• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Millennials Are Starting to Shift to the Right

Like I said, it's behind a paywall. If you have a New York Times subscription, search "Nate Cohn with the New York Times" and it'll be on the first page.
So send me the link anyway.

The pendulum always swings eventually, especially after it has gone way too far in either direction.

A non-pay walled article discussing Cohen’s paywalled.
An interesting article, but with a problem--Levitz buys into the Left's caricature of Republican positions, rather than the actual Republican position. SFAIK, most Republicans aren't in favor of a national abortion ban--it would be nice, but a) it would be unconstitutional, and b) even if it was constitutional it isn't politically feasible and trying would just turn off voters for no gain. In a poll of Likely Voters last year, fully half of those that described themselves as pro-choice thought abortions should be banned after 12 weeks, a position anathema to the Democratic Party and that's actually become law in a number of Red states. As for Republicans being anti-clean energy, that's a lie as well--what Republicans are opposed to is high gas prices, high electricity prices, and rolling brownouts at best; the technology simply isn't there to replace fossil fuels yet. (The hypocrisy inherent in the rejection of nuclear power--the one clean energy source that is currently competitive--by most of the environmental movement doesn't help.)

What's that saying?

If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain​
If your world-view can fit on a bumper sticker you have no credibility.

I'll believe it when they stop feuding with Boomers.

Most of the insurrectionists are millennials.
That means that they are NOT "shifting TO the Right" because it actually means that they passed the US political Right eons ago and are now fully fascist and they reject the democratic process altogether.
Putin says he is interested in building villages for them, I say we deport them ASAP.

Haha. There was a time are used to think that the general trend in human history was one of gradual progression and growth- away from superstition, ignorance, injustice, tribalism, and bigotry- towards enlightenment, love, freedom, science, and justice.

Welp, there goes that theory. The arc of history, contrary to MLK’s fantasies, doesn’t necessarily have to arc in any direction.

Last edited:
Haha. There was a time are used to think that the general trend in human history was one of gradual progression and growth- away from superstition, ignorance, injustice, tribalism, and bigotry- towards enlightenment, love, freedom, science, and justice.

Welp, there goes that theory. The arc of history, contrary to MLK’s fantasies, doesn’t necessarily have to arc in any direction.
Yes, AntiFA and the rest of the "Progressives" make that obvious enough. So much for MLK's dreams of judging people by their merits rather than their skin color.

Yes, AntiFA and the rest of the "Progressives" make that obvious enough. So much for MLK's dreams of judging people by their merits rather than their skin color.
Yes. We should not talk about civil rights For minorities because we should only be judging people by the content of their character. That’s what MLK wanted and otherwise Antifa. 😂 😁👍

Today there is a study that says millennials are moving to the Right, tomorrow will be another saying they are moving Left.

Wake me up after the next election.

A million Gen Zs are turning 18 every day.

I’m not worried.

A non-pay walled article discussing Cohen’s paywalled.

And it’s not the huge news that righties want to hear.

While the very oldest Millenials are shifting more right - they aren’t interested in MAGA conservatism. They liked more traditional republicans. (Hint: so do a lot of people, but that breed seems to be dead)

And also, they’re still much more liberal than older generations. They aren’t going to be like Boomers as they age.

The shit GOP is selling line Trump and DeSantis won’t be something most Millenials are interested in buying.

That corresponds to my personal journey. While I consider myself a conservative, I am not drawn to either the lawless "burn the country down if we don't get our way" far right, or the "hate the gay away" culture war nonsense that seems to be infecting most Republicans at the moment.

e904b1dffd5aa28f4db408926f413ec7c50c2da14188949da33e34d0f5b56fd6.jpg

None that I know of.

That corresponds to my personal journey. While I consider myself a conservative, I am not drawn to either the lawless "burn the country down if we don't get our way" far right, or the "hate the gay away" culture war nonsense that seems to be infecting most Republicans at the moment.
I’d say that is most of the self-proclaimed “conservative” Millenials that I know, personally.

And when they call themselves “conservatives”…they immediately follow that with a “but not like…XYZ” to distance themselves from those factions.

(There are a lot of graphics in this story which makes it really difficult to cut and paste.)

