• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Military Grade

pinqy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
That phrase often shows up in discussions of which firearms should be banned or strictly controlled. The implication being that weapons that fit military specifications are more lethal/deadly/powerful, or otherwise deserving of more or stricter restrictions than other weapons.

Can anyone (who supports this distinction) explain this rationale?

That phrase often shows up in discussions of which firearms should be banned or strictly controlled. The implication being that weapons that fit military specifications are more lethal/deadly/powerful, or otherwise deserving of more or stricter restrictions than other weapons.

I don't know exactly, but if something can kill, maim, and injure nearly 600 people in less than an hour, it probably has no role in self defense and is more likely to be a military weapon. Because no one needs all this just for "self defense":

1663191152834.png1663191240674.png1663191200204.png

No, but can we agree that military weapons are designed to kill humans?

Sure. Can we agree that so are many non-military weapons?
and that weapons designed to kill things bigger and tougher than humans are actually better at killing humans?
Those bigger weapons are less efficient than the smaller ones.

It's basic engineering. Performance Requirements drives technical specifications. The requirement may be to mow down the 5 enemy troops at 150 yards within 10 seconds so you end up with a technical specification of a M-16.

I don't know exactly, but if something can kill, maim, and injure nearly 600 people in less than an hour, it probably has no role in self defense
Why not? I’ll agree that a weapon that can kill 600, or even 60, or even 6 at once, is a danger and should be regulated, because it is too difficult to ensure only hostile are killed. But that a weapon CAN be used to quickly kill many individuals over time does not mean that it cannot be used for self defense responsibly.
and is more likely to be a military weapon.
Nope. You linked to the Vegas shooter…bump stocks are definitely not military.
And you’re asking the question backwards…the question should be “Is a military weapon more likely to kill 600 people (one at a time) in an hour than a non military weapon. The answer is no.
Because no one needs all this just for "self defense":
Why does that matter? Is it your belief that someone who owns a weapon more than adequate for self defense is more likely to use it in an offensive manner?

No, but can we agree that military weapons are designed to kill humans?
Weapons used by the military are intended to kill humans. This includes weapons designed for civilian use and adopted by the military for military purposes like the Remington 700.

Those bigger weapons are less efficient than the smaller ones.
True. Handguns are used to kill over ten thousand victims every year, and knives are used to murder about four times as many people each year as "the bigger weapons". Which is interesting in that the handgun is the primary self defense weapon in use in the US and still leads for number of homicide victims. It's like that last part has no Constitutional impact on the first part.

I don't know exactly, but if something can kill, maim, and injure nearly 600 people in less than an hour, it probably has no role in self defense and is more likely to be a military weapon. Because no one needs all this just for "self defense":
True, no one will every likely need to shoot 600 people in self defense, but that doesn't mean that the weapons aren't useful for self defense.

That shooter could have killed more people with bolt action rifles or one of the two aircraft he owned.

It's basic engineering. Performance Requirements drives technical specifications. The requirement may be to mow down the 5 enemy troops at 150 yards within 10 seconds so you end up with a technical specification of a M-16.
That definitely wasn't a specification of the M16 or any other service rifle.

How do you figure?
I would think that weapons designed to kill bigger animals have bigger projectiles that are not designed to be fired rapidly.

Why does that matter? Is it your belief that someone who owns a weapon more than adequate for self defense is more likely to use it in an offensive manner?

Well then obviously your objection is not to the AR15 being labeled a military grade weapon; it is wondering why even military grade weapons have to be regulated for the public. It’s a very different question.

I guess one way you might see the other point of view is to consider that all potentially hazardous equipment, from cars and trucks to chemicals and bulldozers, are regulated based on a consideration of utility versus public safety. You could put industrial grade cleaners and bleach and other powerful chemicals on sale to the public. You could get rid of a lot of regulations on what kind of cars are considered street legal and who can drive them as well. But you would see a lot more injuries resulting from that. So with all these potentially hazardous tools we compromise to balance the utility considerations versus public safety considerations.

I am not sure why this particular class of potentially hazardous equipment we call firearms should be any different. At some point public safety considerations outweigh their utility.

Well then obviously your objection is not to the AR15 being labeled a military grade weapon; it is wondering why even military grade weapons have to be regulated for the public. It’s a very different question.

I guess one way you might see the other point of view is to consider that all potentially hazardous equipment, from cars and trucks to chemicals and bulldozers, are regulated based on a consideration of utility versus public safety. You could put industrial grade cleaners and bleach and other powerful chemicals on sale to the public. You could get rid of a lot of regulations on what kind of cars are considered street legal and who can drive them as well. But you would see a lot more injuries resulting from that. So with all these potentially hazardous toolstli we compromise to balance the utility considerations versus public safety considerations.

I am not sure why this particular class of potentially hazardous equipment we call firearms should be any different. At some point public safety considerations outweigh their utility.
"Utility" is not a Constitutional concept.

How would you measure utility vs public safety?

Military grade always just meant "extra tough" to me. Maybe just me.

This motherboard was advertised as "military grade."

Tuf_Trooper_B85-board.jpg

And this laptop:
1663201250378.jpeg

And this flashlight:
1663201428681.png

I guess one way you might see the other point of view is to consider that all potentially hazardous equipment, from cars and trucks to chemicals and bulldozers, are regulated based on a consideration of utility versus public safety. You could put industrial grade cleaners and bleach and other powerful chemicals on sale to the public. You could get rid of a lot of regulations on what kind of cars are considered street legal and who can drive them as well. But you would see a lot more injuries resulting from that. So with all these potentially hazardous tools we compromise to balance the utility considerations versus public safety considerations.

Firearms are regulated.

Can you explain the calculation of utility vs public safety reference the regulations on possessing a bulldozer?

How about reference the regulations on possessing a motorcycle?

View attachment 67412759View attachment 67412761View attachment 67412760

Does that mean medium size cargo trucks are "military weapons?"
1663205079241.png
1663205135713.png

Firearms are regulated.

You say that like it's a good thing and not unconstitutional. Can you please explain how we do it to poster #18 now? He can't imagine how we do it without being unconstitutional.

Back
Top Bottom