• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Migrant caravan: Detained Guatemalan boy dies at Mexico-US border

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46682354

An eight-year-old boy from Guatemala has died in US government custody, immigration authorities say.

It is the second time this month an immigrant child has died while being detained after crossing the US-Mexico border.
=========================================================
If Trump keeps this up (along with the now indefinite shutdown), he can count on not being reelected.

An eight-year-old boy from Guatemala has died in US government custody, immigration authorities say.

It is the second time this month an immigrant child has died while being detained after crossing the US-Mexico border.
If Trump keeps this up (along with the now indefinite shutdown), he can count on not being reelected.

What did Trump do?

btw, there's already a thread on this topic.

Well, from your own citation:

It reported that he and his father were taken to a hospital in Alamogordo, New Mexico, where the boy was diagnosed with a cold and a fever, given prescriptions for amoxicillin and ibuprofen, and released on Monday afternoon.
He returned to the hospital on Monday evening after he began vomiting and died there just hours later, the statement added.

Then there was the other prior incident also from your citation...

The previous instance saw a seven-year-old girl, also from Guatemala, die hours after being taken into custody...The Guatemalan girl, who authorities there named as Jakelin Caal, died of liver failure, US officials say.

Sooo, the insinuation is that both children dying while in the custody of Immigration officials, one of liver failure and the other of some serious cold infection (perhaps pneumonia?), would NOT have died outside of custody?

The hits just keep on playing with some people. :roll:

What about the communist assholes who have been ramrodding the mob? This kid got sick before he made it to The United States. Those pricks encouraging these folks to trek across the Mexican desert weren't providing any healthcare, or preventative medicine?

What did Trump do?

btw, there's already a thread on this topic.

Yeah well, Another death of a young child ought to at least worth another thread. Don't you think? Trump implemented this policy to detain, separate and treat these people more like criminals than refugees. So it's his responsibility. Merry Christmas Donald!

Yeah well, Another death of a young child ought to at least worth another thread. Don't you think? Trump implemented this policy to detain, separate and treat these people more like criminals than refugees. So it's his responsibility. Merry Christmas Donald!

The other thread is about the same boy. The kid isn't worth multiple threads on DP.

Trump isn't implementing anything. He's following the law. It requires "these people" to be detained. He hasn't separated this boy from anyone. They haven't been treated like criminals.

You got any more non-issues to cry about?

You do realize over 400 illegals die each year trying to cross the border. The Border Patrol saves hundreds each year from eminent death. I remember last year the Border Patrol found a 18 wheeler where aliens wee trapped inside in the San Antonio Texas heat 9 died and 29 had severe dehydration. Unfortunately its a common occurrence to find illegals in semi trucks.

This child was taken to the ER and was ER and was treated to antibiotics and antipyretics. It sounds like the ER may have misdiagnosed the child. That isn't on the BP its on the hospital. This makes me suspect meningitis.

I think we should see facts before we start to point the finger of blame.

Last edited:

Who separated who?

The boy and his father were taken to the ER and the boy was treated with cold like symptoms. He was treated with antibiotics and antipyretics and released. It sounds like the ER screwed up and misdiagnosed the boy. I suspect meningitis. I wonder if the little girl that died and this little boy had any contact with each other. They were both from Guatemala and both detained in New Mexico at about the same time. I wonder if they were in the same group of detainees.

The other thread is about the same boy. The kid isn't worth multiple threads on DP.

Trump isn't implementing anything. He's following the law. It requires "these people" to be detained. He hasn't separated this boy from anyone. They haven't been treated like criminals.

You got any more non-issues to cry about?

Oh really? He just separated this young boy. Permanently. You must not be following this too closely . The Supreme Court has already ruled that he's not following the law. Trump's border policy is going to go down as being one the most shameful periods in American history.

Oh really? He just separated this young boy. Permanently.

Don't talk nonsense. Trump did no such thing.

You must not be following this too closely . The Supreme Court has already ruled that he's not following the law. Trump's border policy is going to go down as being one the most shameful periods in American history.

Oh really? He just separated this young boy. Permanently. You must not be following this too closely . The Supreme Court has already ruled that he's not following the law. Trump's border policy is going to go down as being one the most shameful periods in American history.
Who did he separate? The boy and his father remained together until the child died. The boy was taken to the hospital twice if anyone is at fault its the ER for missing what ever the child died from. Trump certainly is not at fault. The BP tried to get the child help.

Who separated who?

The boy and his father were taken to the ER and the boy was treated with cold like symptoms. He was treated with antibiotics and antipyretics and released. It sounds like the ER screwed up and misdiagnosed the boy. I suspect meningitis. I wonder if the little girl that died and this little boy had any contact with each other. They were both from Guatemala and both detained in New Mexico at about the same time. I wonder if they were in the same group of detainees.

Ok there, Doc. Tell me then for crying out loud just how the hell do you go from having a cold and take a couple of these and call me in the morning to being dead as door nail less than 24 hours later? And this is second time something like this has happened in less than a month. Something is very wrong.

Ok there, Doc. Tell me then for crying out loud just how the hell do you go from having a cold and take a couple of these and call me in the morning to being dead as door nail less than 24 hours later? And this is second time something like this has happened in less than a month. Something is very wrong.
Read my post to you above. Personally I think both of these kids had meningitis . They both have been in conditions ripe for meningitis. The both have been in close contact with others in unsanitary environments. They were both apprehended about the same time in about the same area of New Mexico and they are both from Guatemala. They were both about the same age. I wonder did they travel together or met each other or perhaps a carrier between the two that we don't know about. But I can tell you that meningitis can take you from well to dead in 24 hours.

I took care of a 5-6 year old that didn't appear very sick then he sat up on the gurney and puked. So I started examining him and when I examined his neck for nuchal rigidity the kid made a weird facial expression but said "I'm ok I want to go home." Each time I flexed his neck he did the same thing. He never told me it hurt he just said he was OK and wanted to go home. I spinal tapped him and he had bacterial meningitis. If I has given him amoxicillin and discharged him to home. He would have likely died. Missing a kid with meningitis was always one of my biggest fears. I diagnosed several bacterial and viral meningitis but most of them complained of severe headaches and neck pain. This kid didn't complain of anything.

The little 8 year old boy likely didn't speak English so the ER doc may have been using an interpreter. If that is the case it would make diagnosing anything more difficult. The little girl was just too far gone when she reached medical help. She may have been septic or had meningitis.

If you see the autopsy report on either one of these two kids let me know because I want to know what the official cause of death was.

At any rate in both cases the actions of the BP likely improved their chances over if they had not been detained. Unfortunately they both didn't survive.

Read my post to you above. Personally I think both of these kids had meningitis . They both have been in conditions ripe for meningitis. The both have been in close contact with others in unsanitary environments. They were both apprehended about the same time in about the same area of New Mexico and they are both from Guatemala. They were both about the same age. I wonder did they travel together or met each other or perhaps a carrier between the two that we don't know about. But I can tell you that meningitis can take you from well to dead in 24 hours.

I took care of a 5-6 year old that didn't appear very sick then he sat up on the gurney and puked. So I started examining him and when I examined his neck for nuchal rigidity the kid made a weird facial expression but said "I'm ok I want to go home." Each time I flexed his neck he did the same thing. He never told me it hurt he just said he was OK and wanted to go home. I spinal tapped him and he had bacterial meningitis. If I has given him amoxicillin and discharged him to home. He would have likely died. Missing a kid with meningitis was always one of my biggest fears. I diagnosed several bacterial and viral meningitis but most of them complained of severe headaches and neck pain. This kid didn't complain of anything.

The little 8 year old boy likely didn't speak English so the ER doc may have been using an interpreter. If that is the case it would make diagnosing anything more difficult. The little girl was just too far gone when she reached medical help. She may have been septic or had meningitis.

If you see the autopsy report on either one of these two kids let me know because I want to know what the official cause of death was.

At any rate in both cases the actions of the BP likely improved their chances over if they had not been detained. Unfortunately they both didn't survive.

Yeah, ok "doc". Whatever. Maybe his father should ask your wife for some legal advice too while we're at it.

Yeah, ok "doc". Whatever. Maybe his father should ask your wife for some legal advice too while we're at it.
I'm satisfied to wait for the autopsy report before pointing fingers. Of course I could ask you for medical advice. :lamo

I'm satisfied to wait for the autopsy report before pointing fingers. Of course I could ask you for medical advice. :lamo

I wouldn't be so foolish as to think that I was so eminently qualified to offer such advice beyond that which resides within the realm of commonsense.

I wouldn't be so foolish as to think that I was so eminently qualified to offer such advice beyond that which resides within the realm of commonsense.
Well commonsense dictates waiting for the facts before assessing blame.

And yet you postulated that it was meningitis without waiting for the facts before assessing blame.

And yet you postulated that it was meningitis without waiting for the facts before assessing blame.

You liberals just love to use the death of children to further your political agenda, don't you?
Would an open border be the solution to these problems?

You liberals just love to use the death of children to further your political agenda, don't you?
Would an open border be the solution to these problems?

And maybe you should ask yourself just how it was we arrived at this point. Where these young innocent children. Who have done nothing wrong. Are dying while being placed in our custody. And for what?

Trump isn't doing any of this, you know that right?

The last kid was submitted with her father signing that the two of them were of good health. So I'm going to wait and see if a similar event happened here. Though I'm not going to let it go how stupid it is that people believe that immigration officials, the workers, or even Trump. Are some somehow responsible for this.

The people who keep doing this to their children, willingly I might add. Should be held accountable at the very least.

Trump isn't doing any of this, you know that right?

The last kid was submitted with her father signing that the two of them were of good health. So I'm going to wait and see if a similar event happened here. Though I'm not going to let it go how stupid it is that people believe that immigration officials, the workers, or even Trump. Are some somehow responsible for this.

The people who keep doing this to their children, willingly I might add. Should be held accountable at the very least.

Obviously a parent telling the truth is too much to expect in this case, which is the only way to making this Americas fault.

You will need to make up your own mind on why we can not expect the truth from these people.

Unlike you I am giving an educated guess. I think the ER screwed up because the Kid was released with a cold when he was clearly sicker than that. So that is a screw up on the ER not the BP. The ER doc is probably S***ing his pants right now. Also the choice of antibiotics . Amoxicillin, most ER doc give that for viral illnesses that would get well without anything medication. They give it because if they didn't give anything parents raise hell. Amoxicillin won't do anything for a cold because its viral. So obviously the Doc didn't think the kid had anything serious. He was obviously wrong. But ultimately I'm satisfied to wait for an autopsy. I would watch who ever had contact with these two kids for signs of meningitis though. It's pretty contagious.

Last edited:

citation please

Saying that word "commonsense" already eliminates him from the equation, as is.

Back
Top Bottom