• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Migrants sell up, flee Arizona ahead of crackdown

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
PHOENIX, July 25 (Reuters) - Nicaraguan mother Lorena Aguilar hawks a television set and a few clothes on the baking sidewalk outside her west Phoenix apartment block.

A few paces up the street, her undocumented Mexican neighbor Wendi Villasenor touts a kitchen table, some chairs and a few dishes as her family scrambles to get out of Arizona ahead of a looming crackdown on illegal immigrants.

"Everyone is selling up the little they have and leaving," said Villasenor, 31, who is headed for Pennsylvania. "We have no alternative. They have us cornered."

The two women are among scores of illegal immigrant families across Phoenix hauling the contents of their homes into the yard this weekend as they rush to sell up and get out before the state law takes effect on Thursday.

Migrants sell up, flee Arizona ahead of crackdown | Reuters

AMAZING, the State makes being illegal a crime.. and the criminals start to flee.

Who would have believed that eh?

Also, I hope the Authorities in PA are seeing that this Villasenor family is headed their way. I hope that they arrest and deport her and her entire criminal family.

What a shock! The criminals are fleeing. Who woulda thunk it? lol.

Too bad all states do not do this as maybe we could save tax dollars and they would all flee back to where they Illegally came from. Problem solved.

Criminals feeling not wanted and leaving. I am sure sanctuary cities will have no problem taking them.

AMAZING, the State makes being illegal a crime.. and the criminals start to flee.

Who would have believed that eh?

Also, I hope the Authorities in PA are seeing that this Villasenor family is headed their way. I hope that they arrest and deport her and her entire criminal family.

Did you read the entire article?

LEGAL RESIDENTS FLEE

----------

While the law targets undocumented migrants, legal residents and their U.S.-born children are getting caught up in the rush to leave Arizona.

Mexican housewife Gabriela Jaquez, 37, said she is selling up and leaving for New Mexico with her husband, who is a legal resident, and two children born in Phoenix.

"Under the law, if you transport an illegal immigrant, you are committing a crime," she said as she sold children's clothes at a yard sale with three other families. "They could arrest him for driving me to the shops."

Lunaly Bustillos, a legal resident from Mexico, hoped to sell some clothes, dumbbells and an ornamental statue on Sunday before her family heads for Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Monday.

"It makes me sad and angry too because I feel I have the right to be here," said Bustillos, 17, who recently graduated from high school in Phoenix. (Editing by John O'Callaghan)

The best part is this:

The state's Republican governor, Jan Brewer, signed the law in April in a bid to curb violence and cut crime stemming from illegal immigration.

Crime stats test rationale behind Arizona immigration law - CNN.com

According to FBI statistics, violent crimes reported in Arizona dropped by nearly 1,500 reported incidents between 2005 and 2008. Reported property crimes also fell, from about 287,000 reported incidents to 279,000 in the same period. These decreases are accentuated by the fact that Arizona's population grew by 600,000 between 2005 and 2008.

Crime in Arizona Reports : Reports - Arizona Department of Public Safety
Both sides in Arizona's immigration debate use crime argument - Los Angeles Times

Crime has dropped all across the country since then, but the decrease has been as fast or faster in Arizona. The rate of property crimes in the state, for example, has plummeted 43% since 1995, compared with 30% nationwide.

That's no surprise to those who study immigration — both sides, whether for or against increased immigration, agree that immigrants tend to commit fewer crimes than native-born Americans.

Nonetheless, authors of a controversial new law against illegal immigration here have long cited the need to fight crime as a key reason behind SB 1070, or the Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act. The law makes it a state crime to lack immigration papers and requires police to determine whether people they stop are in the country illegally.

/thread.

A few paces up the street, her undocumented Mexican neighbor Wendi Villasenor touts a kitchen table, some chairs and a few dishes as her family scrambles to get out of Arizona ahead of a looming crackdown on illegal immigrants.

Oh, I'm sure that woman's illegal butt has documentation in Mexico somewhere.

She's not undocumented, she's here illegally, and hence a criminal.

I think every state that doesn't want to be inundated with fleeing criminals from Arizona should pass laws allowing their police to arrest people on reasonable suspicion of violating US immigration laws.

Is the Department of Justice going to sue any state for arresting counterfeiters? No? Then there's no argument that the states have the authority to arrest people suspected of violating federal law.

LEGAL RESIDENTS FLEE

Since legal residents are under no threat from law enforcement in Arizona, they are not fleeing the state, they are exercising their constitutional freedom to re-locate to another state.

