• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mike Rowe on record 4.5M quitting their jobs: This will impact ‘every single American’

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

It's time to shine the light on the free college nonsense, and the myth that the trades are no place to be. If we're going to have free college, then we need free trade schools. You can earn a good living, and be prosperous as a trademan if you get the right certifications, and apply yourself. You won't have to worry about getting paid ONLY minimum wage, because you'll never be close.

What's happening in my industry is people are quitting certain jobs for higher paying jobs.

It sucks on my end, the employer, but I can't blame them.

It's time to shine the light on the free college nonsense, and the myth that the trades are no place to be. If we're going to have free college, then we need free trade schools. You can earn a good living, and be prosperous as a trademan if you get the right certifications, and apply yourself. You won't have to worry about getting paid ONLY minimum wage, because you'll never be close.

Why would you believe anything Mike Rowe said? Isn't he the RWNJ "Oilsplainer" guy?

The budget resolution would allow students to enroll in community college at no cost, among other measures.

Why would you believe anything Mike Rowe said? Isn't he the RWNJ "Oilsplainer" guy?
He’s not wrong. We’ve sold college as the way to a better life and it just isn’t so.
First college in isn’t appropriate for everyone. And second you don’t need to have a college degree to make a good living. It’s anecdotal but I know electrical engineers who’ve quit the while collar jobs and become union electricians because it pays better.

We also have lots of kids graduating college with skills that no one wants.

He’s not wrong. We’ve sold college as the way to a better life and it just isn’t so.
First college in isn’t appropriate for everyone. And second you don’t need to have a college degree to make a good living. It’s anecdotal but I know electrical engineers who’ve quit the while collar jobs and become union electricians because it pays better.

We also have lots of kids graduating college with skills that no one wants.
It's not "we", it's for profit schools supporters like Betsy DeVos. Conservative "Almighty dollar" types.

I don't have any problem with Rowe talking about tradesman jobs. It is a concerning issue. But that snippet video from Varney's show doesn't say a thing about how $4.5 million people quitting or changing jobs has anything to do with that.

The fact is, it doesn't. A lot of those people quitting or changing jobs are doing that more because of inflation than anything else. They are trying to get BETTER PAYING jobs so they can keep up.

But the story is more complicated than that. There are a lot of factors into why there are 4.5 million people quitting/changing their jobs.

This article talks about it: https://theconservativetreehouse.co...total-quits-rate-now-4-5-million/#more-224294

It’s not a single factor leading to this quits rate data. As you can see, there is a snowball effect inside the data. Wages earned, including any pay raises, have been chewed up by much higher inflation. When we look back upon this economy in a year, I am quite certain we will identify the inflection point as June of 2021. That’s when things peaked and started to go down.

Keep in mind, inflation has a big impact on job turnover. When people feel inflation, they look for pay raises. Larger employers are slower to respond to pay raises driven by worker needs, and many have very structured pay raise guidance.

Ex. if a worker needs a raise (immediate inflation driven), and the boss or organization is less responsive (structured pay raise schedule or performance review), the worker can get a faster pay raise by quitting their employer and going to work at a higher entry wage rate with another firm. If the job market is tight, the worker can make much more doing this. This is called job-jumping. In my opinion, this is a big factor right now.​

Last edited:
I don't have any problem with Rowe talking about tradesman jobs. It is a concerning issue. But that snippet video from Varney's show doesn't say a thing about how $4.5 million people quitting or changing jobs has anything to do with that.

The fact is, it doesn't. Those people quitting or changing jobs are doing that more because of inflation than anything else. They are trying to get BETTER PAYING jobs so they can keep up.

Not really... mostly its because employers generally treated people like shit over the last decade and the labor shortage suddenly has the employee in the drivers seat and they no longer need to put up with bullshit like no raises, etc.

Every person I've ever talked to who has advocated for free college has fully agreed that we should make trade schools free as well. It was part of the Sanders plan and a few other democrat nominee plans from what I remember.

This is a fantasy. The right wing keep insisting that liberals don't think that becoming an electrician or plumber is a good decision or something that someone should be proud of. I've yet to meet a democrat that thinks this.

College should not be free but it should not be a profit center either. Higher education does not just benefit the student; it is an investment in America's future.

The trades are a great route but they are not for everybody.

Trades are critical and never have I heard anyone say anything other than that. One of the elements of the BBB bill was to subsidize businesses to increase their apprenticeship programmes.

As for the reasons people are quitting their jobs, they are plentiful and varied but improved wages, benefits and working conditions, including work from home. The numbers are staggeringly high. America is going to have to look towards immigration reforms to ease the problem.....good luck with that!

It's not "we", it's for profit schools supporters like Betsy DeVos. Conservative "Almighty dollar" types.
That’s simply not true. Costs at all universities has been going up at more than double the inflation rate for decades. My alma mater, Fordham University, total cost of attendance is about $72000/yr if you don’t live on campus. My final year, 1983, total cost was about $7,000.

Not really... mostly its because employers generally treated people like shit over the last decade and the labor shortage suddenly has the employee in the drivers seat and they no longer need to put up with bullshit like no raises, etc.
They're only the "driver" seat because the government paid them to be there. Once the unemployment bribes go away, the party is over. Try living on zero income, and see where that gets you. Suddenly any job looks good. Biden ****ed this up by extending this bullshit, and then trying to have a multi-trillion dollar budget to **** up the economy even more. And now you know why Manchin isn't supporting it. It makes him sick to his stomach, just like the rest of us normal people. And let's not forget how the government killed thousands of businesses across the country with the lockdowns.

Community colleges teach trades.
Technical centers teach trades, and some bigger businesses have their schools. But they are woefully under funded and under-emphasized. There's been a stigma placed on trades, and only bumpkins and hillbillies and rednecks work in them; and nobody wants to be that.

They're only the "driver" seat because the government paid them to be there. Once the unemployment bribes go away, the party is over. Try living on zero income, and see where that gets you. Suddenly any job looks good. Biden ****ed this up by extending this bullshit, and then trying to have a multi-trillion dollar budget to **** up the economy even more. And now you know why Manchin isn't supporting it. It makes him sick to his stomach, just like the rest of us normal people. And let's not forget how the government killed thousands of businesses across the country with the lockdowns.

LOL... Unemployment ran out quite a while ago.. I know PLENTY of people in the tech sector who have been employed the whole time and are jumping to companies with better leadership and more pay.

Technical centers teach trades, and some bigger businesses have their schools. But they are woefully under funded and under-emphasized
Which was one of the initiatives in the BBB.....expansion of apprenticeship programmes and a focus on blue collar trades.

Technical centers teach trades, and some bigger businesses have their schools. But they are woefully under funded and under-emphasized. There's been a stigma placed on trades, and only bumpkins and hillbillies and rednecks work in them; and nobody wants to be that.

I tell kids I am around all the time this little fact... In my nice neighborhood of upper income families, I have a neighbor who owns a roofing company, own who owns an electrical company, one who owns an HVAC company and one who owns a plumbing company... There is a LOT of money to made in the trades... Hell, if I didn't have 20+ years in tech, I would start in HVAC.. People will sell their cars to have AC in Texas in the summer... :ROFLMAO:

That’s simply not true. Costs at all universities has been going up at more than double the inflation rate for decades. My alma mater, Fordham University, total cost of attendance is about $72000/yr if you don’t live on campus. My final year, 1983, total cost was about $7,000.
The comment was why we've been sold the idea that university is the be-all end-all for better income.

Free isn't the issue, affordable is.
We don't need FREE college and FREE trade schools, we need colleges and trade schools which are affordable for EVERYONE who wants/needs them.
And if that eventually boils down to deserving and capable poor folks getting the free leg up that they need, so be it.

If both your parents work full time, and they're making something like 50 grand a year between them, they can't afford to send you to college or even a trade school, and as their kid you can't afford
to take on a whopper student loan that winds up strapping you to the hamster wheel instead of garnering you the upward mobility you sought in the first place.
That's the kind of income profile we're really talking about here...families that take in significantly MORE THAN 50 thousand a year can't afford it.
And if they have kids who can make the grade and who show the desire and initiative to learn and apply, and we DON'T invest in them, then we're actually cheating ourselves as a society and allowing
poverty to win.

The entire country doesn't need free college, and the entire country doesn't need free trade school.
But a very large portion of us DO...just not the ENTIRE country.
This subtle difference in reasoning is erased by slogans like "free college" and the political Right certainly enjoys chewing the scenery by tying it to their biggest whine of all: "FREE STUFF!".
It's NOT "free stuff", it's an investment in a deserving slice of the younger generation, and an investment in our future.

Mike Rowe is now the far right expert?
Utterly laughable.

Both health care and education are way too expensive in the States. Two things which are fundamental to a healthy and productive society but when it comes to adequately funding them the decision is yet another, tax cut or aircraft destroyer or fighter jet wins. Just a matter of priorities.

It's time to shine the light on the free college nonsense, and the myth that the trades are no place to be. If we're going to have free college, then we need free trade schools.
Wait a minute did you think people were excluding trade schools from this the entire time???

Back
Top Bottom