• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Might as Well Get My Feet Wet - About Abortion!

1SGRet

Reaction score
Newbie here. First thread on this forum - ABOUT ABORTION! The Terri Schiavo thing got me to thinking again. Dangerous. Ok, here goes.

Does the Catholic hierarchy see any connection between literally hundreds of priests molesting multiple 'children' apiece and the absolute refusal to even consider any kind of abortion? Is it possible to realize that those kids may have had their lives ruined? OK, apples and oranges. Not the same deal that at all. Circuitous and specious reasoning. Blah, blah, blah.

'Nother example. Guy - good Roman Catholic, has a 14 year year H.S. Freshman girl. She gets raped, brutally, by a nasty person of shall we say a different ethnicity. She gets pregnant (as is almost inevitable in these cases).
Do you abort, keep the baby or give it to Children and Families or some other organization? After all, the kid's not at fault. Or, in the case of either/or, but not both? Take your pick proud papa, is it your daughter's life or the rapist's child's life? (Not to many dilemmas of that type nowadays, but it could happen.)

I am against abortion. Seems a particularly barbaric practice, even a very sinful practice. But my rights are discontinued where yours start. Old f*rts, (like me), or even young f*rts should not be able to determine - even through process of law - when, or if someone else gets an abortion. Goes for f*rtesses, as well.

Roe versus Wade. An upheaval of same is nearly on the horizon. All GWB needs to do do is get some more tendentious U.S. Supreme Court justices in there.

I will never be popular again. But, I don't wanta spend federal funds on abortion either. By the same token, although I've already fought on the ground in two wars, I am not spectacularly happy about my taxes going to I-raq and killing innocents. I know, I know. They sent in a few human bombs...

Hi 1SGRet! Welcome to the forum. :2wave: This is an excellent place to vent. Nice start. :mrgreen:

Along this line, I'd like to hear an abortion advocate logically explain the moral dilemma inherent in supporting abortion as a form of birth control.

I recognize that not all abortions are created equal--cases of rape/incest/health of mother are in a separate category from those elective case. As a physician, I have taken care of numerous women who have had consensual unprotected sex, discovered they were pregnant, decided they didn't want to have a child, and had an abortion. No health concerns, no rape, no severe psychological disorder, the woman was aware of contraceptive methods and had access to them, but felt enduring a pregnancy would be inconvenient. This is the kind of abortion that I just cannot rationalize. The only difference between justifying a second trimester abortion and justifying euthanizing a newborn is a few months. Therein lies the dilemma.

So, I'd like to hear someone walk me through how they justify THIS KIND OF ABORTION. Is it the slippery slope argument, that banning this kind of abortion might lead to banning more ethically-acceptable abortions? I'm seeking intelligent comments from those who see this as acceptable. Thanks.

casper_t_f_g said:
Along this line, I'd like to hear an abortion advocate logically explain the moral dilemma inherent in supporting abortion as a form of birth control.

I recognize that not all abortions are created equal--cases of rape/incest/health of mother are in a separate category from those elective case. As a physician, I have taken care of numerous women who have had consensual unprotected sex, discovered they were pregnant, decided they didn't want to have a child, and had an abortion. No health concerns, no rape, no severe psychological disorder, the woman was aware of contraceptive methods and had access to them, but felt enduring a pregnancy would be inconvenient. This is the kind of abortion that I just cannot rationalize. The only difference between justifying a second trimester abortion and justifying euthanizing a newborn is a few months. Therein lies the dilemma.

So, I'd like to hear someone walk me through how they justify THIS KIND OF ABORTION. Is it the slippery slope argument, that banning this kind of abortion might lead to banning more ethically-acceptable abortions? I'm seeking intelligent comments from those who see this as acceptable. Thanks.

Another professional. Welcome! I happen to be a lawyer who has never practiced, and never will, but maybe I can add a legal perspective. Or, maybe not. Yeah, I believe the doc should have some input. You should have the right not to perform any abortion, unless the situation is emergent. After all, there always will be time to check out an (abortion) mill.

How's the legislation working out now in your state? Or, the courts' decisions? I definitely do not believe in abortions, but I don't believe in my right to make any determinations. In your case I do, both medically and morally...

Back
Top Bottom