If they're stupid and feel they're going to be targeted by cops for nothing, that's their problem. There's no Constitutional prohibition against stupidity.

So the stupid leave too.

Bonus!

Well that was the goal of the entire bill. Make sure the brownies felt threatened. One more bill pandering to xenophobic America. The same kind which blames being paid $7.25 an hour on Mexicans and computer techs in Bangladesh.

Well that was the goal of the entire bill. Make sure the brownies felt threatened.

One more bill pandering to xenophobic America. The same kind which blames being paid $7.25 an hour on Mexicans and computer techs in Bangladesh.

What factual data do you have to back this up?

Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking to. Never mind :2wave:

What factual data do you have to back this up?

Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking to. Never mind :2wave:

'Factual data'? Are you really back for another beating? What factual 'data' would I need to say that this is nothing more than another bill created by Republicans to stroke their xenophobic base? Well let's see some other bills supported by Republicans this year shall we?

Arizona bill targeting ethnic studies signed into law - Los Angeles Times

Our Campaigns - News - Arizona Governor Takes Away State Domestic Partner Benefits Says 'God Has Placed Me in This Powerful Position' - Apr 28, 2010

"A bill signed by Gov. Jan Brewer redefined a 'dependent,' canceling the rule change made by Gov. Janet Napolitano that allowed domestic partners to receive benefits. Also eliminated are children of domestic partners, full-time students ages 23-24 and disabled adult dependents. The legislation is in legal review. About 800 state employees are affected, according to the state's administration department...Liz Sawyer, a UA staff member, said the exclusion is 'deplorable and it's tragic.' Sawyer is a spokeswoman for OUTReach, a staff group that lobbies for domestic-partner benefits at UA. Last year 170 UA employees signed up for domestic-partner benefits, she said. Forty were same-sex couples and the remainder were unmarried, opposite-sex couples, she said."

But you're part of xenophobic America. The same guy who inserts himself in talks about sex and asks what the sexual stimuli of gay men are like it's some sort of secret that science needs to reveal to the populace. What evidence would you need to see that this is one more law pandering to you? The fact that you support it so strongly is proof enough. You xenophobe.

Since legal residents are under no threat from law enforcement in Arizona, they are not fleeing the state, they are exercising their constitutional freedom to re-locate to another state.

If they're stupid and feel they're going to be targeted by cops for nothing, that's their problem. There's no Constitutional prohibition against stupidity.

Because most of the illegals have family members who are legal, thus it causes significant stress on families by making it a significant crime to transport an illegal.

'Factual data'? Are you really back for another beating?

Step away from the mirror and talk to me directly :)

What factual 'data' would I need to say that this is nothing more than another bill created by Republicans to stroke their xenophobic base? Well let's see some other bills supported by Republicans this year shall we?

Arizona bill targeting ethnic studies signed into law - Los Angeles Times

LOL I see you are ready for another beating.

Lets look at this bill. The actual bill, not what the LA times says it is. See Hatuey, this is called doing your homework so pay attention:

THE LEGISLATURE FINDS AND DECLARES THAT PUBLIC SCHOOL PUPILS SHOULD BE
6 TAUGHT TO TREAT AND VALUE EACH OTHER AS INDIVIDUALS AND NOT BE TAUGHT TO
7 RESENT OR HATE OTHER RACES OR CLASSES OF PEOPLE

Wow! Look at all that hate! LOL

IN ITS PROGRAM OF INSTRUCTION ANY COURSES OR CLASSES THAT INCLUDE ANY OF THE
11 FOLLOWING:
12 1. PROMOTE THE OVERTHROW OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.
13 2. PROMOTE RESENTMENT TOWARD A RACE OR CLASS OF PEOPLE.
14 3. ARE DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR PUPILS OF A PARTICULAR ETHNIC GROUP.
15 4. ADVOCATE ETHNIC SOLIDARITY INSTEAD OF THE TREATMENT OF PUPILS AS
16 INDIVIDUALS.

So Hatuey, before you dig that enormous hole any deeper, explain how this is a bad thing. Go ahead, explain how not promoting a single race in a multi-racial society and forbidding teachings on overthrowing the government is just so damn racist. :lamo

Next time try actually reading the bill before embarrassing yourself again.

Now for my favorite...

LOL Another far left nutjob article that you were too lazy to read. Do you have any idea how stupid you look when you only read the title of this article?

Her quote:

"Gov. Jan Brewer said Wednesday that she believes 'God has placed me in this powerful position as Arizona's governor' to help the state weather its troubles. In a wide-ranging speech on the role of religion in politics and in her life, Brewer detailed to a group of pastors of the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church how she relies on her faith and in prayer to deal with many of the issues she faces as the state's chief executive.

was NOT about the domestic partnership bill. But of course you would actually have to READ the article and follow the source to know that.

Do you have any IDEA how many politicians have said God has helped them?

How about Slick Willy?

But I believe that to be forgiven, more than sorrow is required - at least two more things. First, genuine repentance - a determination to change and to repair breaches of my own making. I have repented. Second, what my bible calls a ''broken spirit''; an understanding that I must have God's help to be the person that I want to be; a willingness to give the very forgiveness I seek; a renunciation of the pride and the anger which cloud judgment, lead people to excuse and compare and to blame and complain.

I know you are a hater of religious people but the sheer stupidity of you and that article trying to relate an overall point in a general speech to a specific issue you are crying about is beyond foolish.

Oh and BTW, since not homosexuals are not a race there goes your bull**** theory that this was based on race. :lamo

But you're part of xenophobic America. The same guy who inserts himself in talks about sex and asks what the sexual stimuli of gay men are like it's some sort of secret that science needs to reveal to the populace.

Anytime you would like to relive your beating on basic sex ed you just let me know :)

What evidence would you need to see that this is one more law pandering to you? The fact that you support it so strongly is proof enough. You xenophobe.

Gee how about DIRECT QUOTES from Republicans who wrote and voted on the bill that the goal is to get rid of all the brownies as you claim?

Oh thats right you have NONE ZERO ZIP NADA. Just your own stupidity and bigotry against those who don't agree with you. Good to see you haven't changed a bit Hatuey.

I like it when you're so easy to expose and defeat but next time try not to be so transparently ignorant about your own articles

Last edited:
Well that was the goal of the entire bill. Make sure the brownies felt threatened. One more bill pandering to xenophobic America. The same kind which blames being paid $7.25 an hour on Mexicans and computer techs in Bangladesh.

No. Clearly the goal of the bill was to allow the police the power to arrest criminals violating a specific law.

That's what laws do.

If the legislators of Arizona wanted the brownies to leave the state, wouldn't they have first outlawed bakeries and school bake sales?

Because most of the illegals have family members who are legal, thus it causes significant stress on families by making it a significant crime to transport an illegal.

What a shame. People harboring a criminal might feel some constraint from the law for their actions.

My heart doesn't seem to want to bleed for them.

Step away from the mirror and talk to me directly :)

I am. You're getting owned, so I can just smell the bolded paragraphs taken out of context coming.

LOL I see you are ready for another beating.

Lets look at this bill. The actual bill, not what the LA times says it is. See Hatuey, this is called doing your homework so pay attention:

THE LEGISLATURE FINDS AND DECLARES THAT PUBLIC SCHOOL PUPILS SHOULD BE
6 TAUGHT TO TREAT AND VALUE EACH OTHER AS INDIVIDUALS AND NOT BE TAUGHT TO
7 RESENT OR HATE OTHER RACES OR CLASSES OF PEOPLE

Wow! Look at all that hate! LOL

IN ITS PROGRAM OF INSTRUCTION ANY COURSES OR CLASSES THAT INCLUDE ANY OF THE
11 FOLLOWING:
12 1. PROMOTE THE OVERTHROW OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.
13 2. PROMOTE RESENTMENT TOWARD A RACE OR CLASS OF PEOPLE.
14 3. ARE DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR PUPILS OF A PARTICULAR ETHNIC GROUP.
15 4. ADVOCATE ETHNIC SOLIDARITY INSTEAD OF THE TREATMENT OF PUPILS AS
16 INDIVIDUALS.

So Hatuey, before you dig that enormous hole any deeper, explain how this is a bad thing. Go ahead, explain how not promoting a single race in a multi-racial society and forbidding teachings on overthrowing the government is just so damn racist. :lamo

Ah so your inability to actually understand the difference between what a bill says and what a bill does comes shinning through. Here I'll explain it to you:

3. ARE DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR PUPILS OF A PARTICULAR ETHNIC GROUP. 4. ADVOCATE ETHNIC SOLIDARITY INSTEAD OF THE TREATMENT OF PUPILS AS
INDIVIDUALS.

D. ACTIONS TAKEN UNDER THIS SECTION ARE SUBJECT TO APPEAL PURSUANT TO TITLE 41, CHAPTER 6, ARTICLE 10.
E. THIS SECTION SHALL NOT BE CONSTRUED TO RESTRICT OR PROHIBIT:
1. COURSES OR CLASSES FOR NATIVE AMERICAN PUPILS THAT ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLY WITH FEDERAL LAW.
2. THE GROUPING OF PUPILS ACCORDING TO ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE, INCLUDING CAPABILITY IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THAT MAY RESULT IN A DISPARATE IMPACT BY ETHNICITY.
3. COURSES OR CLASSES THAT INCLUDE THE HISTORY OF ANY ETHNIC GROUP AND THAT ARE OPEN TO ALL STUDENTS, UNLESS THE COURSE OR CLASS VIOLATES SUBSECTION A.
4. COURSES OR CLASSES THAT INCLUDE THE DISCUSSION OF CONTROVERSIAL ASPECTS OF HISTORY.
F. NOTHING IN THIS SECTION SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO RESTRICT OR PROHIBIT THE INSTRUCTION OF THE HOLOCAUST, ANY OTHER INSTANCE OF GENOCIDE, OR THE HISTORICAL OPPRESSION OF A PARTICULAR GROUP OF PEOPLE BASED ON ETHNICITY, RACE, OR CLASS.

What do we have? The same xenophobic double speak you're so accostumed to and support so feverishly. A class cannot teach about ethnic solidarity but it can teach about the struggles of a particular group. A struggle which no group has historically overcome without ethnic solidarity. See my point yet? Obviously you do not.

Next time try actually reading the bill before embarrassing yourself again.

Now for my favorite...

LOL Another far left nutjob article that you were too lazy to read. Do you have any idea how stupid you look when you only read the title of this article?

Her quote:

"Gov. Jan Brewer said Wednesday that she believes 'God has placed me in this powerful position as Arizona's governor' to help the state weather its troubles. In a wide-ranging speech on the role of religion in politics and in her life, Brewer detailed to a group of pastors of the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church how she relies on her faith and in prayer to deal with many of the issues she faces as the state's chief executive.

was NOT about the domestic partnership bill. But of course you would actually have to READ the article and follow the source to know that.

Do you have any IDEA how many politicians have said God has helped them?

How about Slick Willy?

But I believe that to be forgiven, more than sorrow is required - at least two more things. First, genuine repentance - a determination to change and to repair breaches of my own making. I have repented. Second, what my bible calls a ''broken spirit''; an understanding that I must have God's help to be the person that I want to be; a willingness to give the very forgiveness I seek; a renunciation of the pride and the anger which cloud judgment, lead people to excuse and compare and to blame and complain.

I know you are a hater of religious people but the sheer stupidity of you and that article trying to relate an overall point in a general speech to a specific issue you are crying about is beyond foolish.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm not talking about her quote you empty headed retard from Texas. I'm talking about the actual bill. This one?

State drops domestic-partner benefits

Oh and BTW, since not homosexuals are not a race there goes your bull**** theory that this was based on race. :lamo

Do you know what xenophobia means? Here I'll bring it up for you:

xenophobia - definition of xenophobia by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

xen·o·phobe (zn-fb, zn-)
n.
A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.
Anytime you would like to relive your beating on basic sex ed you just let me know :)

Yes yes, I know, your sexual stimuli are hamsters. Got it.

Gee how about DIRECT QUOTES from Republicans who wrote and voted on the bill that the goal is to get rid of all the brownies as you claim?

Oh thats right you have NONE ZERO ZIP NADA. Just your own stupidity and bigotry against those who don't agree with you. Good to see you haven't changed a bit Hatuey.

I like it when you're so easy to expose and defeat but next time try not to be so transparently ignorant about your own articles

Good lord, so what do we have so far? That you, a xenophobe, who doesn't know what xenophobia means but is convinced that being afraid of gay people could not possibly make him one because they're not a race, is supporting a bill targetting xenophobes like himself. Seriously, have you even followed the conversation? You started your usual undecypherable ramblings about quotes from Republicans when we're talking about bills. Not quotes, BILLS, signed in order to please the same xenophobic mentality you are enslaved to. Do I really have to call your parents to come pick you up? You're embarrasing yourself.

Last edited:
Hatuey:
I would respond, but I have to stop laughing first. But I see your a liberal.

What part of illegal don't you understand? As far as legal people in Arizona, if they are so paranoid they want to leave, that is their choice. So, please send your donations to AZ to pay for the illegals.

wait, so are the illegal mexicans immigrating illegally 'cause they're brown? or are they brown because they immigrate illegally?

I find it humorous that a liberal is the one using racial epitaphs when talking about illegal Mexicans. :lamo I thought liberals were for tolerance and understanding.

It looks like the law is having its intended effect on the illegal immigrants in Arizona. The problem is that they will go to another state.

I find it humorous that a liberal is the one using racial epitaphs when talking about illegal Mexicans. :lamo I thought liberals were for tolerance and understanding.

It looks like the law is having its intended effect on the illegal immigrants in Arizona. The problem is that they will go to another state.

If those states surrounding Arizona are sanctuary states then how is it a problem?

If my family member or even a group of family members committed a crime, and I knew about it, I would be in trouble for transporting them around too. Should every family member who has aided and abetted a criminal just be able to use the excuse that they would be put under significant stress for not helping their family member, and instead obeying the law? Their family members shouldn't be in this country illegally. If they want to end the stress on the family work to help get the family member legal entry/residence in the US. Better yet, work to improve the lives of their family members in their home country. Work to improve the country overall.

Hatuey said:
What the hell are you talking about? I'm not talking about her quote you empty headed retard from Texas.

Real classy... but not unexpected from you.

I am. You're getting owned, so I can just smell the bolded paragraphs taken out of context coming.

And here come the excuses from you for not being able to debate the points.

h so your inability to actually understand the difference between what a bill says and what a bill does comes shinning through. Here I'll explain it to you:

You didn't explain anything. You failed miserably to prove your claim that the bill was written to get rid of all the "brownies"

You have ZERO evidence to support this lie in the bill itself that the intent is to target only Hispanics. It doesn't say that anywhere in the bill nor has any official said it that you can quote.

Another epic fail.

What do we have? The same xenophobic double speak you're so accostumed to and support so feverishly. A class cannot teach about ethnic solidarity but it can teach about the struggles of a particular group. A struggle which no group has historically overcome without ethnic solidarity. See my point yet? Obviously you do not.

Of course you can. You can talk about the opporession of the Chinese building the railroad system without teaching that Chinese should only associate with themselves. That's the difference and its not that difficult to see.

Are you really convinced this country was built by one race? Was Fredirick Douglass a white man? Was Dr. Charles R. Drew white? Were the Chinese who built the railroad system white? Of course not so pretending that you cannot teach history without teaching the races to stick to themselves is idioitc.

And you really need to look up the word xenophobic because its clear you dont have a clue what it actually means.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm not talking about her quote you empty headed retard from Texas. I'm talking about the actual bill. This one?

State drops domestic-partner benefits

I'll say it again since you have proven once again you cannot read. HOMOSEXUALS ARE NOT FROM ONE RACE. Your premise which you of course have forgotten was to prove racism in the eyes of the people who voted and wrote the Arizona law and you laughably can't tell the difference between homosexuality and race.

I know exactly what it means. Obviously you do not. And it wasn't your argument. You were very specific that they wrote the law to "get rid of the brownies" That is a racist claim. If it was xenophobic you would have claimed it was designed to get rid of all foreigners. But of course this is just another example of your inability to recall your own argument.

And for these republicans to actually be xenophobic they would have to support removing ALL troops from all foreign countries tomorrow and stop exploring all interests outside our border. But of course they are't and this is just another example of your inability to comprehend basic words in the English language.

Yes yes, I know, your sexual stimuli are hamsters. Got it.

LOL Wow. Thought that one up all by yourself huh. Give yourself a pat on the head. :D

Good lord, so what do we have so far? That you, a xenophobe, who doesn't know what xenophobia means

I support the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. That alone proves I'm not xenophobic but you would have to actually understand what the word means which obviously you dont.

but is convinced that being afraid of gay people could not possibly make him one because they're not a race, is supporting a bill targetting xenophobes like himself. Seriously, have you even followed the conversation? You started your usual undecypherable ramblings about quotes from Republicans when we're talking about bills. Not quotes, BILLS, signed in order to please the same xenophobic mentality you are enslaved to. Do I really have to call your parents to come pick you up? You're embarrasing yourself.

Come back when you have read the dictionary of what a xenophobe actually is because I've already proven you dont have a clue what it means in the slighest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom