• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Military coup in Turkey

My guess is that "Stockholm Syndrome" greatly exaggerates what tends to happen. It's much easier to just have all the votes counted in a tiny room surrounded by your private security.

Greetings, Lutherf. :2wave:

:agree: It just makes things easier all around - no need to do recounts and other boring, time-wasting chores! :lamo

Last edited:
If the coup doesn't work then Erdogan will crack down severely on his opponents and make Turkey even more oppressive.

If the coup succeeds there's the risk the military won't give up it's power to democracy.

It doesn't look like a good outcome for the Turkish people, either way.

\

Greetings, Lutherf. :2wave:

:agree: It just makes things easier all around - no need to do recounts and other boring, time-wasting chores! :lamo

It's enough work to be a top notch dictator so why not make things a little easier for yourself where you can!

I hope Medusa is ok.

She was viewing this thread about an hour ago but my understanding is that social media (and likely internet in general) is a little erratic in parts of Turkey right now.

The coup is over.

I will never look at the Turkish gov't the same way again after this.............

Gunfire still being reported ~ coup reported as over but not all elements have been dealt with.

Erdogan should heed this as a warning that his attempts to erode the secular nature of Turkey will not go unchallenged. On the other hand, his popularity brought people out to stand in front of tanks and guns. I don't think he'll stop trying to take Turkey where he wants to as he will just go slower now and make sure there is no opposition to his plans.

Gunfire still being reported ~ coup reported as over but not all elements have been dealt with.

Erdogan should heed this as a warning that his attempts to erode the secular nature of Turkey will not go unchallenged. On the other hand, his popularity brought people out to stand in front of tanks and guns. I don't think he'll stop trying to take Turkey where he wants to as he will just go slower now and make sure there is no opposition to his plans.

Turkey will go all out dictatorship now. Erdogan will use this failed coup to kill off (literally) the opposition and finish of the purge in the military he started when he took office back in the day. It is a sad day for Turkey as the only thing that guaranteed democracy in Turkey was the military and after this it will be more than castrated. Loyalists to Erdogan will be in even more power in the military. I would not be surprised that one of the first things that Erdogan will do, is cancel future elections.

Over a 100 people have been killed according to all reports, that number will probably go way higher than this, Erdogan supporters were lynching soldiers who took part in the coup in the streets.

Over a 100 people have been killed according to all reports, that number will probably go way higher than this, Erdogan supporters were lynching soldiers who took part in the coup in the streets.

Ugh.......

Yeah, the numbers are surely going to be greater than currently stated. As a side note, Yildirim said that nearly 3,000 members of the Army have been detained.

His mental costume being what it is, he'll see it all as confirmation. To him democracy is something where the majority has the say and the minority has to suck it. And be walloped if it doesn't. Accordingly he's seeking majority at any cost and seeking to increase it in the same manner. If anyone were to tell him that this is as opposed to democratic principles as can be, he'd perceive that as lunacy.

Impossible as it may seem, he'll now be even more difficult for others to deal with.

All that said, the only legit way of getting rid of him is the ballot box and not an uprising of the military. That means it's also up to the Turkish people. If they choose not to take that road they'll wind up eventually with it no longer being open.

To reiterate an inane but nevertheless valid soundbite: everybody gets the government they deserve.

According to what Dutch media writes, about 2745 judges have been kicked out of office, 5 members of the High Council of judges and prosecutors have been kicked out of office.

It sounds like Erdogan is using this revolt to cleanse judges who he disagrees with so that he can put his own judges into office.

According to what Dutch media writes, about 2745 judges have been kicked out of office, 5 members of the High Council of judges and prosecutors have been kicked out of office.

It sounds like Erdogan is using this revolt to cleanse judges who he disagrees with so that he can put his own judges into office.

Hooray! That's totally going to make things better....for Erdogan. And him only.

Can't find anything on Russia's reaction.
"We confirm a readiness for joining in constructive work with the lawfully elected leadership of the Republic of Turkey, to promote bilateral relations to the benefit of the peoples of our countries, for the search of efficient ways to solve urgent international issues primarily linked with anti-terror fight. We call on the authorities and people of Turkey to solve the existing problems without violence, and to respect the constitutional order."

The usual Kremlin pap for the international press. Moscow has no respect whatsoever for constitutional order.

I've read reports of over 200 dead. Erdogan says his coup adversaries will pay a heavy price and his PM says political/military purges are in order.

Turkey under Erdogan is on its way to becoming either an authoritarian state or a failed state.

I was really hoping they'd assassinated or exiled Erdogan before they announced their coup to the world. Sadly, the military is quite stupid and so far it seems that they botched this coup.

There's a lot of fascism in the world right now. It should disturb everyone.

I was really hoping they'd assassinated or exiled Erdogan before they announced their coup to the world. Sadly, the military is quite stupid and so far it seems that they botched this coup.

Erdogan says the hotel he stayed at was bombed after he left.

So you hate fascism but you supported this military coup? :lamo

Back
Top Bottom