• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mighty White of You

Is "Might White of You" a RACIST Statement/Sentiment?

• Total voters
I've always wondered about "That's the pot calling the kettle black"--which I still hear frequently from hosts of news programs.
That saying goes back to Shakespeare (the Raven criticizes something black) and even back to the Greeks. It is not about the color, like Mighty White of You (a white person) it is about something clean getting dirty smoke on it, and the black smoke is not negative... it is a comparison of being hypocritical.

Are you really insinuating that no minority has any power in any capacity in America?
No, I'm saying that no minority group in America has the power to implement racist structures against the white population.

How can other races exercise their dominance over a white person in America?
Some of you introduced this idea that it can only be an entire group versus an entire group on a societal level. That is ridiculous.

How racist is this statement?
I mean yeah, a little bit. In my opinion it is most often used in the 'joke' tier of racism. I've mostly seen it used in the same ironic way people will make jokes about Asians being good at math but in a way that is clearly supposed to draw attention to the absurdity of making essentialist statements about race.

However, obviously it could be used in a more essentializing way that is more racist.
Should it be considered Hate Speech?
No. It's pretty far from hate speech.

I'm interested in this response. Are you not aware of the racial situation in Zimbabwe?
No idea what your point is but pretty sure he was just picking out a nation in Africa to toss KKK Leroy in so he is a minority.

How will that person be able to do anything to the dominant power group? The thread is talking about racism, not racists (as I understood it).

I don't understand this whole concept. I am so-called white. Your argument seems to be that I could go to China as a tourist and start making fun of the locals by saying "ching-chong-ching-chong" like a racist douchebag but it is okay because Xi is in charge so that means it's not racist.

I disagree. One of the largest failures of leftist advocacy was the redefining of racism from how most people understand it (bigotry due to perceived racial difference) to the power+prejudice academic definition.

I'm my humble (and correct ;)) opinion it is far better to say everyone can be racist (bigoted) and then go onto describe how systemic racism (at least in the US) exists almost exclusives to the advantage of White people.
There is a difference between a racist and racism. I completely disagree with your idea of failure. Everybody can look at the stereotype of a racist and say 'I'm not that guy'. It's far more difficult when you look at where your kid goes to school and think 'My kids school is better than that other one because we have better students.

I see white people recognizing the racist structures that support them and punish minorities as beneficial, a way that could lead to more change than we've seen recently.

No, I'm saying that no minority group in America has the power to implement racist structures against the white population.

Definition of racism

1: a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Nothing there about having to have overall societal power over other groups... which is not even happening in the first place.

You are simply wrong as hell.

I disagree. One of the largest failures of leftist advocacy was the redefining of racism from how most people understand it (bigotry due to perceived racial difference) to the power+prejudice academic definition. I'm my humble (and correct ;)) opinion it is far better to say everyone can be racist (bigoted) and then go onto describe how systemic racism (at least in the US) exists almost exclusives to the advantage of White people.
"Most people"? 🤔 ... Are people who are at a disadvantage oblivious of their standing in regards to power dynamics?

What a very strange thing to believe.
Looking forward to your example of a minority group in America creating some racial disadvantages for white people.

You are negating Free Will. You are saying the individual does not exist. There are only groups. You are making the claim that your "race" determines whether or not you are morally inferior to someone of another "race."

I think there is a word for thinking one "race" is inferior to another.
Once again, I'm not talking about bigots, I'm talking about racism.

Looking forward to your example of a minority group in America creating some racial disadvantages for white people.

Can a white person experience racism in a predominately non-white town?

One does not have to create racial disadvantages to be racist.

Reminds me, where is eco?

I don't understand this whole concept. I am so-called white. Your argument seems to be that I could go to China as a tourist and start making fun of the locals by saying "ching-chong-ching-chong" like a racist douchebag but it is okay because Xi is in charge so that means it's not racist.
No, I'm saying you would obviously be a bigot, but what would your actions mean to the Chinese? Likely nothing. Their lives would not be impacted by your bigotry. What happened when Chinese came to America? They built a railroad and weren't invited to the celebration for finishing it because the prevailing racial power (white people) devalued their entire enterprise. Were the leaders that didn't invite them racist? Most definitely, but they got away with their actions because of racism.

Bigotry is individual, racism is group.
You are making that up.

Definition of racism

1: a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Once again, I'm not talking about bigots, I'm talking about racism.

Okay. You are making the argument that temporal geography, where an individual is at a specific time, determines whether or not they are racist.

That is a bold claim.

Okay. You are making the argument that temporal geography, where an individual is at a specific time, determines whether or not they are racist.

That is a bold claim.
More ridiculous is that he is arguing that white people are racist merely by living in the USA.

That is a bold claim.
Yes. I agree with mrjurrs. It's the case, because racism is about power structures.

Back
Top Bottom