• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mid-Term VP Switch?

easyt65

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Rumor has been going around lately that VP Cheney will step aside - retire - at the mid-point in this last 4-year term, making way for a strong GOP candidate for 2008.

While the Democrats have been sniping every strong GOP potential candidate, targeting them for accusations and/or charges, are they about to be blindsided by a tactical GOP move?

Bush is gone after this term, and Cheney has no intention of running for VP, so the GOP is left in somewhat of a bind, and the Democrats seem to target for elimination every GOP that starts to rise to the top. If Cheney steps aside and the future/2008 GOP candidate is aet up in the White House, will the Libs be able to pry the GOP's deasthgrip off the White house?

Do you think this is going to happen?

If possible, who would get the nod?

On a similar note, I don't know the process of getting a new Vice President in office. Can the President just name a new one? Does the Senate have to approve him or her? Does anyone know?

On your note, I'd like to see Giuliani, Huckabee or Condeleeza Rice. If they could get Rice in there, then if the Democrats decided to play the impeachment card and get it, then a black woman would become the first President and sure cut Hillary off from being the first woman President... Wouldn't that be a witch with a capital b?

reaganburch said:
On your note, I'd like to see Giuliani, Huckabee or Condeleeza Rice.
Govenor Mike Huckabee? :shock::shock::shock:

Simon W. Moon said:
Govenor Mike Huckabee? :shock::shock::shock:

I was just saying it to see if the Governor from our little backward state had any name recognition outside of Arkansas... wait, that's where Clinton came from... hmmmm...

In all seriousness, we could do much worse... there could be an ex-first lady of Arkansas become President...

Republicans have some great candidates fort president in 2008........McCain, Juliani, Rice, and Allen come to mind....All would crush the "Ice Princess" Hillary........

The Republican party is in pretty good shape for 2008 because no matter who they offer they can't be worse than Bush, so they are in a no lose situation.

Navy Pride said:
Republicans have some great candidates fort president in 2008........McCain, Juliani, Rice, and Allen come to mind....All would crush the "Ice Princess" Hillary........

it is naive to the point of foolishness to believe that any election in the near future won't be close. The culture of hate in today's politics ensures that there will be very little crossing lines. The next election will be very close no matter who runs.

easyt65 said:
Rumor has been going around lately that VP Cheney will step aside - retire - at the mid-point in this last 4-year term, making way for a strong GOP candidate for 2008.

While the Democrats have been sniping every strong GOP potential candidate, targeting them for accusations and/or charges, are they about to be blindsided by a tactical GOP move?

Bush is gone after this term, and Cheney has no intention of running for VP, so the GOP is left in somewhat of a bind, and the Democrats seem to target for elimination every GOP that starts to rise to the top. If Cheney steps aside and the future/2008 GOP candidate is aet up in the White House, will the Libs be able to pry the GOP's deasthgrip off the White house?

Do you think this is going to happen?

If possible, who would get the nod?
I posted about this a few weeks ago, and got the crap flamed out of me for it. Glad you brought it up again, because I think that, after the midterm elections, Cheney will be toast. Whoever they replace Cheney with will be someone they will groom for the 2008 elections. In addition, Cheney's replacement would only be part of a general shift towards ridding the executive branch, and the Republican party in general, of all Neocon influences. This has already begun. The move of Rice to Secretary of State, and giving her the leeway to effectively neuter Donald Rumsfeld on foreign policy is another sign of this. Rice herself might make a good candidate, expecially if the Democrats decide to commit suicide and run Hillary.

Navy Pride said:
Agreed... However, Rice would almost have to be on the ticket in whichever capacity to split the black vote, as well as the women... Seems Hillary's base is swaying but she is quite the chameleon. I've noticed she has softened her speeches since she was right and left jabbed for sounding so angrily in them. She is not kidding anyone on the right... We all know that she's in the running.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
Not a chance. Look for Newt in '08.

CAN'T WAIT 'TIL 2008

I think we'll see a McCain/Giuliani ticket in 08, setting up a run of quite a long time.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
Not a chance. Look for Newt in '08.

CAN'T WAIT 'TIL 2008

A real Conservative instead of a donkey in an elephant suit? Hell yes. I'd vote for Newt. I also like Tom McClintock of California, but he is a real dark horse, and I expect that he will stay in California politics.

danarhea said:
A real Conservative instead of a donkey in an elephant suit? Hell yes. I'd vote for Newt. I also like Tom McClintock of California, but he is a real dark horse, and I expect that he will stay in California politics.
I heard Newt hint at it on Fox's Hannity and Jack *** not long ago.
What about Rice and Bush (Jeb)... A longshot maybe but I can picture some behind the scenes planning there. Condi steps up to VP and in '08 names Jeb as a running mate..? The mind of Rove..:cool:

Back
Top Bottom