• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Military funerals/Veterans Cemetaries

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Has anyone dealt with the VA for funeral arrangements at a veterans cemetery? I'm planning a ceremony for my father and haven't been able to get through to the proper people at the VA to arrange things. My understanding is that I need to fax in his 214 and then contact someone to make arrangements but it seems like the phone number you need to call is eternally busy.

Has anyone dealt with the VA for funeral arrangements at a veterans cemetery? I'm planning a ceremony for my father and haven't been able to get through to the proper people at the VA to arrange things. My understanding is that I need to fax in his 214 and then contact someone to make arrangements but it seems like the phone number you need to call is eternally busy.

I would think your funeral director would have information about this.

Edit: Or call the military cemetery at which you want to bury your dad.

I'm sorry for your loss, Luther.

I don't remember very well, but when my family made arrangements for my grandfather "WW2 vet", most of the planning was made through the funeral director I believe. If that doesn't yield any information, perhaps a call to the facility performing the burial service?

I would think your funeral director would have information about this.

Edit: Or call the military cemetery at which you want to bury your dad.

I'm sorry for your loss, Luther.

There isn't going to be a funeral director. Pop passed away about a year and a half ago and had his remains donated to the local medical center for research. I just got a letter last Friday that they were done with the remains and I'd planned on having him interred at a local veterans cemetery. I called them earlier today and just got a recording that I needed to contact the VA. According to the website I need to fax in his discharge paperwork and then call for scheduling. Unfortunately, when I call for scheduling the phone is always busy. I'm just a little antsy because to get this all done I need to get with folks back in NY to figure out when everyone is available and I'm on a fairly limited schedule for other reasons.

There isn't going to be a funeral director. Pop passed away about a year and a half ago and had his remains donated to the local medical center for research. I just got a letter last Friday that they were done with the remains and I'd planned on having him interred at a local veterans cemetery. I called them earlier today and just got a recording that I needed to contact the VA. According to the website I need to fax in his discharge paperwork and then call for scheduling. Unfortunately, when I call for scheduling the phone is always busy. I'm just a little antsy because to get this all done I need to get with folks back in NY to figure out when everyone is available and I'm on a fairly limited schedule for other reasons.

Luther, who is going to transport the remains? You can't do it.

Luther, who is going to transport the remains? You can't do it.

The folks at the Med Center said they could send the remains directly to the facility. My original plan was to have my cousin pick them up (he's local to the center) but it seems that's no longer necessary.

Sorry for your loss.

I'd start with your VA regional office:

Regional Office Web Sites - Benefits

You can also try contacting the county Veterans Services coordinator of the county he's being buried in. (S)he may be able to help.

You can also try the local VFW, DAV, VVA or American Legion.

Are you going to do a military honors funeral or do you just want to bury him in a VA cemetery.

See if your congressman or senator can help you get through. They have special legislative numbers to reach people that bypass a lot of the redtape.

Sorry for your loss.

I'd start with your VA regional office:

Regional Office Web Sites - Benefits

You can also try contacting the county Veterans Services coordinator of the county he's being buried in. (S)he may be able to help.

You can also try the local VFW, DAV, VVA or American Legion.

Are you going to do a military honors funeral or do you just want to bury him in a VA cemetery.

The idea is to have honors. The cemetery says that they provide the service and my cousin is with the Patriot Guard. It's not going to be a huge deal but I do want to show proper respect.

Did you ever get in touch with who you needed to?

Did you ever get in touch with who you needed to?

Thanks for asking!

Kind of...I did finally get through but it turned out that I needed information that was at home while I was at the office so I had to call back and I'm still working that issue. I did get to talk about what was involved and it's kind of nice. They provide a headstone or plaque and a flag ceremony which is about all we wanted anyway. My cousin will provide the Patriot Guard and then beer and wings are on me!

Thanks for asking!

Kind of...I did finally get through but it turned out that I needed information that was at home while I was at the office so I had to call back and I'm still working that issue. I did get to talk about what was involved and it's kind of nice. They provide a headstone or plaque and a flag ceremony which is about all we wanted anyway. My cousin will provide the Patriot Guard and then beer and wings are on me!

Glad you got it all figured out.

Finally got things wrapped up. I have to say that once you finally get in touch with the right people they're great to work with.

Back
Top Bottom