• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Military Success in Syria Gives Putin Upper Hand in U.S. Proxy War

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
“The U.S. is doing just enough to placate its allies and partners and says it is doing something, but does not seek to do what it takes to change conditions on the battlefield,” said Emile Hokayem, a Middle East analyst at the International Institute for Strategic Studies and an Assad critic.

Mr. Putin has achieved many of his larger goals — to prop up Mr. Assad’s government, retain access to the longtime Russian naval base on the Mediterranean Sea and use Syria as a proving ground for the most advanced Russian military technology.

Some military experts remain surprised that Mr. Putin took the risky step of fighting American-trained and equipped forces head on, but they also assess that his Syria gamble appears to be paying off.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/w...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

We,The USA, Lost to Putin in Syria.

We should be IRATE!

I'm fine with it. Syria is a Russian ally and they were invited into the country by the legitimate government. We're arming and training terrorists who want to establish a theocracy.

We are completely in the wrong when it comes to our actions in that country.

Wrong Headed is about the half of it.

Incompetent is the other.

Ya know.

:cowboy:

Wrong Headed is about the half of it.

Incompetent is the other.

Ya know.

:cowboy:

For some things in life, one must know the difference between right and wrong.

What we have done in Syria is wrong. All those Syrian refugees did not leave their country and go elsewhere because they wanted to, they left their homes because the homes had been destroyed by US bombs and artillery. We are as busy as a wicked beaver overthrowing governments and destroying countries. I'm ashamed of my government doing that.

Putin has come down on the side of law and order and legitimate government. We are very much the opposite.

For some things in life, one must know the difference between right and wrong.

What we have done in Syria is wrong. All those Syrian refugees did not leave their country and go elsewhere because they wanted to, they left their homes because the homes had been destroyed by US bombs and artillery. We are as busy as a wicked beaver overthrowing governments and destroying countries. I'm ashamed of my government doing that.

Putin has come down on the side of law and order and legitimate government. We are very much the opposite.
Color me shocked that you once again have nothing but praise for Russia and nothing but scorn for the US.

So you don't think Russia has been destroying quite a few homes and creating a ton of refugees. Maybe you should open you eyes a bit.

Color me shocked that you once again have nothing but praise for Russia and nothing but scorn for the US.

So you don't think Russia has been destroying quite a few homes and creating a ton of refugees. Maybe you should open you eyes a bit.

I really wish it were not this way. I really wish that MY government, governing under the US Constitution that I took an oath to protect and defend, governed in a lawful and honorable way, seeking to do the right thing and serve justice and honor. Yes, I wish it were that way. If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride, eh? ;)

But reality is very much the opposite of my wishes.

Reality is that my government does targeted assassinations on perhaps a weekly basis. My government has a long record of overthrowing legally elected governments, from Iran to Ukraine to Iraq and Libya and elsewhere.

In this case, the reality is that Russia under Putin is doing the honorable thing, defending an ally and legitimately elected leader in Assad.

Russia acts in a responsible and honorable manner, we are very much the opposite.

well, we'll see how it goes. i'm guessing another half-collapsed warzone open for profiteering for the forseeable future.

I really wish it were not this way. I really wish that MY government, governing under the US Constitution that I took an oath to protect and defend, governed in a lawful and honorable way, seeking to do the right thing and serve justice and honor. Yes, I wish it were that way. If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride, eh? ;)

But reality is very much the opposite of my wishes.

Reality is that my government does targeted assassinations on perhaps a weekly basis. My government has a long record of overthrowing legally elected governments, from Iran to Ukraine to Iraq and Libya and elsewhere.

In this case, the reality is that Russia under Putin is doing the honorable thing, defending an ally and legitimately elected leader in Assad.

Russia acts in a responsible and honorable manner, we are very much the opposite.

Coming from someone who thinks that the US government brought down the twin towers with nuclear bombs I don't doubt that is the way you see things. Unfortunately that has little bearing on the truth.

I'm fine with it. Syria is a Russian ally and they were invited into the country by the legitimate government. We're arming and training terrorists who want to establish a theocracy.

We are completely in the wrong when it comes to our actions in that country.

What makes Assad legitimate?

Well lets see, only three candidates were actually allowed to run, mainly due to the restriction of needing the support of 35 members of parliament before running. This may seem innocent enough but who do you think decides who can run for parliament?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_presidential_election,_2014#Eligibility_criteria

They do things differently in other cultures including the middle east. That "blue thumb" thing has always amused me, but I guess it's what they are used to. Judging from the fraud and deception practiced by our 2 parties, I'm not sure we are in a position to judge what qualifies as "democracy".

Efforts by the west to overthrow legit governments is criminal, yet we carry on doing it. Right v. wrong?

Back
Top Bottom