• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Miller admits he was disciplined by borough over computer use

Chappy

User
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Excerpted from “Miller admits he was disciplined by borough over computer use; LUNCH HOUR: Polling performed on co-workers' computers; then their caches emptied to hide act.” By SEAN COCKERHAM, Anchorage Daily News, Published: October 19th, 2010 12:52 PM, Last Modified: October 20th, 2010 10:22 PM
[SIZE="+2"]R[/SIZE]epublican U.S. Senate nominee Joe Miller acknowledged Monday that he was disciplined for violating the Fairbanks North Star Borough's ethics policy in 2008 when he was a part-time borough lawyer. …

It's pretty rare a candidate admits he lied and then lied again and then finally comes clean but then refuses to talk about it until the documents are released to the public.

Joe Miller is a smuck.

and the Democratic side is clean?

"Sink appeared on MSNBC late Tuesday to explain that she wasn't to blame for the cheating flap — not the message a candidate wants to convey in the final week of a too-close-to-call race. She was less talkative to reporters earlier when she would only take three questions on the topic before hastily leaving the Capitol after a Cabinet meeting.

Sink said what happened was "clearly against the rules." But she said she wasn't at fault.

I just love canidates that admit they broke the rules, but somehow can't admit fault. It follows a pattern of some believing its always someone elses fault.

Cheating flap grows as Alex Sink's campaign winds down - St. Petersburg Times

Wow, mike2810 posts a totally irrelevant response to a thread about Joe Miller being reprimanded for ethics violations as recently as 2008. I'm shocked. Shocked!

Wow, mike2810 posts a totally irrelevant response to a thread about Joe Miller being reprimanded for ethics violations as recently as 2008. I'm shocked. Shocked!

The point is dems also violate rules. How come you never post any of them?

Last edited:
The point is dems also violate rules. How come you never post any of them?

Dems simply misunderstand... they're not at fault you see. They're always victims of unfair practices. :wink:

or vast right-wing conspiracies, like the one that got Clinton impeached :ninja:

That wasn't a conspiracy - that was an out in the open challenge that Republicans won with 2/3 majority vote I might add. Spunking on an intern behind the wife's back while on the phone with other country's should be discouraged... ya gotta draw the line somewhere at sometime no?

Can't wait to see how the Dems handle their ass-thumping next week.

Yeah, they supported Clinton no matter what, yet they still revel in these things like stain-on-an-intern's dress never happened.

chappy:
how come you rarely answer questions posted? I asked if you think the democratic party is clean?

I would still have to give this race to Miller because of Murkowski's "write-in" campaign(seriously, with a name like that, how the hell do you win a write-in?)

And another thread where our friends on the right immediately set out to divert from wrongdoing on their side. This is not a real big deal, but it is fun to watch the tactics used to counter threads like this.
Yeah, i mean those online voting polls are reallly serious stuff. I can see why he cleared the computers cache to cover it up.... he apologized and quit soon after. You're right, the guys not perfect and makes mistakes. Now what?

Why not call the FBI and have them start an investigation of a 2 year old incident, that had no illegality. Yeah, that'll swing the voters to the liberal in Alaska just in time for the election!

Yeah, i mean those online voting polls are reallly serious stuff. I can see why he cleared the computers cache to cover it up.... he apologized and quit soon after. You're right, the guys not perfect and makes mistakes. Now what?

Why not call the FBI and have them start an investigation of a 2 year old incident, that had no illegality. Yeah, that'll swing the voters to the liberal in Alaska just in time for the election!

redress-albums-stuffz-picture67112136-strawman.jpg

Amazing how you put so many words in my mouth...

chappy:
how come you rarely answer questions posted? I asked if you think the democratic party is clean?

I have a job. It takes up most of my waking time; sometime it takes up most of my resting time, too. So when I do spend some time on these forums, I try to make the most of it. I do my best to share original sources and interesting quotes I find.

Another thing, I try my best to stay on topic. Joe Miller's ethics violation is the topic in this thread. How does it impact the campaign? What other information do people see about this? There's plenty to contribute.

What do you think my attitude is on it?

Your not being clear - your first post is not consistent:

Redress said:
And another thread where our friends on the right immediately set out to divert from wrongdoing on their side. This is not a real big deal, but it is fun to watch the tactics used to counter threads like this.

