• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Middle East expert says he worries Turkey influenced Trump's Syria decision

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/4...ies-turkey-influenced-trumps-decision-to-pull

Middle East expert Nick Heras said on Thursday that he is concerned that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan influenced President Trump's decision to pull U.S. troops from Syria.

"What I worry about is that in his discussions with President Erdogan, Erdogan sold him a lie, that Turkey actually wants to prevent the reemergence of ISIS, and that it isn't trying to get into eastern Syria to suppress the Kurds," Heras, a Middle East security fellow at the Center for a new American Security, told Hill.TV's Krystal Ball and Buck Sexton on "Rising."
==================================================
Trump likes strongmen like Erdogan & Putin & therefore takes their advice. Withdraw from Syria? No problem: Ergogan, while I'm sure Putin is enjoying the show he paid for by getting Trump elected.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/4...ies-turkey-influenced-trumps-decision-to-pull

Middle East expert Nick Heras said on Thursday that he is concerned that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan influenced President Trump's decision to pull U.S. troops from Syria.

"What I worry about is that in his discussions with President Erdogan, Erdogan sold him a lie, that Turkey actually wants to prevent the reemergence of ISIS, and that it isn't trying to get into eastern Syria to suppress the Kurds," Heras, a Middle East security fellow at the Center for a new American Security, told Hill.TV's Krystal Ball and Buck Sexton on "Rising."
Trump likes strongmen like Erdogan & Putin & therefore takes their advice. Withdraw from Syria? No problem: Ergogan, while I'm sure Putin is enjoying the show he paid for by getting Trump elected.

Turkey is a major player in Syria, if Turkey did not influence the call then Trump is negligent.

"NEXT!"

Remember Flynn had a big role in Turkey too... So that means...Mueller time!

Remember Flynn had a big role in Turkey too... So that means...Mueller time!

If Mueller is a complete degenerate, and at this point with as badly as he is performing at great cost to the nation that is sadly a possibility.

If Mueller is a complete degenerate, and at this point with as badly as he is performing at great cost to the nation that is sadly a possibility.

You might want to stop repeating things Trump says if you want to maintain any credibility you have left.

Well...he did sort of promise to do this back in 2016:

Trump pledges to pull back in Middle East...Demanding that the “destructive cycle of intervention and chaos must finally come to an end,” Trump reiterated to the crowd in his latest “thank you” speech — this one notably lower-key than most of his campaign rallies — that he sees the United States pulling back from interventionism and involvement in conflicts around the world that he doesn’t judge to be in America’s vital national interest.
https://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-middle-east-isis-232291

Meanwhile, I am surprised by Progressives who are upset by this idea, since the argument has always been American interventionism is what created the problems in the Middle East in the first place.

Last edited:

And Flynn's work for Erdogan...How convenient. Was this a message to Flynn?

Well...he did sort of promise to do this back in 2016:

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-middle-east-isis-232291

Meanwhile, I am surprised by Progressives who are upset by this idea, since the argument has always been American interventionism is what created the problems in the Middle East in the first place.

Yeah; I really don't understand what they're whining about ... Trump is doing what they've been howling about all along: we should get out of the ME because the US had no business in going there in the first place.

I wonder what they're gonna say when half of our troops in Afghanistan start returning in the coming weeks ...

You might want to stop repeating things Trump says if you want to maintain any credibility you have left.

I am a Truth Teller, all of my credibility comes from being right, it is being right that I care about most not what you or anyone else thinks of me.

EDIT: The illusion of "Me" actually, as in Zen "Me" is like a computer simulation, sort of....we dont believe in Me like most folks.

Does anyone here care to tell us why Turkey is important to NATO, or why we shouldn’t just dump them on their ass?

That they have it in for the Kurds who have been kicking ISIS's ass it makes no sense. This gives Iran a clear path and Russia what they desperately need.

I am a Truth Teller, all of my credibility comes from being right, it is being right that I care about most not what you or anyone else thinks of me.

EDIT: The illusion of "Me" actually, as in Zen "Me" is like a computer simulation, sort of....we dont believe in Me like most folks.

:lamo

First Trump didn't win by votes but the Electoral College. He lost by two or three million votes and the electoral manuever was mostly luck. But now we got him and Putin's not to blame, but the DNC for presenting a candidate with so much baggage. Perhaps Erdogan told Trump we were illegal invaders in Syria. Truth. Perhaps he suggested he could live with the Kurds if they if the Kurds allied with Assad and Syria. Maybe a light clicked on in his mind and the thought that we are not bringing peace to Syria manifested itself. Truth. Saudi Arabia and Qatar and maybe us since we are a close ally, supporting ISIS in Syria. Perhaps we wanted to keep a destabilizing force conveniently handy. Maybe Trump wised up to CIA/MIC/NeoCon intrigues. Maybe good things are going to happen.
/

Kurds have been our staunchest allies in the region for years. Erdogan wants the ability to slaughter the Kurds in Syria with impunity; Trump just said, "Sure, go get 'em."

That betrayal and the Kurdish blood spilled because of it will be on America's hands; we will all have to live with the blame, and the shame. God help them.

Does anyone here care to tell us why Turkey is important to NATO, or why we shouldn’t just dump them on their ass?

Turkey is important to NATO due to some brinksmanship during the Cuban missile crisis. Its long and complicated but an independent Turkey free of Russian influence is a large barrier on Russia, primarily due to ports.

Kurds have been our staunchest allies in the region for years. Erdogan wants the ability to slaughter the Kurds in Syria with impunity; Trump just said, "Sure, go get 'em."

That betrayal and the Kurdish blood spilled because of it will be on America's hands; we will all have to live with the blame, and the shame. God help them.

We haven't had any American President stand with the Kurds as much as they have deserved. Its a damned shame.

An afterthought. It is the alleged "experts" that have steered us into these morasses that are profit streams for the MIC. We've pissed away $5 trillion on wars that feed the wrong dog. From the old adage, "the dog you feed is the one that grows." Who's the money behind the "Center for a new American Security?" If the answer to that question is not clarified, then the expert is bogus.
/

On this, we agree.

The Kurds best bet has always been to make peace with Assad and Syria. The USA has been arming and funding them to create another insurgency in Syria. The Kurds need Syria because Erdogan would wipe them out given the opportunity.
/

Who wants to go to war to create a Kurdistan out of Turkish, Iranian, and Iraqi real estate? Why do you expect Trump to make us the worlds policeman? We need to get out of the middle east snake pit.

I suppose the democrats would have supported George Bush senior going to war against Iran and Turkey while he was at it and making a coutry for the Kurds since our army was there in Iraq already. What are they going to do, call 911?

We haven't had any American President stand with the Kurds as much as they have deserved. Its a damned shame.
Never thought that Americans would support a communist rebel group..

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom