• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Military Sours on Trump

I'm sure it didn't go over well with the troops in Afghanistan when their CIC never called out Putin's bounties on their heads.

Oh, come on. He had golfing to do. And there are all those tweets to thumb. And Fox News to watch. I mean, he can't do everything.

So they hated him all along? Even better.

And "slight"? Unfavorable to favorable among the officers is almost two-to-one. About as high as minorities.

Trump has proved to be the anti-war president so what a bunch of war hawking officers think really doesn't matter much.

Trump has proved to be the anti-war president so what a bunch of war hawking officers think really doesn't matter much.

Frankly if you are an officer, you get a lot faster rank, more important promotions than during peace times and war causes the military to feel needed.

I recall when my Next door, at that time, neighbors son went to Army OCS to be an officer in the Vietnam war. He left CA as a 2nd Lt and not a heck of a lot later was a Major.

I'm sure it didn't go over well with the troops in Afghanistan when their CIC never called out Putin's bounties on their heads.

I wanted to see proof of that. Did you ever see a bit of official proof?

Trump hasn't exactly been a friend of the military. He's attacked the military and military personnel when they didn't match lock-step with him. He insulted all POWs while attacking McCain. Trump gives not one **** about our military and the courageous Americans committed to it.

I thought Trump was interesting until he attacked McCain for being a bad military man because he got caught. That really soured me on him. Then he attacked a gold star family to boot. That received a lot of talk before and after my VFW and American Legion meetings. I actually thought back then that the Democrats might actually win the military veterans vote. Then the democrats nominate Hillary Clinton which put an end to that thought.

Frankly if you are an officer, you get a lot faster rank, more important promotions than during peace times and war causes the military to feel needed.

I recall when my Next door, at that time, neighbors son went to Army OCS to be an officer in the Vietnam war. He left CA as a 2nd Lt and not a heck of a lot later was a Major.

Officers want Biden because his record shows there hasn't been a U.S. military intervention that he didn't support.

Wonder if they asked as many troops to report as say 100 of them? And did the poll happen where the poll taker knew there were a ton of Democrats?

Paragraphs three and four from the linked article:

But the Military Times Polls, surveying active-duty troops in partnership with the Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF) at Syracuse University, have seen a steady drop in troops’ opinion of the commander in chief since his election four years ago.

In the latest results — based on 1,018 active-duty troops surveyed in late July and early August — nearly half of respondents (49.9 percent) had an unfavorable view of the president, compared to about 38 percent who had a favorable view. Questions in the poll had a margin of error of up to 2 percent.

Maybe they don't know how to conduct a poll. Rest your hopes and dreams on that.

How do you explain his support for the stupid Iraq War and decision to get out of the Iran nuclear deal?

Trump has diminished our national security and made us more vulnerable to attack. Why just the other day, Russia was conducting aggressive war games just off the coast of Alaska and Trump didn't say a word.

How do you explain his support for the stupid Iraq War and decision to get out of the Iran nuclear deal?

Prove Trump supported the stupid Iraq war, and getting us out of Obama's Iran puke deal was one of the best things he ever did for U.S.

Trump is the anti-war president, whereas hawk Joe Biden record shows otherwise.

Trump has diminished our national security and made us more vulnerable to attack. Why just the other day, Russia was conducting aggressive war games just off the coast of Alaska and Trump didn't say a word.

He literally didn't say a word, but his military most certainly did.

Why are you lying? Under this president's command, we were there in a NY minute...
Russian sub, aircraft edge close to Alaska amid war games

Prove Trump supported the stupid Iraq war, and getting us out of Obama's Iran puke deal was one of the best things he ever did for U.S.

What's awesome, of course, is that nobody in the UN can be arsed to bring sanctions back.

Trump fails at everything he does.

What's awesome, of course, is that nobody in the UN can be arsed to bring sanctions back.

Trump fails at everything he does.

Make sure you say the above if he gets reelected. :mrgreen:

finally

they've probably figured out that they're pawns to Donald Trump.

After a presidential debate, I went to fact checker websites. Among the lies he was caught saying: "I was against the (Iraq) war." The fact checkers proved him wrong by searching his Twitter account, which had a post fully supporting the war when it began.

He literally didn't say a word, but his military most certainly did.

He's way better off when he doesn't say a word. Unlike this incident, for example, which took place in the Tank, in the Pentagon:

“I want to win,” he said. “We don’t win any wars anymore . . . We spend $7 trillion, everybody else got the oil and we’re not winning anymore.”
Trump by now was in one of his rages. He was so angry that he wasn’t taking many breaths. All morning, he had been coarse and cavalier, but the next several things he bellowed went beyond that description. They stunned nearly everyone in the room, and some vowed that they would never repeat them. Indeed, they have not been reported until now.
“I wouldn’t go to war with you people,” Trump told the assembled brass.
Addressing the room, the commander in chief barked, “You’re a bunch of dopes and babies.”

For a president known for verbiage he euphemistically called “locker room talk,” this was the gravest insult he could have delivered to these people, in this sacred space. The flag officers in the room were shocked. Some staff began looking down at their papers, rearranging folders, almost wishing themselves out of the room. A few considered walking out. They tried not to reveal their revulsion on their faces, but questions raced through their minds. “How does the commander in chief say that?” one thought. “What would our worst adversaries think if they knew he said this?”

This was a president who had been labeled a “draft dodger” for avoiding service in the Vietnam War under questionable circumstances. Trump was a young man born of privilege and in seemingly perfect health: six feet two inches with a muscular build and a flawless medical record. He played several sports, including football. Then, in 1968 at age 22, he obtained a diagnosis of bone spurs in his heels that exempted him from military service just as the United States was drafting men his age to fulfill massive troop deployments to Vietnam.

Tillerson in particular was stunned by Trump’s diatribe and began visibly seething. For too many minutes, others in the room noticed, he had been staring straight, dumbfounded, at Mattis, who was speechless, his head bowed down toward the table. Tillerson thought to himself, “Gosh darn it, Jim, say something. Why aren’t you saying something?”
But, as he would later tell close aides, Tillerson realized in that moment that Mattis was genetically a Marine, unable to talk back to his commander in chief, no matter what nonsense came out of his mouth.

Others at the table noticed Trump’s stream of venom had taken an emotional toll. So many people in that room had gone to war and risked their lives for their country, and now they were being dressed down by a president who had not. They felt sick to their stomachs. Tillerson told others he thought he saw a woman in the room silently crying. He was furious and decided he couldn’t stand it another minute. His voice broke into Trump’s tirade, this one about trying to make money off U.S. troops.
“No, that’s just wrong,” the secretary of state said. “Mr. President, you’re totally wrong. None of that is true.”

Tillerson’s father and uncle had both been combat veterans, and he was deeply proud of their service.

“The men and women who put on a uniform don’t do it to become soldiers of fortune,” Tillerson said. “That’s not why they put on a uniform and go out and die . . . They do it to protect our freedom.”
There was silence in the Tank. Several military officers in the room were grateful to the secretary of state for defending them when no one else would. The meeting soon ended and Trump walked out, saying goodbye to a group of servicemen lining the corridor as he made his way to his motorcade waiting outside. Mattis, Tillerson, and Cohn were deflated. Standing in the hall with a small cluster of people he trusted, Tillerson finally let down his guard.

“He’s a f---ing moron,” the secretary of state said of the president.

Yup. And a disgrace. And no friend to the military.

I don't think he has the intestinal fortitude to apologize.

Not a chance. You have sullied every Marine I ever met with you posts. Apologize to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Trump was interesting until he attacked McCain for being a bad military man because he got caught. That really soured me on him. Then he attacked a gold star family to boot. That received a lot of talk before and after my VFW and American Legion meetings. I actually thought back then that the Democrats might actually win the military veterans vote. Then the democrats nominate Hillary Clinton which put an end to that thought.

McCain who I voted for against Obama volunteered to remain a POW.

The myth that Trump attacked a gold star family still lives I see.

Back
Top Bottom