• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mike Moore, past Mississippi AG

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
During the mid-nineties, the Congress took on the Tobacco industry. MS AG Mike Moore was a very public face of the proceedings. I saw him again last night in a 60 Minutes segment. He now has the opioid industry in his sights.

I remember in the 90’s thinking that Moore was destined for higher office. He was well spoken and charismatic and was partly responsible for the massive tobacco settlement.

He sorta fell off the national stage until last night. If I was in the opioid business right now, I would be sleeping poorly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Moore_(U.S._politician)

View attachment 67246181

Moore has aged fairly well.....approx 24 years between pics.

During the mid-nineties, the Congress took on the Tobacco industry. MS AG Mike Moore was a very public face of the proceedings. I saw him again last night in a 60 Minutes segment. He now has the opioid industry in his sights.

I remember in the 90’s thinking that Moore was destined for higher office. He was well spoken and charismatic and was partly responsible for the massive tobacco settlement.

He sorta fell off the national stage until last night. If I was in the opioid business right now, I would be sleeping poorly.

View attachment 67246181

Is he going to use the same tactic? "Not letting people know they are using a dangerous, addictive product?" [cause we're stupid like that]

The tobacco industry pulled off the biggest hoax in American history when it convinced millions that smoking was just a harmless pleasure instead of a delivery system for one of the most addictive substances known to man.

Michael Moore, the lawyer that is, and not the movie maker that the right loves to hate, is taking aim at the opioid industry. Why?

well:

The opioid epidemic cost the U.S. economy $78.5 billion in 2013, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a quarter of which was paid by taxpayers through increased public costs for health care, criminal justice, and treatment. The industry, the suits contend, should bear the financial burden of this wreckage.

source

Seems reasonable.

Not to mention the rather astounding statistic that more people die of opioid overdoses than from traffic accidents.

The tobacco industry pulled off the biggest hoax in American history when it convinced millions that smoking was just a harmless pleasure instead of a delivery system for one of the most addictive substances known to man.

Michael Moore, the lawyer that is, and not the movie maker that the right loves to hate, is taking aim at the opioid industry. Why?

well:

source

Seems reasonable.

Not to mention the rather astounding statistic that more people die of opioid overdoses than from traffic accidents.

Look for prescription prices to go way up.

Yep, that's why we need UHC improving "access to" such prescription meds by reducing (eliminating?) user costs.

The problem seems to be too much access to opioids.

That, and the war on drugs that treats addiction as a legal problem, when it's really a medical problem.

View attachment 67246181

I watched that segment. The one item I most remember was there was a pharmacy that received something like over a million opioid pills in a year. In Ohio I believe. Something was going on and should have at least been audited. Everyone looked the other way. If you can't police yourself we will do it for you. Serves them right.

I watched that segment. The one item I most remember was there was a pharmacy that received something like over a million opioid pills in a year. In Ohio I believe. Something was going on and should have at least been audited. Everyone looked the other way. If you can't police yourself we will do it for you. Serves them right.

Everyone was making money. There were storefront “pharmacies” dispensing ridiculous amounts of pills. Look at the pill/people ratio in this article...

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/...cle_ef04190c-1763-5a0c-a77a-7da0ff06455b.html

Back
Top Bottom