So either your first post was incorrect or your baiting with the one I just reposted for you. Which is it? Not a big deal or... ?

I'm conducting a study, I'm going around threads to see if every topic eventually melts down into a conservative/republican vs liberal/democrat debate instead of staying on the topic. This one started melting on the second post!

Your not being clear - your first post is not consistent:

So either your first post was incorrect or your baiting with the one I just reposted for you. Which is it? Not a big deal or... ?

What he did was not a big deal and was handled. The reaction to attempt to divert from it is amusing.

Dems simply misunderstand... they're not at fault you see. They're always victims of unfair practices. :wink:

No, Ockam, that's not it. The Dems were doing the right thing and the law making their actions illegal is simply unjust. :rofl

A Candidate for Office Lied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O.... M.... G....!!!

Sorry guys can't get over the fact a politician would lie!!!!

Non Story.

Anyone wanna go for a beer? :2razz:

It's pretty rare a candidate admits he lied and then lied again and then finally comes clean but then refuses to talk about it until the documents are released to the public.

Joe Miller is a smuck.

Can you identify the lie for me here? Thanks.

Also, in case anyone is wondering what he actually did:

"One noon hour, on his own time at the borough, Joe participated in an online poll voting against Randy. He used four office computers in the office to do it, thinking this was his chance to boost numbers to get rid of Randy. He emptied the cache files on the computers so the users wouldn't know what he had done. When the users asked what had happened to their caches, (Miller) admitted to what he did. He was reprimanded and docked in pay for several days, but was not suspended or fired."

oh noes thats like basically the ethical equivalent of murder

Can you identify the lie for me here? Thanks. …

No problemo.

Excerpted from “Stress, lies and politics tainted Joe Miller's borough job, records show” By Jill Burke and Patti Epler, Alaska Dispatch, Oct 27, 2010
[SIZE="+2"]M[/SIZE]iller's scheme was revealed by his own attempts to cover his tracks. When he erased each computer's cache he also erased important passwords and IDs that the other attorneys needed to access legal research websites. Miller's co-workers knew something was wrong when they couldn't log on after lunch.

In the short span of time the employees were trying to get to the bottom of what had happened, Miller lied no less than four times:

• He told them he'd had to use another computer because he couldn't access the website he needed to get to on his.
  • He claimed he had to clear the cache or the website might block his access.
  • He initially denied being on more than one computer
  • And he claimed he was visiting a professor's website at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
In a written account of events offered by one of Miller's co-workers -- identifed in an earlier records release as "employee 3" but now known to be Jill Dolan, Miller's acting supervisor at the time -- Dolan states that the office staff felt none of what Miller was saying made any sense and that he was acting bizarre.

Miller had also been talking about threats he had recently received, but wouldn't offer specific details. Dolan also didn't trust his stories about the computer use because he had, some time earlier, been asking a lot of questions about accessing the computer servers and wanting to make sure they were safe from hackers.

He insisted his colleagues were "overreacting" and even attempted to shift the blame to them.

This is your man, lap him up.

What a dick!

No problemo.

What a dick!

I'm asking when he lied about this during his campaign, not whether he lied about it when it happened two years ago.

I'm glad you didn't argue with my point that the underlying incident is relatively minor.

I'm asking when he lied about this during his campaign, not whether he lied about it when it happened two years ago.

I'm glad you didn't argue with my point that the underlying incident is relatively minor.

No, he didn't lie about it during his campaign unless you consider lying by omission to be lying. He only acknowledged the written reprimand he received from his fellow office workers when the information was finally released to the public.

As to the seriousness of the incident, consider the nature of the behavior: albeit the underlying error was a foolish attempt to interfere with an online poll which he then attempted to cover up with a lie, and, when that was disproved, another lie, and, after that was disposed of, another lie and an accusation that far from being his fault it was the victims of his actions who were at fault. He finally confessed when he all his lies were proven false.

It was a minor incident that Joe Miller made into a major incident with a written reprimand. He didn't get fired but he didn't last much longer in that office either. I doubt he was missed.

I think the whole incident speaks to the kind of man Joe Miller is. He's definitely not the kind of guy you want around unsecured cookie jars and Washington is just chock full of unsecured cookie jars.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom