• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Military coup in Turkey

Chagos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Can't help but feel relieved about this coup. Hope it will be successful and the islamofascists get taken out of the government. This could be the solution to many problems with Turkey lately.

European sub-forum for Turkey?
Yes.

You want to argue continents when even Turkey considers itself part of Europe? Should occurrences East of the Bosporus go into Asia and just those West of it into Europe?

Erdogan is an Islamist with dreams of another Ottoman Empire. He has stated that democracy is just a way to get there. " that democracy is a train that you get off once you reach your destination". It is clear where is he is going, hopefully he will never get there.

Can't help but feel relieved about this coup. Hope it will be successful and the islamofascists get taken out of the government. This could be the solution to many problems with Turkey lately.
But, no matter how much the Erdogan government has been undermining democracy in our eyes, it was elected democratically. Repeatedly.

We shouldn't be supporting military coups anywhere just as we shouldn't have done in Egypt.

And you have at least half of the Turkish people not supporting this move.

No cause for belief when the devil is being driven out with Satan.

I agree with the Islamo-fascist tag just as much as I did with it being applied to Mursi.

But, no matter how much the Erdogan government has been undermining democracy in our eyes, it was elected democratically. Repeatedly.

We shouldn't be supporting military coups anywhere just as we shouldn't have done in Egypt.

I agree with the Islamo-fascist tag just as much as I did with it being applied to Mursi.

How much help did Spain give to Egypt? I think Google might have done more.

Was Morsi worse than the man who replaced him in Egypt?

I disagree with this, as democracy is flawed, sometimes more than other types of government.
This type of check in Turkey is a risk but it has generally been good and necessary.

While there doesn't seem to be any violence going on, I hope that Medusa is OK.

Anything that keeps the militant Islamic extremists away from power, land and control would appear to be worth considering, if that's what this is about or not, we'll have to see.

Well, I do hope that the situation remains peaceful and stable in Turkey, and for the sake of the civil population, there won't be violence.

But I'm not sure what you're saying -- do you agree that both Erdogan and Mursi were/are islamofascists, or do you disagree?

That a government was democratically or legally elected doesn't mean a thing. The Nazis got power by perfectly legal means, too. Just because someone enjoys support by a majority, it says nothing whatsoever about his respect for freedom and democracy.

There is not the slightest doubt that Erdogan's goal is an islamist tyranny. He not just openly declared that "democracy is not the goal, but the way to reach our goals". In the past months, he has systematically abolished the most basic democratic standards, he was about turning Turkey into an islamofascist dictatorship, and he supported and cooperated with IS. The coup against him is just as justified as a coup against Hitler would have been.

You will find that quite often governments which oppress their people are voted in by those same people, often in landslide elections. North Korea, for example, has elections every 5 years and the Worker's Party has been remarkably consistent in their popularity.

Last edited:
You will find that quite often governments which oppress their people are voted in by those same people, often is landslide elections. North Korea, for example, has elections every 5 years and the Worker's Party has been remarkably consistent in their popularity.

Because said governments dominate the people they rule over into a collective psychosis akin to Stockholm Syndrome times a billion.

This just shows how the REAL POWER can be different than the voters.... IF low IQ voters votes in crooks then the conservative military may step in to solve the problem of low IQ's voting

Picking PENCE helps not so much to win THIS ELECTION but to demand States Rights or secession of 30 CONSERVATIVE STATES OF AMERICA

PENCE brings in midwest conservatives to help the southern states with this issue and Trump himself helps somewhat in the northeast states conservatives....Trump played chess and has checkmated the liberals by going strong for the vets.. law enforcement.... and the MILTARY.... Trump has all the help he needs to make all this a REALITY

Because said governments dominate the people they rule over into a collective psychosis akin to Stockholm Syndrome times a billion.

My guess is that "Stockholm Syndrome" greatly exaggerates what tends to happen. It's much easier to just have all the votes counted in a tiny room surrounded by your private security.

~...................But I'm not sure what you're saying -- do you agree that both Erdogan and Mursi were/are islamofascists, or do you disagree?........~

Oh, I dislike him (and Mursi before) as much as you do. He's on the point of throwing democracy out of Turkey altogether. I just don't see the military re-instating it. In coups of the past they never did.

I disagree with this, as democracy is flawed, sometimes more than other types of government.
This type of check in Turkey is a risk but it has generally been good and necessary.
For us, yes.

Back
Top Bottom