This shift toward the right among the young voters who propelled Mr. Obama to victory 15 years ago is part of a larger pattern: Over the last decade, almost every cohort of voters under 50 has shifted toward the right, based on an analysis of thousands of survey interviews archived at the Roper Center.

It’s not necessarily a stunning finding. Political folklore has long held that voters become more conservative as they get older. But it is nonetheless at odds with a wave of recent reports or studies suggesting otherwise. The Financial Times, for instance, wrote that “millennials are shattering the oldest rule in politics” by not moving to the right as they age. Similarly, the Democratic data firm Catalist found that Democrats essentially haven’t lost ground among millennials and Gen Z over the last decade. These findings have helped spark a new wave of speculation about whether the long-awaited era of Democratic dominance might this time really be at hand.

But a different story emerges by tracking the same cohort of voters over time, rather than a whole generation with changing composition. The millennials of 2008 are not the same as those of 2016, for instance: Six additional years of even more heavily Democratic millennials became eligible to vote after the 2008 election, canceling out the slight Republican shift among older millennials.
The shift to the right appears largest among the oldest “young” voters — the older millennials who came of age in a very different political era from today. Many of the issues that drew young voters to the Democrats in 2004 or 2008 — like the Iraq War or same-sex marriage — may no longer be issues at all. Republicans may have even reversed their former disadvantage on some issues, whether by sometimes opposing foreign intervention, winning some voters with colorblind messaging on race, or by becoming the “anti-establishment” party.

In contrast, the shift to the right is more modest among younger voters — especially those who came of age after Mr. Obama, in the era of Black Lives Matter, the Bernie Sanders campaign and Donald J. Trump. Today’s politics are still mostly defined by the same issues that brought these voters to the Democrats. As long as that’s true, they may well remain by their side.
It’s possible — even likely, if Mr. Trump is the nominee — that the 2024 presidential election will be fought over issues similar to those in recent elections. If so, it could prove to be like the 2012 presidential election, a fleeting moment of political stability that allowed incremental demographic and generational shifts to seem to carry the day. It just might not last for long.

Last edited:
Yes. We should not talk about civil rights For minorities because we should only be judging people by the content of their character. That’s what MLK wanted and otherwise Antifa. 😂 😁👍
So when MLK spoke of judging people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin, he wasn't talking about civil rights? People being treated the same regardless of the color of their skin is exactly what civil rights are all about.

So you like Fascists. Got it. Who’s your favorite?
So thinking that people should be judged by their character and capabilities rather than their skin color means I like Fascists? Thanks for letting me know you aren't worth bothering with, added to my "ignore" list.

So when MLK spoke of judging people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin, he wasn't talking about civil rights? People being treated the same regardless of the color of their skin is exactly what civil rights are all about.

So thinking that people should be judged by their character and capabilities rather than their skin color means I like Fascists? Thanks for letting me know you aren't worth bothering with, added to my "ignore" list.
Yes. MLK never talked about race or civil rights and that’s why we shouldn’t either.👍😁

Yeah, Sonny Bono of "Sonny & Cher" was a great example of that--a typical Liberal Democrat until he tried to open a restaurant, he became a Republican after running head first into Palm Spring's local government bureaucracy.
Yet he didn't consider the chance that not everything was going to go his way. Liberals anticipate errors, and wear their helmets.

MLK was speaking aspirationally, it wasn't reality when he said it and it isn't reality today.

Yet he didn't consider the chance that not everything was going to go his way. Liberals anticipate errors, and wear their helmets.
“A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.” Bono learned the truth of O'Rourke's statement, and it made him a Republican.

MLK was speaking aspirationally, it wasn't reality when he said it and it isn't reality today.
It's much more of a reality now than it was then, and these days it's the Liberals fighting against it tooth and nail. It's the Conservatives that have made MLK's dream their own.

That would be stupid.
Can we have a chart to let us know what gen we belong to? Please, for the love of God, a quick reference guide. I know I am a boomer but for the rest I have to google around, again and again.
As for the topic, who in their right mind would vote R?

End of rant.

“A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.” Bono learned the truth of O'Rourke's statement, and it made him a Republican.

It's much more of a reality now than it was then, and these days it's the Liberals fighting against it tooth and nail. It's the Conservatives that have made MLK's dream their own.
It's wild that you can write this out with a straight face. The party of white nationalism is living out MLK's dream? Lol

Back
Top Bottom