• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Might suffer from a mild form of ADD?

128shot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I find it hard to motivate-or well, focus.

I often put things off, and I know I do it. There are things I seriously want to do, and I never get around to doing them. I spent alot of money on hobbies I picked up on, but never perpetuated these things because I lacked motivation and the ability to focus.

Even as I type this thread, I'm not simply focusing on typing this thread.

there is that thread just a few notches above me describing the gamers syndrome. I suffer from that syndrome. I practically grew up on games. Though I don't smoke and drink

I'm afraid to talk to my parents about it seriously though. They don't believe its a problem. I do. I feel like my ability to focus (which, contributes NOT DICTATES, my lack of motivation I think) might be a problem I can correct in the long run (my Bro was on riddelin when they took him off when he turned 18. I don't know why, do these effects reverse?)

I'm not hyper active like my brother though. I'm very lazy, very laid back. I wish I had the willpower to do what I really want to do in life. I dunno what it is though, I've tried everything..

god help me.

I often put things off, and I know I do it. There are things I seriously want to do, and I never get around to doing them. I spent alot of money on hobbies I picked up on, but never perpetuated these things because I lacked motivation and the ability to focus.

there is that thread just a few notches above me describing the gamers syndrome. I suffer from that syndrome. I practically grew up on games. Though I don't smoke and drink

I'm afraid to talk to my parents about it seriously though. They don't believe its a problem. I do. I feel like my ability to focus (which, contributes NOT DICTATES, my lack of motivation I think) might be a problem I can correct in the long run (my Bro was on riddelin when they took him off when he turned 18. I don't know why, do these effects reverse?)

I'm not hyper active like my brother though. I'm very lazy, very laid back. I wish I had the willpower to do what I really want to do in life. I dunno what it is though, I've tried everything..

god help me.

You should really try harder to talk seriously with your parents about this. You could have clinical depression. Or maybe, like you said, you're just lazy.

Thought about exercise, vitamins, healthy food?

The video games are addictive. Can't you push them away? I stay away from them because I discovered that playing Free Cell on my laptop can waste a lot of time. And Free Cell isn't much compared to what you're probably playing.

Talk to your doctor. I had a problem with loss of energy that onset gradually over a long period of time. It got to where I had trouble doing anything, I was so tired all the time. But a little pill fixed it, leveled out the chemicals in my brain (dopamine, noreprinephrin), and gave me a lot of energy and drive back. Not saying you need something like this, but only your doctor can tell if you do.

Oh yeah. If you smoke pot stop it. That will help a lot.

You should really try harder to talk seriously with your parents about this. You could have clinical depression. Or maybe, like you said, you're just lazy.

The video games are addictive. Can't you push them away? I stay away from them because I discovered that playing Free Cell on my laptop can waste a lot of time. And Free Cell isn't much compared to what you're probably playing.

Talk to your doctor. I had a problem with loss of energy that onset gradually over a long period of time. It got to where I had trouble doing anything, I was so tired all the time. But a little pill fixed it, leveled out the chemicals in my brain (dopamine, noreprinephrin), and gave me a lot of energy and drive back. Not saying you need something like this, but only your doctor can tell if you do.

I don't smoke anything.

The thing is, I never see my doc. I really don't know how to approach the situation.

I don't smoke anything.

The thing is, I never see my doc. I really don't know how to approach the situation.

You have to go see him and tell him how you feel. He will listen to you. Its not so bad to go. I go to the doctor almost every month, hate it every time, but seem to get through it alive. You will too.

On the other hand, look at it this way - if your doctor does find a problem, you'll be able to put a guilt trip on your parents whenever you want. That by itself would be worth it.

Hey, I agree, EXERCISE! It'll help. Laziness is a problem, exercise and healthy food stops this. I don't think you need a little pill though.

I didn't know, however, that yur brother was on ridilen. How long was he on that?

If your parents don't think it's a problem, they may just not be aware of how much it is affecting you. If you think it's a problem, then you should do something about it. If you need to get your parents on board, try sitting them down and showing them what you posted here. They may be underestimating how much this affects your life. I'm sure if they knew how you felt, they would want to help you.

When you go to the doctor, you might want to print out what you posted and take it with you to show him, or to help you explain why you are there.

You may have ADHD, not all ADHDers have the hyperactivity/impulsivity part, or you may have something else going on that can be treated, but you will never know for sure if you don't go to the doctor and talk to him about it.

In my extended family, there are two brothers, one with ADHD combined type and one with ADHD inattentive type. They are as different as night and day. The one with inattentive type ADHD slipped through the cracks for a long time because his behavior didn't tip anybody off. He would daydream, couldn't focus to read the required material for school, never failed but came close. He hit the wall in 8th grade, and finally got diagnosed and treated. He's doing well as an adult, with no meds.

People used to believe that ADHD goes away when you hit adulthood, so some kids were/are taken off meds when they reach 18. That has been shown to not be true in most cases, although some people find that they are able to compensate without medication or they chose to only use medication for certain situations. I don't know if it is still true, but some insurance companies would no longer cover the medications once a child reached 18, so that could be the reason why your parents took your brother off ritalin when he turned 18.

You might want to pick up that book I recommended in the gamer's thread. It's very readable and it might help you.

Don't put it off, call the doctor. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

128shot, I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are beholden to your parents either financially or residentially, speak to them about what's going on. Parents are neither infallible nor all-knowing. Sometimes denial and the desire for things to be 'OK' goes along way towards missing things. Make them aware of how much difficulty you are having and let them know you want to be seen by someone who can make an accurate diagnosis of what's happening, so you can find some relief

If you are not beholden to your parents, follow the above advice on your own. Much luck and hope to you. :)

god help me.

If you are in high school there should be some kind of psychiatrist at the school you can talk to about it. If you are in college you should be able to find one for yourself to talk to.

Try depression medication like prozac FIRST.

I'm going to warn you right now: both ritalin and adderall can be extremely extremely dangerous. Even though I fully understand what amphetamines are and what they are doing to my brain I sometimes don't have the willpower to not take more than my prescribed dose. The dopamine high that you get in the first 1-3 hours is absolutely positively beyond description, and it can throw you into a pill popping cycle that no amount of willpower can fix. I was awake for 37 hours two days ago and it was one of the scariest experiences of my life.

Seriously. Try prozac first. Adderall is dangerous. If you do start taking adderall give the bottle to your parents and have them give you your pills daily. If you are in control of your own supply you won't be able to stop.

If you are in high school there should be some kind of psychiatrist at the school you can talk to about it. If you are in college you should be able to find one for yourself to talk to.

Try depression medication like prozac FIRST.
IF your doctor diagnoses you with ADHD, you should use the medication that the doctor prescribes. Different people need different medication, if they need medication. The doctor is the best judge of what medication and dosage is best for you.

I'm going to warn you right now: both ritalin and adderall can be extremely extremely dangerous. Even though I fully understand what amphetamines are and what they are doing to my brain I sometimes don't have the willpower to not take more than my prescribed dose. The dopamine high that you get in the first 1-3 hours is absolutely positively beyond description, and it can throw you into a pill popping cycle that no amount of willpower can fix. I was awake for 37 hours two days ago and it was one of the scariest experiences of my life.

Seriously. Try prozac first. Adderall is dangerous. If you do start taking adderall give the bottle to your parents and have them give you your pills daily. If you are in control of your own supply you won't be able to stop.
This is not normal. I would strongly advise you to talk to your doctor about this. It sounds like your dose is too high, or you are taking the wrong medication. You should not experience any sort of "high" from the medication, and you should not be taking more than your prescribed dose.

Many people take stimulants daily without any of the issues that you raise, my daughter being one of them. It takes time and trial and error to find the correct medication and/or dose, and close consultation with the doctor is essential. I urge you to call the doctor.

god help me.

I'm going to be brutally honest here. You're probably not suffering from anything. You say you can't focus, yet you're a gamer? How many hours do you spend playing video games in one sitting? Obviously you can focus, you just choose for whatever reason not to. Willpower is a tricky thing. We all have things we'd like to change about ourselves, some we end up doing and some we don't. Our society is full of yo-yo dieters and unused gym subscriptions. What separates those people from those who work hard for their goals is a change in mentality. You just have to decide enough is enough.

As for the video games, do what I did. Throw them away. All of them. Now dedicate yourself to at least two other hobbies. Start reading, or join a sports team. Your local rec center will have tons of interesting classes. Once your mind is used to enjoying things that actually stimulate it, you'll find it easy to focus on the things you thought were mundane (homework, etc).

You will be able to play video games again. Several years later, I bought another one and play it for...eh, maybe half an hour a couple times a week. Hopefully you'll come to the same realization that I did: life on a screen pales in comparison to the life you should be living.

As a disclaimer, I am not any sort of trained head doctor. If you are experiencing serious signs of depression, see one.

IF your doctor diagnoses you with ADHD, you should use the medication that the doctor prescribes. Different people need different medication, if they need medication. The doctor is the best judge of what medication and dosage is best for you.

This is not normal. I would strongly advise you to talk to your doctor about this. It sounds like your dose is too high, or you are taking the wrong medication. You should not experience any sort of "high" from the medication, and you should not be taking more than your prescribed dose.

Many people take stimulants daily without any of the issues that you raise, my daughter being one of them. It takes time and trial and error to find the correct medication and/or dose, and close consultation with the doctor is essential. I urge you to call the doctor.

This is what is confusing: do people with ADHD enjoy the dopamine high just like everyone else?

Your daughter is very young. Did you consider that she has not had time to associate the pills she is taking with an increase in happiness?

The ability to self medicate levels of happiness is a learned behavior.

Dopamine is dopamine. It is the same in people with and without ADHD brains. The idea that a dopamine increase in someone without ADHD is somehow different that someone with ADHD is just plain wrong. Dopamine is the reward your brain produces when something good happens.

The norepinephrine or more to the point adrenaline is the key to all of this. That is the drug that makes you focus. The dopamine is used solely for the purpose of suppressing the paranoia that comes with a huge increase in adrenaline.

*note to self: I don't understand why ritalin is effective in treating ADHD when it only increases dopamine and not adrenaline.

Have you ever tried adderall or ritalin? I'm curious if you are familiar with its effects on the brain beyond what you might have read or heard.

This is what is confusing: do people with ADHD enjoy the dopamine high just like everyone else?

Your daughter is very young. Did you consider that she has not had time to associate the pills she is taking with an increase in happiness?
No, she's not very young. She's almost 14 years old.

The ability to self medicate levels of happiness is a learned behavior.

Dopamine is dopamine. It is the same in people with and without ADHD brains. The idea that a dopamine increase in someone without ADHD is somehow different that someone with ADHD is just plain wrong. Dopamine is the reward your brain produces when something good happens.

The norepinephrine or more to the point adrenaline is the key to all of this. That is the drug that makes you focus. The dopamine is used solely for the purpose of suppressing the paranoia that comes with a huge increase in adrenaline.

*note to self: I don't understand why ritalin is effective in treating ADHD when it only increases dopamine and not adrenaline.

Have you ever tried adderall or ritalin? I'm curious if you are familiar with its effects on the brain beyond what you might have read or heard.
Yes, I have tried both, since I also have ADHD. When I was diagnosed and began taking meds, the first one gave me side effects (Ritalin)....jitteriness, euphoria, etc...that is not a desirable effect of the medication, and I called the doctor right away and he changed my medication. No, neither my daughter nor I get high from our medications, and neither of us take more than is prescribed. Our dosages are adjusted as needed by the doctor, not by us.

Your description, of not being able to resist taking more of the medication than prescribed, of getting high, is not using the medication as you are supposed to....simply put, it's drug abuse. I urge you to contact your doctor.

No, she's not very young. She's almost 14 years old.

Yes, I have tried both, since I also have ADHD. When I was diagnosed and began taking meds, the first one gave me side effects (Ritalin)....jitteriness, euphoria, etc...that is not a desirable effect of the medication, and I called the doctor right away and he changed my medication. No, neither my daughter nor I get high from our medications, and neither of us take more than is prescribed. Our dosages are adjusted as needed by the doctor, not by us.

Your description, of not being able to resist taking more of the medication than prescribed, of getting high, is not using the medication as you are supposed to....simply put, it's drug abuse. I urge you to contact your doctor.

I'm going to ask to be put on the XR version. I know the drug works for me as far as school and focus goes, but the dopamine high is kind of a sensory overload of happiness that I have to fight to stay in control of.

Hopefully the xr version isn't going to have that crazy euphoria peak at the beginning that is screwing me up.

I guess I could try that new medication that is a reuptake inhibitor of only norepinephrine, but it scares me to consider what pure adrenaline with no dopamine would do to me. It has almost zero potential for abuse but the side effects are bad. The idea of walking around with the sympathetic nervous system switched on is terrifying.

What meds do you take? I'm curious what your doctor put you on if you said you got too much euphoria from dopamine. Almost every single medication for ADHD treatment has a dopamine neurotransmitter inhibitor.

I'm going to be brutally honest here. You're probably not suffering from anything. You say you can't focus, yet you're a gamer? How many hours do you spend playing video games in one sitting? Obviously you can focus, you just choose for whatever reason not to.

Uhhh.... You think people with ADHD can't play video games?

You know video games are designed to overload your senses with sight, sound, and vibration right?

Modern video games are the ADHD person's paradise. They provide constant stimulus and rewards that keep the attention of even the most distracted and unfocused people.

If it isn't flashing or exploding or screaming, the person with ADHD isn't going to be able to keep focus on it. Video games are DESIGNED for hyper stimulus, which is exactly what ADHDers crave.

I've got a hypodermic filled with raw chuck beef in it kelzie DONT MAKE ME USE IT.

Uhhh.... You think people with ADHD can't play video games?

You know video games are designed to overload your senses with sight, sound, and vibration right?

Modern video games are the ADHD person's paradise. They provide constant stimulus and rewards that keep the attention of even the most distracted and unfocused people.

If it isn't flashing or exploding or screaming, the person with ADHD isn't going to be able to keep focus on it. Video games are DESIGNED for hyper stimulus, which is exactly what ADHDers crave.

I've got a hypodermic filled with raw chuck beef in it kelzie DONT MAKE ME USE IT.

Mmm hmm. Color me a skeptic, I'm not buying it.

Mmm hmm. Color me a skeptic, I'm not buying it.

Then buy a goddam hotdog. I WORRY ABOUT YOU KELZIE.

btw refute my video game argument if you can. "I'm not buying it" is a cop out.

Then buy a goddam hotdog. I WORRY ABOUT YOU KELZIE.

btw refute my video game argument if you can. "I'm not buying it" is a cop out.

Man, I thought the whole world knew I was a carnivore again. Moving on...the studies abound:

"Beta wave activity in people in the [highest amount of video game playing] was constantly near zero, even when they weren't playing, showing that they hardly used the prefrontal regions of their brains. Many of the people in this group told researchers that they got angry easily, couldn't concentrate, and had trouble associating with friends" (4). This suggests two important points. One, that the decrease of beta wave activity and usage of the prefrontal region of the brain may correlate with the aggressive behavior, and two, that the decrease of beta waves continued after the video game was turned off, implying a lasting effect. Another study found similar results and reported: "Youths who are heavy gamers can end up with 'video-game brain,' in which key parts of the frontal region of their brain become chronically underused, altering moods" (5). This study also asserts that a lack of use of the frontal brain, contributed by video games, can change moods and could account for aggressive and reclusive behavior.

The Effect of Video Games on the Brain

Video game playing leads to a decrease in brain activity, not an increased stimulation like you're implying. Constant stimulus? Nah, more like constant brain dead.

Man, I thought the whole world knew I was a carnivore again. Moving on...the studies abound:

The Effect of Video Games on the Brain

Video game playing leads to a decrease in brain activity, not an increased stimulation like you're implying. Constant stimulus? Nah, more like constant brain dead.

First I would like to say welcome back the the land of the daywalkers and congratulations. Tofu everywhere is bouncing up and down in glee as it's primary predator has removed herself from the food chain of non-eukaryotic life (i've been reading my biology book alot, yay adderall).

actually i'm retarded as vegi foods contain plenty of nucleus having life forms. boo sleep deprivation. boo insomnia.

moving on.

Normally I don't attack the author, but in this case I find it necessary. Students tend to say that video games, drugs, rock and roll, etc. are all bad and evil on their term papers because they think it is what their professors want to hear, and your reference was written by just such a student.

Second, stimulus - definition of stimulus by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Your argument is that ADHD brains wouldn't play more video games because video games don't provide stimulus, which is incorrect. Video games provide huge amounts of stimulus, just not the type of stimulus which requires active thought.

An ADHD brain abhors activities that require conscious and logical thinking. The brain wants instant gratification and sensory information anywhere it can get it. If nothing is happening for a few moments the brain shifts to something else.

The study the student referenced in that article did not state the type of game or games used in the study. The term "video game" is extremely generic and could apply to anything from a chess game (requiring conscious thought) to first person shooters (requiring no conscious thought).

Anyway this is all getting off track. Here is the point:

1. You are saying video game addiction has nothing to do with ADHD

2. I am saying that ADHD brains seek out the constant sensory input that video games provide

3. the benadryl i took an hour ago is supressing my adrenaline system and im falling asleep typing thisgoodnight.

First I would like to say welcome back the the land of the daywalkers and congratulations. Tofu everywhere is bouncing up and down in glee as it's primary predator has removed herself from the food chain of non-eukaryotic life (i've been reading my biology book alot, yay adderall).

actually i'm retarded as vegi foods contain plenty of nucleus having life forms. boo sleep deprivation. boo insomnia.

moving on.

I appreciate the welcome.

Normally I don't attack the author, but in this case I find it necessary. Students tend to say that video games, drugs, rock and roll, etc. are all bad and evil on their term papers because they think it is what their professors want to hear, and your reference was written by just such a student.

Normally, I agree with you. However, her (his?) paper was properly referenced and after an examination of the primary source, I can say that not only is the study ligitimate, but it is accurately portrayed in the term paper. So the quote stands, unless you feel like taking on the actual study.

Second, stimulus - definition of stimulus by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Your argument is that ADHD brains wouldn't play more video games because video games don't provide stimulus, which is incorrect. Video games provide huge amounts of stimulus, just not the type of stimulus which requires active thought.

That is an incorrect definition for stimulus in regards to brain activity. There does not exist a form of stimulus that causes less activity. So either you need to pick a different term or change your argument.

An ADHD brain abhors activities that require conscious and logical thinking. The brain wants instant gratification and sensory information anywhere it can get it. If nothing is happening for a few moments the brain shifts to something else.

If that was true, ADHD people would have no problem doing chores. Doesn't seem to be the case theough.

The study the student referenced in that article did not state the type of game or games used in the study. The term "video game" is extremely generic and could apply to anything from a chess game (requiring conscious thought) to first person shooters (requiring no conscious thought).

I looked at the primary source, and while I couldn't find what type of video game it was, I think chess is pretty unlikely.

Anyway this is all getting off track. Here is the point:

1. You are saying video game addiction has nothing to do with ADHD

Not...really. I'm saying that anyone who can stare at a screen for 10 hours straight has no problem with their attention span. Their willpower is the problem.

2. I am saying that ADHD brains seek out the constant sensory input that video games provide

Except if that were true, we would see an increase in brain activity when people play video games. The reverse is true.

3. the benadryl i took an hour ago is supressing my adrenaline system and im falling asleep typing thisgoodnight.

Laters. :2wave:

I'm going to ask to be put on the XR version. I know the drug works for me as far as school and focus goes, but the dopamine high is kind of a sensory overload of happiness that I have to fight to stay in control of.

Hopefully the xr version isn't going to have that crazy euphoria peak at the beginning that is screwing me up.

I guess I could try that new medication that is a reuptake inhibitor of only norepinephrine, but it scares me to consider what pure adrenaline with no dopamine would do to me. It has almost zero potential for abuse but the side effects are bad. The idea of walking around with the sympathetic nervous system switched on is terrifying.

What meds do you take? I'm curious what your doctor put you on if you said you got too much euphoria from dopamine. Almost every single medication for ADHD treatment has a dopamine neurotransmitter inhibitor.
You need to tell the doctor what you are experiencing, honestly, and let him (or her) decide what medication you need. Let the doctor do his job.

What "new" medication are you talking about, Strattera? It's another choice, and works for some people....like any of the ADHD meds. As far as side effects, every medication has the risk of side effects. The point I want to make, again, is that the doctor is the one who should be making the decisions about medication....not you or I.

I take Adderall. I can't take Ritalin, but I'm fine with Adderall. They are both stimulants, but they act differently on me. I didn't say that I get to much euphoria from dopamine, I said that I got undesirable side effects from Ritalin.

You need to tell the doctor what you are experiencing, honestly, and let him (or her) decide what medication you need. Let the doctor do his job.

What "new" medication are you talking about, Strattera? It's another choice, and works for some people....like any of the ADHD meds. As far as side effects, every medication has the risk of side effects. The point I want to make, again, is that the doctor is the one who should be making the decisions about medication....not you or I.

I take Adderall. I can't take Ritalin, but I'm fine with Adderall. They are both stimulants, but they act differently on me. I didn't say that I get to much euphoria from dopamine, I said that I got undesirable side effects from Ritalin.

Me: "Hello again doctor. Sorry I'm kind of tired. I worked 8 hours last night and went to school for 5 hours before that. This lady on the internet said I should see you immediately because I like how dopamine feels. I'd like to try the XR version so I don't get the addictive dopamine rush as it is hard to control."

Dr. PsychiatristManDudePerson: "Ok. Let's try that. Here is a script for Adderall XR instead of your normal Adderall. Remember to pay my secretary $200.00 on the way out and have a nice day."

NO THANK YOU. I LIKE MY BANK ACCOUNT JUST THE WAY IT IS.

Also you said that the euphoria was one of the undesirable side effects of your Ritalin, which is interesting because Adderall blocks the same amount of dopamine and should give you the exact same effect plus added stimulation from the adrenaline reuptake inhibitor.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I am saying this: the only people incapable of getting euphoric from increased dopamine levels are people with Parkinson's disease, which I doubt you have. Dopamine is the addictive component in almost every street drug out there, and it affects everyone in the same way.

Admit it: adderall feels good.

Congratulations on being able to control your intake of cocaine. It's something most people can't do.

Me: "Hello again doctor. Sorry I'm kind of tired. I worked 8 hours last night and went to school for 5 hours before that. This lady on the internet said I should see you immediately because I like how dopamine feels. I'd like to try the XR version so I don't get the addictive dopamine rush as it is hard to control."

Dr. PsychiatristManDudePerson: "Ok. Let's try that. Here is a script for Adderall XR instead of your normal Adderall. Remember to pay my secretary $200.00 on the way out and have a nice day."

NO THANK YOU. I LIKE MY BANK ACCOUNT JUST THE WAY IT IS.

Also you said that the euphoria was one of the undesirable side effects of your Ritalin, which is interesting because Adderall blocks the same amount of dopamine and should give you the exact same effect plus added stimulation from the adrenaline reuptake inhibitor.
No, Adderall does not block dopamine, (or reuptake of dopamine, which is what I assume you meant) or block adrenaline reuptake. It triggers the release of dopamine and noradrenaline. Very different action, with a similar (not identical) effect. Please see the reference below.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I am saying this: the only people incapable of getting euphoric from increased dopamine levels are people with Parkinson's disease, which I doubt you have. Dopamine is the addictive component in almost every street drug out there, and it affects everyone in the same way.
I'm telling you my own personal experience, because you asked about it. I don't really care if you believe me or not. No, these medications do NOT affect everyone the same way.

Admit it: adderall feels good.
Taking Adderall doesn't "feel good," but it feels good to be able to focus and get things done.

Congratulations on being able to control your intake of cocaine. It's something most people can't do.
:roll:
The effects of methylphenidate are often likened to those of cocaine and studies have shown similarities in the two. Both drugs have the ability to block dopamine transporters. The reuptake of catecholamines noradrenaline and dopamine are blocked, leaving them in the synapse in increased concentrations, promoting the elevation of mood and the feelings of alertness, well-being, verboseness, or superiority (1). In addition, a study using baboons showed that the regions of distribution of methylphenidate and cocaine in the brain are similar, and there is competition for binding sites between the two on the post-synaptic terminal (1).

In 1996, the FDA approved Adderall, a combination of mixed amphetamine salts amphetamine and dextroamphetamine, for the treatment of AD/HD. Adderall is an alternative medication to Ritalin (methylphenidate), and is often prescribed as the Plan B when Ritalin is not effective. With duration in the brain lasting twice as long as methylphenidate, Adderall can be administered half as frequently and is advantageous to parents who would prefer to avoid in-school doses.

Like methylphenidate, this amphetamine combination may improve attention span, self-control, and the ability to concentrate. The cocaine-like feelings of courage and superiority are not as common in higher doses of Adderall as they are with methylphenidate, but the amphetamines of Adderall often improve the mood and productivity similarly to methylphenidate. Instead of blocking the dopamine reuptake, amphetamines trigger the release of more dopamine and noradrenaline.
Adderall, Ritalin, AD/HD, and Abuse
Interesting article, you should read the whole thing.

That's why there are different medications out there, because different meds work better for different people.

Regarding contacting your doctor....
It's your life. :2wave:

Last edited:
While the exact mechanism is unknown, it is believed that Adderall works by blocking the reuptake of dopamine and norepinephrine into the presynaptic neuron and increasing their release from the presynaptic neuron into the extraneuronal space. In other words, Adderall reverses the reuptake mechanism, turning it into a pump instead of a vacuum. Sources note that amphetamine and related compounds (ephedrine, etc.) displace noradrenaline from the presynaptic neuron and do not act as reuptake inhibitors as referenced above.

Adderall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I honestly don't know. Both our sources aren't very good. Yours comes from a student research paper and mine comes from wikipedia. I don't feel like doing any serious research on the mechanism of the drug at the moment so bleh.

If you can find any press releases from the manufacturer or papers written by biochemists on the subject I'd love to read them, but I'll be god damned if I'm going to take another student research paper written by some 19 year old as gospel in regards to biology.

I'm on a two day break from adderall at the moment so I'm feeling less than inspired right now. I'll be back in 2 days with deeper thoughts on the issue.

Back
Top Bottom