 5 others to sign, but I'm sure they treated it as if I had collected a million names.

Oh, this thread is shia madness, I think we should leave it bahai'nd us. Suggestions that the march should be boycotted is a good Call iph it's heeded. And if it does fail please remember that Ayatolliah so!

Eid have to agree with you. But think about who's gonna prophet from all the publicity the march will generate. If nothing else, it's sheiking up some good puns, for those who haven't jihad enough.

Here's the thing, the people organizing this are trying to elicit a negative response from conservative outlets so that they can decry the anti-Muslim sentiment contained within that response. They want people to be outraged by a Million Muslim March, rather than being outraged by the idiocy that the organizer has spewed in the past.

Now, there are some people who would be bothered by this even if the Million Muslim March was a march to denounce Muslim terrorism, and sadly they are all-too-often the most vocal people, but that doesn't negate the fact that these particular idiots deserve to be denounced as the idiots they are. Not because they are Muslims, but because they are ****ing assholes.

They won't be the first assholes to use 9/11 as a platform to promote truly idiotic, antisemitic truther nonsense, nor will they be the last assholes to do it, unfortunately. The fact that they happen to be Muslim assholes in this instance does not make it any more bothersome, it just means it'll get more press.

Eid have to agree with you. But think about who's gonna prophet from all the publicity the march will generate. If nothing else, it's sheiking up some good puns, for those who haven't jihad enough.

I was not going to participate in any of this punalicious play, but halal join in!

I dont think it should cause anyone to freak out. I DO think that if their intent was to show how peaceful and healthy they are then their choice of a date is extraordinarily foolish. But then...that isnt their intent. Their intent is to inflame, which also speaks volumes about who and what the event organizers and participants are.

My guess is there will be a few thousand people at best hiding under the protection of the constitution speaking out about how eeeevil America is and that will be the end of it for a while.

Are you absolutely sura bout that?

HuffPo thinks this is much ado about not much:

The event, first announced in January, is being organized by the American Muslim Political Action Committee (AMPAC), a fringe group led by M.D. Rabbi Alam, a professed 9/11 truther who has pushed controversial anti-Semitic conspiracy theories about the attacks. Last year, he made a failed bid for Missouri’s secretary of state, and his group has been doing little besides trying to attract national attention ever since.

AMPAC was finally successful on Thursday, when Breitbart News reported on the event, calling it "tasteless" and including an unrelated picture of hundreds of Muslims praying in front of the Capitol. Fox News later broke from their coverage of the violent military crackdown in Egypt, which has left nearly 600 dead and thousands injured, to give viewers an "alert" on the so-called "Million Muslim March," and going so far as to note that the total supporters of the event could currently be counted on two hands.

'Million Muslim March' Planned On 9/11 Anniversary Prompts Conservative Freakout

WaPo and the NY Times have not yet reported on this march. When I Googled, the only links were to conservative news sites such as the Washington Times and Newsmax. Is this because the story simply isn’t news? And is it fair to describe those who are reporting as freaking out?

Sounds like the old expression...."where are my people, for I am their leader and I must find them"....

Back
Top Bottom