• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Millennials Are Starting to Shift to the Right

Doug64

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I can't link to the original New York Times article, it's behind a paywall, but Conservatives have naturally picked up on it. According to the study the Times reported:

The data from the study found that nearly 50 percent of people born between 1980 and 1984 now vote Republican in presidential elections— a trend widely compared to the voting habits of the youngest Generation X voters who came before them. Moreover, despite millennials born between 1985 and 1994 still voting for the Democratic candidate, the data shows they have made definitive shifts towards the Right since 2012, the same year President Obama was re-elected....

According to Times estimates, while millennials backed Obama, only half of those voters supported President Joe Biden in 2020. Exit polls show an even broader shift, with "Biden winning by just 51-45 among voters who were 18 to 27 in 2008."

Going to be interesting to see what the current school generation do as they reach voting age. Will mass shootings, growing prejudice and hate politics, loss of bodily autonomy for women etc drive them towards the left and keep them there?

I can't link to the original New York Times article, it's behind a paywall, but Conservatives have naturally picked up on it. According to the study the Times reported:
a5f6c793-fc17-4bb4-81c3-28fcb159bb31_text.gif

@Gateman_Wen, the fact that it's the New York Times that's reporting it makes it more believable, considering how much I'd expect them to reject that conclusion if at all possible.

@Gateman_Wen, the fact that it's the New York Times that's reporting it makes it more believable, considering how much I'd expect them to reject that conclusion if at all possible.
Link to the article.

Link to the article.
Like I said, it's behind a paywall. If you have a New York Times subscription, search "Nate Cohn with the New York Times" and it'll be on the first page.

What's that saying?

If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain​

Even with the shift to the right that comes with age, republicans still can't win a national election in the popular vote. This is why gerrymandered state legislatures want to take elections out of the hands of voters. Our current pseudo-conservative republicans pose the greatest threat to our country since the Civil War.

"Millennials Are Starting to Shift to the Right"

Apparently gaining some real world experiences has consequences.

Going to be interesting to see what the current school generation do as they reach voting age. Will mass shootings, growing prejudice and hate politics, loss of bodily autonomy for women etc drive them towards the left and keep them there?
I would venture a guess of eighty percent will be lifelong democrats.

"Millennials Are Starting to Shift to the Right"

Apparently gaining some real world experiences has consequences.
Yeah, Sonny Bono of "Sonny & Cher" was a great example of that--a typical Liberal Democrat until he tried to open a restaurant, he became a Republican after running head first into Palm Spring's local government bureaucracy.

What's that saying?

If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain​
Poor Puddin' Ron. Loathed by MAGAs, loathed by anyone not conservative. Odds are not good.

It would be interesting to see the underlying data.

As people get older, some of them will move to the right. This is nothing new and has been the case for decades.
What remains to be seen is the kind of future the younger generations end up with, because one can understand the shift from liberal to more conservative views as people age in that the older generations are conserving their achievements and the systems that allowed for that to happen. If the younger generations are in worse financial situations than previous generations, there's a strong chance they will be far les interested in conserving the status quo.

Today there is a study that says millennials are moving to the Right, tomorrow will be another saying they are moving Left.

Wake me up after the next election.

What remains to be seen is the kind of future the younger generations end up with, because one can understand the shift from liberal to more conservative views as people age in that the older generations are conserving their achievements and the systems that allowed for that to happen. If the younger generations are in worse financial situations than previous generations, there's a strong chance they will be far les interested in conserving the status quo.
I think the problem for Republicans is that a lower percentage of young Gen X and Millennials are shifting right with age as compared to previous generations.

I hope such a thing is true. I don’t think it will be though. I went through my Facebook friends list and went through the people I know how high school and less then a quarter are married and even fewer have children. Single overgrown adolescents naturally support left politics and the left has made every effort to keep them in that strata

I think the problem for Republicans is that a lower percentage of young Gen X and Millennials are shifting right with age as compared to previous generations.
That would be an interesting study, with two questions. The first question is, is it true that a generation starts out more liberal and becomes more conservative over time, or is it rather that a generation starts out more opposite the previous generation and then tends toward the middle? Second question, if the first is true, is the current trend to be more conservative now less than in previous generations, more, or about the same?

A non-pay walled article discussing Cohen’s paywalled.

And it’s not the huge news that righties want to hear.

While the very oldest Millenials are shifting more right - they aren’t interested in MAGA conservatism. They liked more traditional republicans. (Hint: so do a lot of people, but that breed seems to be dead)

And also, they’re still much more liberal than older generations. They aren’t going to be like Boomers as they age.

The shit GOP is selling line Trump and DeSantis won’t be something most Millenials are interested in buying.

Back
Top Bottom